HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 8:29 PM

But green roofs are not parks, they're just not. Nowhere in the city, that I'm aware of, are green roofs treated as true open public space.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
But green roofs are not parks, they're just not. Nowhere in the city, that I'm aware of, are green roofs treated as true open public space.
Technically, Millennium and Maggie Daley Parks are both green roofs.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Technically yes, but both are owned and operated by the City of Chicago as public open space. And unlike the 1901 Project renderings, both of those examples are generally accessible at-grade, without requiring visitors to climb excessive stairs or ramps.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:26 PM
TL;DR

Hard to see the entire development working with retail at the ground floor. You can't just conjure Wrigleyville out of nothing, and this is probably even more street frontage than Wrigleyville has.

The elevated parks could be deadening, BUT the UC is heavily programmed with events. If the parks include upper-level gates into the arena, then I expect the parks will be pretty lively most nights with sports fans and concert-goers. The 20th century was kind of a testing period for this sort of multi-level urbanism and there were lots of failures, but I think it's possible and unavoidable to make them work in the future. some places do it better than others (Lakeshore East, Hong Kong, etc).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:34 AM
Urbane observer

I wish there were a site plan to study, but it seems odd that they've put the new concert venue about as far as possible from the transit stations (existing and dreamt-of).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I wish there were a site plan to study, but it seems odd that they've put the new concert venue about as far as possible from the transit stations (existing and dreamt-of).
The new music venue should be about 2 blocks north of the IMD station’s Damen entrance, so it shouldn’t be too bad

Also, the most siteplan-ish image I could find. Not true site plan though but it’s as good as I have. A true site plan would be so appreciated

Last edited by Jstange059; Jul 25, 2024 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 4:05 AM

Chicago tag was added to this thread - nice!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
true, but these "roofs" at millennium park at street level for pedestrians, given the muti-level streets in that area of downtown.

this would not be the case in the united center plan - some of the renderings show the park space is one or two stories above the street level

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
true, but these "roofs" at millennium park at street level for pedestrians, given the muti-level streets in that area of downtown.

this would not be the case in the united center plan - some of the renderings show the park space is one or two stories above the street level
Many parts of Millennium Park require climbing stairs or a ramp. The 606 also requires stairs/ramps. The High Line in NYC requires stairs/ramps. Transbay Terminal Park in San Francisco is several stories above street level. There are a lot of examples of above-grade parks in Chicago and around the country. It's a neat idea.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Here's a diagram with phase 1 highlighted, via YIMBY:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:05 PM

Yeah I think the elevated parks could be fine if at least one side sloped down toward grade. Or wide inviting steps the entire length of one side. Otherwise a rooftop green space is simply that but not a park. See greenspace on Willis Tower renovation as another example.
Nevertheless, this scale of development is very exciting for the UC area even if it takes 20 years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:25 PM
1st Ward

Something that has been a bit of a pipe dream of mine when it comes to CTA connectivity is creating a Pink line IMD stop where the Paulina connector crosses over the Blue line at 290, while rebuilding the Blue line IMD stop and creating one combined transfer station, with the main entrance and exists located at Ogden and Paulina (the existing entrance at Damen could be kept as well). It really irks me that two CTA lines cross and do not have a direct transfer. While I understand that such a costly project is not a priority for the CTA and funds need to be used elsewhere for more pressing issues, with a potential future Near West Side development boom taking place it might be something that the CTA could be/should be planning for at some point down the line.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:21 PM

Is there a chance that some of this high $7B estimate would go towards renovating or rebuilding the United Center? The current projects announced don't pencil to that amount.

Isn't it a bit strange that they'd spend billions on improving the area around the United Center but nothing on the venue itself?

I've seen no mention for any plans regarding the actual United Center in the 1901 announcement.

At the end of this 10 year plan the building will be 40 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
7 billion. For a few two story buildings and some green space. Riiiiight. Brag much? lol

What's the latest tab on the entire renovation of O'hare airport's main terminal?

A new indoor stadium for the Bears? 4 bil with infrastructure?

So 7 billion for this? Ok

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:32 PM

they have been renovating it including the new back office space, new jumbotron, outdoor LEDs etc. and fundamentally, theres nothing wrong with it and has plenty of capacity

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
they have been renovating it including the new back office space, new jumbotron, outdoor LEDs etc. and fundamentally, theres nothing wrong with it and has plenty of capacity
Yea, I feel like it has been getting consistent upgrades for the past 10 years. It might be an MSG-type building that will be around for 60+ years. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Many parts of Millennium Park require climbing stairs or a ramp. The 606 also requires stairs/ramps. The High Line in NYC requires stairs/ramps. Transbay Terminal Park in San Francisco is several stories above street level. There are a lot of examples of above-grade parks in Chicago and around the country. It's a neat idea.
well its not really about stairs..... its the lack of connection to the street level experiences and vice versa, which creates the lively environment that people want to be in on the street and in the park. its the same concept as a parking podium at the base of a high rise.

the 606 and high line are adaptive reuse projects. you wouldn't create those from scratch..... and terminal bay park is widely panned as a failed project. a park that is 4 stories above street level that requires an actual gondola ride to access.... who came up with that idea...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 9:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
fundamentally, theres nothing wrong with it and has plenty of capacity
Yeah, you can legitimately fault JR and Dollar Bill for all kinds of stupid shit over the years, but at least they did get it right when they future-proofed the UC by building it really big.

It's now the 5th oldest arena in the NBA, and soon to also be the 5th oldest arena in the NHL, yet it's still #1 in capacity for the NBA and #2 in capacity for the NHL.

And the physical building itself is still in fine shape after 3 decades, thanks to continuous improvements and refinements. There's no reason it can't usefully serve its purpose for another 3 decades, or more.

100% of the reason why the UC sucks is due to that ocean of blank, lifeless, city-killing, soul-crushing asphalt that surrounds it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Yesterday at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:49 PM

I know it's pointless to wish for anything specific at this stage, but hoping they include something as dense as possible with a high-end hotel as an anchor tenant. With the United Center's chock-full yearly schedule and teams/performers/attendees circulating through, wondering if something like that couldn't be supported nearby.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguy View Post
but hoping they include something as dense as possible with a high-end hotel as an anchor tenant.
The first phase is supposed to include a hotel tower, which based on the renderings will contain about 7 or 8 floors of hotel rooms. Of course we don’t know what chain it will be, but considering the prime location, I’d expect it to be high-end

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:33 PM

I hope we can get more information about that tall building by Ashland. It looks cool! lol

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development