HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:12 PM

Opening a satellite campus in Gary is probably the best thing Notre Dame could do to help that city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wasaga is colder than say, Sauble Beach or the beaches around Grand Bend, as the former is located on Georgian Bay, which is considerably colder than the rest of Lake Huron.

Balmy in the summertime:

The water at the beaches of North Shore Lake Erie are even warmer (maybe too warm, as the latter lake water doesn't feel as...fresh?).

Osoyoos Lake (BC) is warm as soup in July-August.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Opening a satellite campus in Gary is probably the best thing Notre Dame could do to help that city.
FWIW, Indiana University does have a satellite campus in Gary (IU Northwest), but it's one of those car-centric post-war commuter schools that was built about 3 miles south of downtown. Unfortunately, it's not designed/positioned to be an urban revitalization engine.

Purdue University also has a satellite campus in neighboring Hammond, IN (Purdue Northwest), but it's more of the same.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 24, 2024 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:15 PM

Rust belt fact!

The Lake Erie AVA near Erie is the largest grape growing region east of the Rockies, supporting a robust wine and tourism industry. Now you know. Brrrap.

Just Google viewing around Erie, it looks kind of cool.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 10:24 PM
E pluribus unum

Grew up on the other end of the Ohio a long time ago, but I still have a hard time disassociating dead lake-level pollution from Lake Erie.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:34 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Rust belt fact!

The Lake Erie AVA near Erie is the largest grape growing region east of the Rockies, supporting a robust wine and tourism industry. Now you know. Brrrap.

Just Google viewing around Erie, it looks kind of cool.
That is an interesting factoid.

The rust belt image is way more "beer and a bump" than wine.

But it's also a region of "anything that gets ya drunk" too, so......

Make that wine!

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Grew up on the other end of the Ohio a long time ago, but I still have a hard time disassociating dead lake-level pollution from Lake Erie.
Well, that kinda sounds like your own unfamiliarity, right? I mean, come on... it's not the 1960s, 70s, or even 80s anymore. Eutrophication in the lake from pollution was brought down to target levels by the mid-1980s -- that was 40 years ago.

Some people still also think that Pittsburgh is some smoky hellhole, that Miami consists of nothing but 80-year old retirees playing shuffleboard, that Texas is nothing but cowboys...

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Well, that kinda sounds like your own unfamiliarity, right? I mean, come on... it's not the 1960s, 70s, or even 80s anymore. Eutrophication in the lake from pollution was brought down to target levels by the mid-1980s -- that was 40 years ago.

Some people still also think that Pittsburgh is some smoky hellhole, that Miami consists of nothing but 80-year old retirees playing shuffleboard, that Texas is nothing but cowboys...
I have a friend that spend a long weekend in Port Cliinton, Ohio this summer and said she was shocked by how much she liked it. This is a bougie creative from Brooklyn.

She also said they went to one of the nicer restaurants in town one night and had the most abyssmal service she's had in any eating establishment ever, but still loved the town overall.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that Lake Erie grape factoid is incorrect. At least if we're talking grapes for wine.

Neither PA nor OH are major wine states. Minimal production. NY is the #2 wine state, but the Lake Erie shore isn't a major part of that production. Most NY wine is from Finger Lakes or North Fork of LI, with a little around Hudson Valley and Niagara/Lake Ontario. MI has some wine, but around Lake Michigan, not around Erie.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:17 PM

I thought Washington would be the #2 state for wine production after CA. If not by volume, then probably by value.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:19 PM

The southern part of Essex County has 20 estate wineries along Lake Erie, and is the third largest wine region in Ontario after Niagara and Prince Edward County.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm pretty sure that Lake Erie grape factoid is incorrect. At least if we're talking grapes for wine.

Neither PA nor OH are major wine states. Minimal production. NY is the #2 wine state, but the Lake Erie shore isn't a major part of that production. Most NY wine is from Finger Lakes or North Fork of LI, with a little around Hudson Valley and Niagara/Lake Ontario. MI has some wine, but around Lake Michigan, not around Erie.
The fact is that the Lake Erie region is the second largest grape growing region in the US.

But certainly not for wine production. Probably less than 20% fo the crop goes to wine, it's mainly Concord and Niagara grapes for sale to regional markets and to agribusiness fodd/beverage giants like Welch's for juice, jellies, etc.

It's quite beautiful country.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I have a friend that spend a long weekend in Port Cliinton, Ohio this summer and said she was shocked by how much she liked it. This is a bougie creative from Brooklyn.

She also said they went to one of the nicer restaurants in town one night and had the most abyssmal service she's had in any eating establishment ever, but still loved the town overall.
I've only been to the Port Clinton/Sandusky/Put-In-Bay area a couple of times as an adult, and yeah, it was defintely pretty fun and overall nice area... and that's the crappy part of Lake Erie!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:32 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Oh its absolutely ignorance on my part and I should know better. Even visiting Pittsburgh in 2005 and Cleveland in 2007 neither at that time were anything like what they were 20 to 30 years prior to that.

What I failed to elaborate is my realization of where there are booms in vineyards and wine making. Hell, about an hour south of me (Verde Valley) is another major hot spot (at least regionally).

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Growing up in Cincinnati in the 90s and 2000s, I never thought much about Lake Erie, but definitely didn't associate it with dead lake levels of pollution. I went to Cedar Point a few times as a kid and the lake looked pretty and blue, and that was really my only exposure to Lake Erie. Now, I definitely did associate Cleveland as being a dirty city growing up. I remember learning about the Cuyahoga River catching on fire in school, and they always played this classic clip of Sam Wyche yelling 'you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati' at Bengals games. I didn't visit Cleveland until after college, and I found it to be much nicer than I was expecting.

Old Posted Today, 12:37 AM
E pluribus unum

This was my association, which is admittedly very outdated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-S3...el=TimeBandito

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions