HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:11 PM

I think technically the entire Tulsa metropolitan area is on one of a few Indian reservations that all intersect in that region. I've long wondered how it worked, tbh.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I don't think much changed for Tulsa if you're not native. All that really changed was anyone who was native now fell under the jurisdiction of tribal governments and the federal government; if you committed a crime, you would be tried in a tribal (or federal) court not by the state of OK.

Old Posted Today, 12:52 AM

Basically the northern half of the city of Mt. Pleasant, MI is falls in the Isabella Indian Reservation. The city has a total population of 21,000 and the part inside of the reservation has a population of 8700.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pleasant,_Michigan

Old Posted Today, 1:46 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I think technically the entire Tulsa metropolitan area is on one of a few Indian reservations that all intersect in that region. I've long wondered how it worked, tbh.
Not all lands in an Indian reservation are actual Indian lands. Most reservations are a patchwork of tribal-owned land, private land owned by tribal members, and private land owned by non-Indians. The boundaries of the reservation describe a general area the tribe has some administrative say over, but they don't have complete control of everything within that boundary.

I worked for a tribe north of Seattle for 7 years so I know all about this.

It's not unlike a national forest: There are some lines describing the boundaries of the national forest, but within those boundaries is really a patchwork of federally-owned land and private land.

Probably Tulsa might be technically within the boundaries of some reservation, but the land long ago got deeded to non-tribal entities and a city was gradually built on those lands.

Old Posted Today, 3:40 AM

So is Tulsa not really on a reservation, if Native laws only affect Natives? It seems to be a halfway situation. Do Whites in Tulsa pay income taxes or gasoline taxes or anything that are exempt on reservations? Does the tribe run the government, like county government? If peoples' lives are the same as if they were on non-reservation land, like in Nashville or Detroit or Boston or Tampa, then I wouldn't say Tulsa is a reservation community.

Old Posted Today, 6:46 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
So is Tulsa not really on a reservation, if Native laws only affect Natives? It seems to be a halfway situation. Do Whites in Tulsa pay income taxes or gasoline taxes or anything that are exempt on reservations? Does the tribe run the government, like county government? If peoples' lives are the same as if they were on non-reservation land, like in Nashville or Detroit or Boston or Tampa, then I wouldn't say Tulsa is a reservation community.
You're talking about non-native owned? Gas stations owned by tribes are open to the public and and I try to tell California forumers to get their gas there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions