HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 9:04 PM
Skyriser

As an aside, I half wonder if this forum could do well serving as an "Advisory Committee" or PAC of some sorts and get more involved on local issues as a group.

I could see this being a separate, ad-hoc group where people bring up issues that are important to them and we as a group could individually vote on it to endorse the statement.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 9:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
As an aside, I half wonder if this forum could do well serving as an "Advisory Committee" or PAC of some sorts and get more involved on local issues as a group.
There are some organizations already doing this work that are worth checking out:

Urban Phoenix Project
https://www.urbanphoenixproject.org/

Strong Towns Phoenix
https://www.strongtownsphx.org/

Downtown Voices Coalition
(no current website)

Last edited by exit2lef; Jul 12, 2024 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:34 PM

Forming PACs...etc.

I've been retired for five years now...however, when working - I was part of this during my career.

If you want things done - you do need to have clout. Either by a collective voice - strong and loud enough - to get "their" attention - city council...municipal employees, the press (media), etc. If you can remember one thing - I will share with you - from my 26 years' experience dealing with these folks (I'm not going to name municipalities) there only two things elected officials really care about - above anything else - and only two: Getting elected and getting re-elected. The worse - is the press. The worst. However, when they write their "stories"...they know they carry some influence - the power of the press. If you want some changes - it would do you some good to do some research, etc.

Since this most recent conversation on this forum is specifically geared towards improvements need to be done within the downtown area - sidewalk shading, etc. Call the city of Phoenix planning...or zoning...engineering, etc. - find out what their requirements are for developers - and development within the immediate area. Specifically, do they assess development impact fees. I dealt with commercial real estate/ developers - constructing warehouses, etc. The hoops they go through: Neighborhood's input - they want to be good corporate neighbors. The size...the height...noise...traffic it will generate, etc. The city would also assess development impact fees. That would include the sidewalk and street realignment adjacent to the property. Also, LANDSCAPING improvements: which include the planting of TREES and other shrubberies, etc. Of course, some municipalities take advantage - causing negotiating - how about being charged $20,000 just for the city to do some landscaping along the city parkway (narrow strip - 50 feet long) fronting the warehouse! That required some intense negotiations.

Regarding forming a PAC: My experience is with PACs formed by the business community. Businesses and city/state governments need to work together to form a successful and healthy relationship/ community. Unfortunately, many in the business community are not feeling the "love." PACs have been formed - to raise money for specifically supporting candidates running for local, state, and federal office that are going to be business friendly and vote accordingly if elected to office. There are strict guidelines to forming a PAC - and the I.R.S keeps an eye on them.

A recent Arizona piece of legislation that would/ could have impact future development and investments that was shot down by the governor: The recent squatter's rights bill. Politics at play! That is why getting involved is important. It isn't easy to get what you want but, if it is your community...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:00 AM

Absolutely awesome that you have so many actionable suggestions. Cool af. I definitely think you should start a group or something. Also, thanks for the advice regarding Scottsdale and Tempe. DTLA and Downtown Houston seem liked they are vaguely similar to what you describe as the phenomenon in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunHiker View Post
WarrenBuffet2024,
Since you've never been to Phoenix before, a word of advice so you don't make the mistake others have made: the most popular nightlife and social scene is in Old Town Scottsdale not downtown Phoenix. Incidentally, this is one of the big reasons why downtown Phoenix has such a small skyline. It is in competition with several other places around the metro for entertainment, tourism, nightlife, etc.
I disagree with this statement; maybe if you were talking 15 years ago. I’ve been out plenty in my life to Old Town and Downtown Phoenix and I much rather go out in DTPHX in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I disagree with this statement; maybe if you were talking 15 years ago. I’ve been out plenty in my life to Old Town and Downtown Phoenix and I much rather go out in DTPHX in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree fully with your push-back on this conception. I bought a condo in the Warehouse District in 2018. Even in that short time (and with a break for a pandemic), Downtown is becoming increasingly vibrant and a go-to destination.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
here's my two cents - as someone who grew up in the valley and is currently in my 20s - and some insight for those wanting to visit phx.

without a single shred of doubt, downtown phoenix is where locals my age want to be. it is not even a question in my mind, when people want to go out, they are going downtown. yes, this is a significant move away from the traditional nightlife core of the valley, but it has been that way for a while now.

downtown is way more chill, cheaper, generally has a much cooler and more inclusive vibe, and (crucially) is light rail accessible. there are great music venues, diverse nightlife offerings for everyone, street markets, improving late night food options etc. you can pretty much curate the experience you want to have on any given night, whether you want to dance and party hard or have a quiet wine night with a book.

old town scottsdale is a top nightlife destination for a reason, but it is increasingly becoming more and more for tourists. certainly fun for a night out with out of town friends, but - speaking from experience it is just not something local twenty and thirty somethings are doing regularly. when we want to catch some live music, chill with friends, meet people and have a few drinks, it's going to be downtown every time and its not particularly close.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Shade, shade, shade.

I'm out in the far East Valley through next week. Driving around east Mesa and Gilbert, hardly any shade trees, or other Sonoran-native greenery for that matter. The only trees I see with any regularity in my parents' subdivision is palm trees.
WEIRD - I work in construction and have contracts at 12 tracts across the valley - I would say palm trees are only accent trees and at entries of select communities . . . I would hardly say they are the predominant tree at any measurable % of new developments.

I do see a lot of elm and ash trees as well as orchid trees - there is a current style trend away from the mesquites from my anecdotal experience in development. More Arcadia style with real or artificial turf, iceberg roses and a greener look overall. You still see the standard 1 mesquite/palo and 5 lantana shityard at entry level homes and I agree with what someone else said about those trees being essentially useless and a sad trend of millennial era landscaping . . .

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 3:57 AM
E pluribus unum

Something I failed to mention in my rant is that my parents live in a 55+ subdivision (not Leisure World) and most of their neighbors are snowbirds, which might explain the lack of shade trees around here (most houses built in the 1980s and 1990s) since those require more maintenance than palms and a good chunk of the residents aren't living here half the year.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 12:30 AM

Ah that could explain it :-D

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM
Chase M

I thought this was an interesting video on Downtown being small compared to other cities, I will say when he talks about Glendale I assume he’s talking about the stadium and Westgate!!

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
I thought this was an interesting video on Downtown being small compared to other cities, I will say when he talks about Glendale I assume he’s talking about the stadium and Westgate!!
Glendale does not have a skyline. He's probably just thinking about Midtown. Such as massive factual error only half a minute into the video undermines any credibility it would have had.

Old Posted Today, 2:14 AM
Skyriser

The two posts above were moved from the Phoenix development thread.

Old Posted Today, 6:18 AM

I love how it opens with a decade old shot of downtown to show the viewer what iur skyline looks like

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest