HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:37 PM

Speaking of curb protected bike lanes, i wonder what the status of this project is:
https://billypenn.com/2023/05/19/cur...s%20in%20mind.

And while this type of thing is great to see, I just don't know why it would only be 4 blocks. This should be all over the city by now. Even the rendering in the article from last year (again, curious on the status) is from 2017. Does it need to take a decade for a 4-block span to get this treatment?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
The flexible white posts that are currently used are technically 'protected', but obviously do nothing if a car/delivery truck actually drive over them. Green paint and flimsy infrastructure aren't providing any safety. You need fixed/immovable posts, or protective concrete barriers.
Thanks for the info. I'm only an infrequent recreational bike rider but when I ride, I do seek out the streets with bike lanes to plan my travel and often use the Pine/Spruce lanes.

So if you were in charge and expanding bike lanes, would the plan be that all future planned lanes must be protected...an all or nothing type thing?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:16 PM

Here's a random question: does anyone have a list of the busiest Regional Rail stations? I couldn't find one, even one that was really out of date.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Today, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm only an infrequent recreational bike rider but when I ride, I do seek out the streets with bike lanes to plan my travel and often use the Pine/Spruce lanes.

So if you were in charge and expanding bike lanes, would the plan be that all future planned lanes must be protected...an all or nothing type thing?
Same here, I only dabble occasionally with the Indego Bikeshares.

Having that requirement for all new lanes would be ideal and should be incorporated in some capacity for any new expansion. If for some reason that's not feasible, at the bare minimum there needs to be traffic calming/speed reduction components. Even putting the lane between the parked cars and the sidewalk would be an added protective layer.

The main throughfares in greater Center City should be fixed immediately with these updates (Spruce/Pine, a protected connection from Pine to the South Street Bridge and over into UCity, 22nd Street, etc).

Old Posted Today, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Speaking of curb protected bike lanes, i wonder what the status of this project is:

And while this type of thing is great to see, I just don't know why it would only be 4 blocks. This should be all over the city by now. Even the rendering in the article from last year (again, curious on the status) is from 2017. Does it need to take a decade for a 4-block span to get this treatment?
I believe it was held up by transferring ownership of that stretch of Market St from PennDOT to the City. Construction should begin this Fall.

Old Posted Today, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post

Funny you mention that, Rep Boyle just announced a few million in funding for the project. I think this funding just covers 2nd and Market, but I'm not sure. https://x.com/CongBoyle/status/1815521548901421167

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development