HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A permit is now under review for the build out of the Escape Lounge at PDX
Permit has been issued.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:11 PM

Presentation on the what's coming (very shortly) at the new terminal, starting about 11 minutes in.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:57 PM

Did not know about the video wall. That's freaking awesome.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Did not know about the video wall. That's freaking awesome.
Sorry to bump this thread but just watched the Port video, so exciting. Those floors look amazing. And what are the video walls.. ? Is this posting flight info?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Sorry to bump this thread but just watched the Port video, so exciting. Those floors look amazing. And what are the video walls.. ? Is this posting flight info?
It looks like they are using video walls behind all the ticket counters. Orlando was the first airport to do this about 4-5 years ago. It's much more dynamic than static wall signs and can be used to communicate flight schedules and changes to those waiting in line. However, when I was in Orlando, I noticed that a number of the wall monitors were down or showing gibberish. You gotta have someone available to make sure they are always working as intended.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 10:37 PM

It's looking really really good.

Quote:
Portland International Airport's new main terminal opening date set | Here's what to know
In less than one month, Portland International Airport's new main terminal will be open, one of the city's most anticipated projects.

PORTLAND, Ore. — After a nearly four-month delay, Portland International Airport's (PDX) new main terminal will open on Aug. 14, the Port of Portland said Tuesday.

The opening of the new main terminal has been one of Portland's most anticipated projects, as it is the centerpiece of a broader redesign of the airport, which got underway in 2019.

In just under a month, PDX visitors can enjoy standing under the new nine-acre timber roof and back on the iconic PDX carpet. Though with the return of some pre-security shopping and dining, people can enjoy the new space — no ticked required.

Around 22 new shops and restaurants have been added to the expanded space, including the return of Powell's Books. Around a dozen new food, drink and retail establishments will be making their PDX debut — Grassa, Hello From Portland, Portland Gear, Sizzle Pie and Straightaway Cocktails — and existing fixtures, like — Blue Star, Capers Bistro and Columbia Sportswear — will take their home again.
...continues at KGW.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
It looks like they are using video walls behind all the ticket counters. Orlando was the first airport to do this about 4-5 years ago. It's much more dynamic than static wall signs and can be used to communicate flight schedules and changes to those waiting in line. However, when I was in Orlando, I noticed that a number of the wall monitors were down or showing gibberish. You gotta have someone available to make sure they are always working as intended.
Could also just be for advertising, like at Moynihan Train Hall.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 11:52 PM

You can see the video wall in action midway through this video:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Could also just be for advertising, like at Moynihan Train Hall.
Side topic, I was just in Moynihan last month for the first time. My god that is such an improvement. My old firm worked on that, and I KNEW it would be good. But just how much better that is compared to the s*hole that is Penn Station cannot be understated.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
You can see the video wall in action midway through this video:

Video Link
The light filtering into the terminal is just gorgeous. I feel like the actual product is better than the renderings! I have a hard time thinking of a more beautiful airport terminal in North America, or at least the US.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
The light filtering into the terminal is just gorgeous. I feel like the actual product is better than the renderings! I have a hard time thinking of a more beautiful airport terminal in North America, or at least the US.
I agree. I would have had the redesigned LGB terminal, which is absolutely beautiful and fully embodies So. Cal. as my #1 before this. This new terminal is stunning.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I agree. I would have had the redesigned LGB terminal, which is absolutely beautiful and fully embodies So. Cal. as my #1 before this. This new terminal is stunning.
Actually looks similar to the beautiful new terminal u/c in Pittsburgh. A good friend of mine is running part of that construction.

https://pittransformed.com/newsroom/gallery/

https://www.gensler.com/projects/pit...tional-airport

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Actually looks similar to the beautiful new terminal u/c in Pittsburgh. A good friend of mine is running part of that construction.

Very nice, and yeah similar wood ceiling effects - I like that they are bringing that outside to the departure/drop off area too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I love that outdoor space! That would be nice if PDX could incorporate something like that as well.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I love that outdoor space! That would be nice if PDX could incorporate something like that as well.
Who needs more outdoor space when you can sit on the upper parking deck at PDX and watch the entire runway, with the Columbia River and Mt Hood in background? Pretty epic place to watch planes with kiddos.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Who needs more outdoor space when you can sit on the upper parking deck at PDX and watch the entire runway, with the Columbia River and Mt Hood in background? Pretty epic place to watch planes with kiddos.
No argument here. I've done plane spotting up there, myself.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Marine Drive, directly across from the north runway is also a great spot for close up action.. especially if the planes are arriving/departing eastbound.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 8:41 PM

Portland International Airport June / Fiscal Year 2024 report is out.

Total annual Enplaned & Deplaned Passengers are up 6.8% over last year, for a little more than a million more passengers. (And of that, international passengers are up 19.6% on last year; international numbers are now higher than they were in 2018, if not 2019.)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:

Total annual Enplaned & Deplaned Passengers are up 6.8% over last year, for a little more than a million more passengers. (And of that, international passengers are up 19.6% on last year; international numbers are now higher than they were in 2018, if not 2019.)
Those are good numbers, and I’d imagine Alaska’s recent additions (25% capacity increase, I think much of it starts later in the year) will help quite a bit. From what I understand Oregon tourist numbers are now surpassing pre Covid levels, although Portland itself is still lagging.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:

This is great news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure