HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 2:39 PM

Denscity back with a bang. Love it. I do appreciate the passion both yourself and Nikko bring to the thread. Well said Metro.

Kelowna only hit 30.8c yesterday and you could definitely feel a bit of a "chill" in the air, which is a very odd thing to say when temps are still over the 30c mark. It amazing how fast one can get climatized to a long string of sweltering days.

The smoke has dissipated, but a thin layer of smoke and cloud hung around in a higher elevation which allowed for a very nice sunset last night.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just want to add that I appreciate Denscity's posts just as much as Nicko's.

Some gentle sparring between intelligent posters helps to make this site always interesting.

Just as long as people don't take things too seriously........

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well, since when do most on here who like / boast about heat also mention the negative sides of a heatwave?

TownGuy is right about Nikko supplying the daily hot spots and hot lows, that's a really nice service to the thread, and does show how he has a more varied and perhaps deeper interest in weather in general, but this is a good example of how he isn't held or called out to the same standard of needing to address the negatives of high humidity and heat as he boasts about it (and again, this is no shade thrown at him, because why should he?) so why does Denscity?

PS, the two largest contributors to out current fire problems are a century of fire suppression that have led to forests crowded with spindly weak trees and excess ground litter, and soils that have now been greatly reduced in moisture retention due to 2 to 3 cycles of forestation now (the first cycle and a half having been particularly bad in management). It's a powder keg that has been building for decades, and the forest were going to burn / correct their ecology with our without heat waves. The heat waves have just helped it along. For example the north east of BC and northern Alberta / southern NWT actually had rather cool and damp springs, but as soon as the temperatures even rose to normal (before the heat wave) they were burning already. Some of those were zombie fires smoldering from last year, but most have been new fires set this year.
I don’t pay close attention to this thread as I’m not a daily contributor like some others, but I do recall multiple BC people mentioning the negatives and provided examples on how the heat has affected people they know or towns/locations in general. They provide context instead of merely throwing out figures. And yes, I have noticed that Nicko does some awkward comparisons to Toronto and SWO.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I don’t pay close attention to this thread as I’m not a daily contributor like some others, but I do recall multiple BC people mentioning the negatives and provided examples on how the heat has affected people they know or towns/locations in general. They provide context instead of merely throwing out figures. And yes, I have noticed that Nicko does some awkward comparisons to Toronto and SWO.
I find the fawning over high temps and high humidity to be strange as we live in Canada a country known for cold temps etc. So much of this heat is due to climate change that is strongly correlated by man made activities. It does get into a big dick swinging competition between the east and west coast sectors of this forum.

Maybe just post the highest and lowest temps of the day and the sunniest and wettest place in Canada every day without the gloating...'hey here in 'insert City name' it was +42 today and it didn't drop below +25 at night when we know most of us can shield ourselves from this via AC

The Met office UK does this daily on their Twitter account.

My ideal temp would be 23-25 in the summer and -5 to -10 in the winter without tornadoes and freezing rain. Anywhere in Canada offer that which is affordable?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:54 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Interesting pics above. I observed the sixteen mile creek valley on Monday and saw that the golf course reappeared mostly. There’s basically a new pond on one side. The greens would have looked like in your pics but I saw them squeegee it so they look pretty good now. Also, the free boat launch dock has been fixed so I plan on launching this Friday and will get a closer look like you.

Props for cleaning things up and making things better for all.
Thanks! I've lived near and played around the Don Valley most of my life, so it only feels natural to pitch in and clean it up a little. Interesting! I look forward to seeing that.

I'm going to visit an area hit hard by flooding (The Brickworks) today, and on Friday see another part of the valley where theres a big slope that's normally stabilized by large hemlock stands and see how that area has fared. And also check out the new subway works near me where a few landslides happened.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:36 PM

Pretty cool sunshower in west GTA atm.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:55 PM

Yesterday in Castlegar BC 34.3C

33 25 28 29 30 28 26

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 4:56 PM

Today should be the 8th day in a row above 30 in Calgary, something that has only happened a couple times ever. The smoke is getting gross, so it will temper the heat a bit at least.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:20 PM

Finally have a break in the heat. going to be only 23 today then down to 18 until Sat. Back to Normal temps next week. But with this cooling some long for rain. Not much but will help. Air quality was 5 . Noticed the temps even this morning. AC was still on but the house was way cooler.

Rain forecast for the Jasper area as well. Cooler weather and rain off and on for the next week. The rate at which the fires grew were startling fast. 1 hour after one was reported it was already running away. Lots of fire damage noticeable along the highway east out of the park and along 16 west. Don't know how bad it is to the south but the location giver is in the Athabasca falls area. The had 3 fires start with an hour of each. Rain looks like its heading into Northern Alberta now. 4 communities evacuated up there. BC needs the rain. and noticed a fire an hour or so NW of Calgary. (Water Valley).In an area I was racing in therain and mud in Late may. This area is frequented by off highway users.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Denscity back with a bang. Love it. I do appreciate the passion both yourself and Nikko bring to the thread. Well said Metro.

Kelowna only hit 30.8c yesterday and you could definitely feel a bit of a "chill" in the air, which is a very odd thing to say when temps are still over the 30c mark. It amazing how fast one can get climatized to a long string of sweltering days.

The smoke has dissipated, but a thin layer of smoke and cloud hung around in a higher elevation which allowed for a very nice sunset last night.

Thanks LFC. I can’t stand fact suppression especially when it doesn’t “favour” the supressor.
Love the colours in your pic.
And btw most of the year what happens in Kelowna weather wise happens in Castlegar sometimes the same day.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:41 PM

Thank you Metro for pointing out the obvious double standard here.
And shout out to our shared love of BC’s desert landscape in the Thompson/Fraser Canyon/Okanagan regions. Love me some sage as well.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Just want to add that I appreciate Denscity's posts just as much as Nicko's.

Some gentle sparring between intelligent posters helps to make this site always interesting.

Just as long as people don't take things too seriously........
Cheers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 7:53 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
My ideal temp would be 23-25 in the summer and -5 to -10 in the winter without tornadoes and freezing rain. Anywhere in Canada offer that which is affordable?
I'm with you, give me around 25 or 30 in the summer so I don't have to crank my AC, and -10 minimum in the winter so I can still enjoy a snowfall but don't have to worry about my car not starting or cranking the heat in my home.

Maybe Ottawa is getting close to that.. it didn't get below -20 last winter. The freezing rain and icy shit seems to be happening more and more lately thanks to Toronto-esque winter warm spells pushing further north.

(edit- right now it looks like a tornado might happen outside).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's another beautiful day. Lawn is starting to dry out.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:59 PM

Lawns drying out is certainly not something we're facing in Ottawa this summer.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 11:07 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The weather in Glovertown NL today was nice and sunny, with a high of 25°C.

The old abandoned mill

my photos July 24 2024

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 11:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A quick walk around the block to cool off. The fog is coming to save us, ha!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:09 AM
Community Guy

Hearing that the Jasper wildfire is 'meters' from the edge of town and that Marmot Basin ski hill is at risk and that the historic and majestic Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge has it on top of it and that 'firefighting measures have failed'.

holy shit if true

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:44 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Hearing that the Jasper wildfire is 'meters' from the edge of town and that Marmot Basin ski hill is at risk and that the historic and majestic Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge has it on top of it and that 'firefighting measures have failed'.

holy shit if true
That's nuts. Jesus.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:09 AM

Yes, first responders evacuated hours ago. What an incredible tragedy. One of the great destinations in Canada and a place that I have core memories of stretching back decades, to the first summers that I can recollect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada