HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:04 PM

The average high for Kamloops this time of year is around 29. The average high for Kamloops this July so far 35.9. I don't think anybody is trying to suggest it's never gotten hot in interior BC before, but it's a stretch to suggest that this current stretch of weather is just typical of a normal summer and nobody else realizes it.

We can acknolwedge interior BC has hot and dry summers and hot temperatures happen every year while also acknowledging weather like this July or the 2021 heat dome have brought heat of severity and/or duration beyond what is "normal".

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:06 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Posted previously, but hopefully this info will be helpful for your father, giallo. Best of luck, I hope he can get some relief from the heat in the future!
Thanks so much, OldDartmouthMark. My parents ended up finding the same information, and now have someone looking at their house today for a possible installation.

This summer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Even my dad is looking for some kind of reprieve from the heat.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
The average high for Kamloops this time of year is around 29. The average high for Kamloops this July so far 35.9. I don't think anybody is trying to suggest it's never gotten hot in interior BC before, but it's a stretch to suggest that this current stretch of weather is just typical of a normal summer and nobody else realizes it.

We can acknolwedge interior BC has hot and dry summers and hot temperatures happen every year while also acknowledging weather like this July or the 2021 heat dome have brought heat of severity and/or duration beyond what is "normal".
Not yourself, but some people just assumed that because of how further south they live compared to places like Kamloops that they must be a hotter place without actually comparing temperatures.
And yes 100% 2021 was an anomaly up until then.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I'm not sure that the 40°+ temperatures are as boast-worthy as some here seem to think they are anyway. For most people (and the environment itself), they're definitely a negative. Who actually enjoys this?

It's basically the same thing as those boasting about how we're growing by >1 million people per year. Aside from the juvenile fascination with big numbers, it's more negative than positive.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post

Pretty well sums it up. I've been spending summers in Kelowna for 40 years, the heat now is definitely more extreme than it used to be.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

On the approach to Vancouver yesterday. Luckily the winds have blown some of the smoke away from the West Side today:

[IMG]IMG_1229 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1232 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_1235 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photos

Old Posted Today, 12:12 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I was in Red Deer for the last few days, and the smoke was getting pretty bad there as well.

Old Posted Today, 1:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Lovely evening.

Old Posted Today, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Pretty well sums it up. I've been spending summers in Kelowna for 40 years, the heat now is definitely more extreme than it used to be.
I agree.

I LOVE the heat, last summer i was in Vegas and it was 46c everyday and I was basking in it, loved it.

But after having the past 15 days between 35c and 41c and the forests being drier than a popcorn fart with risk of fires being extreme and the lingering smoke (throw in come PTSD after being chased from our home from wildfires last August), I am ready for Fall.

In saying that, we had some thunderstorms today(not great for fire risks) and a high of 39.4c. We are finally seeing a cooling trend starting tomorrow.

Old Posted Today, 1:52 AM

The Okanagan, until yesterday, were actually doing pretty well dodging the smoky bullet. The heat does end today, though. This next week will be considerably cooler.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I'm not sure that the 40°+ temperatures are as boast-worthy as some here seem to think they are anyway. For most people (and the environment itself), they're definitely a negative. Who actually enjoys this?

It's basically the same thing as those boasting about how we're growing by >1 million people per year. Aside from the juvenile fascination with big numbers, it's more negative than positive.
It's mainly a statistics thing. 40 is a nice number, but it's an extreme temperature. Just like in the east when the temps go over 30 and the humidex goes into the 40s, it's extreme weather.

We've been getting some nice weather lately, 27-29 with moderate humidity, so you can go out in the middle of the day and do stuff without becoming exhausted and drenched with sweat. Plus, it's still hot enough for swimming. I do enjoy a good heatwave, but moderate weather is obviously more enjoyable for most activities

Old Posted Today, 2:25 AM

Osoyoos today is on its 18th day in a row at and above 35.

July 5th to Today:

That is a notable heatwave, even for Osoyoos.

I hope the architects of SignalHillHiker's workplace didn't build any structures in the Okanagan!

Old Posted Today, 2:59 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Some people are only learning now that the BC Interior is hot and sunny every year. Meanwhile it’s been normal for a thousand years.
Maybe. On the other hand, I wonder how educational it is when people around you are describing increasing discomfort in the conditions. RHINO from Kamloops was providing advice on how to cope in homes that are not built for this heat. That's useful and interesting.

Let's be honest here, the lesson is contextless and ill-informed and reads like you are more interested in jockeying with mercury, because you are not even telling us the experience of the conditions. Numbers are fun but when you are sitting in your icebox, it doesn't tell us anything. Numbers can contextualise our heuristics but when you are never talking about the heuristics, it's just numbers.

Secondly, it is perhaps much more interesting to discuss ways of building homes to deal with the heat, how to build homes safe from the dry conditions, and what you expect to use those warm temperatures for. Because numbers, just numbers, don't tell a story. Don't ride the mercury, tell us a story. Or as they do in the writing sphere: show, don't tell.

Because there is another story that you telling. Lytton got to 49.6°C. You don't mention that it burnt down right after. You told us the number, you didn't tell us what that did to the town. That is misleading. How educational could that ever be?

Old Posted Today, 3:23 AM
Go Chiefs!

27C with a humidex of 30 and sunny. Just a beauty of a day. A bit on the dry side but once again, those are very minor negatives.

Low of 16C this morning.

The warmspot was Kelowna, BC at 38.1C

Warmest low was Summerland, BC at 24.9C.

Old Posted Today, 5:03 AM

That is the warmest low I have seen in a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
27C with a humidex of 30 and sunny. Just a beauty of a day. A bit on the dry side but once again, those are very minor negatives.

Low of 16C this morning.

The warmspot was Kelowna, BC at 38.1C

Warmest low was Summerland, BC at 24.9C.
I wonder what the Canadian Record is?

Old Posted Today, 5:09 AM

There have been a few warmer lows already this year. Lillooet was a low of 25.0 a few days ago. (and was 24.8 the following day)

The warmest this year is somewhere in the east at 25... something.

Old Posted Today, 5:32 AM

Warm and dry with a mostly overcast morning and then a mostly sunny afternoon. Very comfortable with a nice breeze.
I wonder if the YVR weather station is going to have zero precipitation for July.

Monday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 22 C (26 C w/Humidex), the low was 16 C.

Downtown Vancouver, July 22 '24, my pics

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada