HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:19 PM

Great news! What we also need is a nice lounge.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:11 PM

Great to hear! Looking forward to checking it out. That really anchors a lot of gay nightlife in the area. Helps to create a critical mass of bar/club hopping. Its a bummer that Rebel Rebel couldn't hold on. That was a great place with unique vibe.

Total non sequitur question. Does anyone know if there are any plans for that parking lot at 4th/5th and Couch/Davis? In my fantasy Portland that would transform into an Asian night market on weekends with amazing street food stalls. One of my grievances with Portland is how hard it is to find a place to eat after 9pm. Imagine hitting the bars/clubs and then absorbing the booze with some amazing noodles before you head home.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:21 PM

Notice Of A Type Ix Proposal for the conversion of the Mason Ehrman building and annex to residential.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:08 PM

Via Portland Maps, office-to-residential at 321 NW Glisan St:

Quote:
Conversion of seven story office building to residential use. No exterior changes. Zoning Code secons being addressed and Adjustments sought:33.130.230.B Ground floor windowsAdjustment #1: Ground floor windows for non-dwelling use at South façade = 30 %. Requirement is 40%.Adjustment #2: Ground floor windows for non-dwelling use at West Façade = 0 %. Requirement is 25%.Adjustment #3: Ground floor windows for non-dwelling use at East Façade = 0 %. Requirement is 25%.Adjustment #4: Ground floor windows for dwelling use at West Façade = 13 %. Requirement is 25%.Adjustment #5: Ground floor windows for dwelling use at East Façade = 0 %. Requirement is 25%.33.130.230.A Windows in street facing facadesAdjustment #6: Street facing windows in West Façade = 8 %. Requirement is 25%.Adjustment #7: Street facing windows in East Façade = 10 %. Requirement is 25%.
I recall that PNCA leased some space at one point, which I assume they now longer occupy. Did it ever have any other tenants?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I recall that PNCA leased some space at one point, which I assume they now longer occupy. Did it ever have any other tenants?
Cool! Assume they'll punch windows on the backside. The building behind it could be perfect for some NY style lofts.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 11:41 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Made in Old Town

I am puzzled by information that I have gleaned in the press about the visionary Made in Old Town project, which received a boost of seed money from the most recent session of the Oregon Legislature. In this particular article, https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ca/ar-BB1loVxW there are renderings that include historic buildings that have other redevelopment plans in the works for them. For instance, the two buildings on the east side of NW 5th Avenue between Davis and Everett Streets are in the process of being converted to housing, as discussed elsewhere in this thread. Furthermore, the historic building at the NW corner of NW 4th and Davis has been purchased by a nonprofit with religious affiliations to be converted into a kind of homeless help center with shelter beds.

Does anyone on this site know which buildings in Old Town are actually the ones that would house the mega-incubator for innovative shoe design and production?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Does anyone on this site know which buildings in Old Town are actually the ones that would house the mega-incubator for innovative shoe design and production?
The 1905 "Enterprise Building" at 406 NW Glisan Street?

Last edited by Rob Nob; Jul 15, 2024 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 10:09 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
The 1905 "Enterprise Building" at 406 NW Glisan Street
Very interesting! That is the same building that was purchased by a pair of Black shoe industry entrepreneurs for the purpose of creating an art center for people of color. Refer to this 2023 Oregonian article:
https://www.oregonlive.com/entertain...-old-town.html

Does anyone on this site know more of this story? Did the pair of partners switch gears to become part of this innovative incubator project?

Old Posted Today, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Yeah not good, but not terribly surprising taking into account Covid/work from home, the 2020 riots, and just the fact that Portland has so many other lively, hip neighborhoods nearby without the social ills of a downtown. The city center has improved a lot since 2020 as far as cleaning up etc, but we gotta move past triage phase - it’s going to take some bold, creative vision to make DT a place people actively choose to live over NW, Mississippi, Sellwood, Central Eastside…. etc etc.
Saw this yesterday. Darcelle Showplace at risk of going out of biz. Interesting statement though. Besides Darcelle passing, saying people don't even want to come down at night.

“Between Darcelle passing and coming out of COVID, people are still hesitant to come to Old Town, so we’re doing our best to work with our neighbors to make sure Old Town is thriving. We started a brunch show and that’s our biggest seller. That’s a reflection that people prefer to come to Old Town in the daytime,” Cook said.

https://www.koin.com/news/portland/d...ness-07242024/

Old Posted Today, 4:13 PM
Mostly Up To Code

If we want people to hang out in Old Town at night, I feel like we're going to need transit options that run both later and more frequently. I can walk to Old Town easily enough, but for most people the 30+ minute frequency is going to be a deal-breaker. Easier to just do something closer to home.

Old Posted Today, 4:40 PM

It's on the edge of the district, but Badlands has been very very busy every time I've been since opening. Hopefully that bodes well for the neighborhood.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland