HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown_eddie_brown View Post
I noticed how cool the balconies look from a distance walking up York a few days ago. Really fun design!

I've been curious what the tenancy is like in these new condos going up. Are people purchasing them to live in, or are they largely being rented out as investment properties?

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the economic boosts these new towers give the downtown. Density = walking wallets = actual amenities in the core.
Now they just need actual things to do downtown. Gore park needs to finish being rebuilt essentially. The entire south side almost is still either boarded up or under construction which is just mind boggling for the original core of the city.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:22 PM
Hammer'd

This one definitely ended up looking pretty nice. Hughson Street is also fully re-opened between Main and King William now, which hasn't been the case in years. Unfortunately its a really dark canyon now but I guess that was to be expected. It'll be interesting to see how this building impacts the street life as people start moving in over the next year or two.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:50 PM

Apparently LiUNA expects it to take about 2 years to reach full lease-up here, with 15-20 occupancies a month. Retail tenants are also supposed to be announced soon.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 3:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
This one definitely ended up looking pretty nice. Hughson Street is also fully re-opened between Main and King William now, which hasn't been the case in years. Unfortunately its a really dark canyon now but I guess that was to be expected. It'll be interesting to see how this building impacts the street life as people start moving in over the next year or two.
It's what everyone kept begging for on here was canyons, cold dark windy corridors. Enjoy.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
It's what everyone kept begging for on here was canyons, cold dark windy corridors. Enjoy.
Everyone?

I don't recall anyone "begging" for that. There may have been some sarcastic comments about the shadow dwellers group and their perspectives, and some posters do find interest in the way King is filling in and becoming canyon-esque from certain viewpoints (that short stretch of George too). But begging?

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:58 PM

The "canyon" in question is short anyways.

In any case, it's hard to avoid. You want towers constructed - you're gonna get some canyons (love them or hate them).

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:54 PM

I'm fine with the Hughson Canyon.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 10:11 PM

Ya, it's one block long on a side road that didn't have any pedestrian traffic to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHammer View Post
Was this shortly before the little rain shower? My son and I were sitting across from here. And I feel we might have seen you.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Was this shortly before the little rain shower? My son and I were sitting across from here. And I feel we might have seen you.
That probably was me. Just doing a lap around downtown to get some exercise.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 10:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Thank you for your updates!

I love that old fire station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHammer View Post

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:00 PM
Hammer'd

The downtown fire hall really doesn't get enough love. So many cities lost their old fire halls years ago, makes me proud that we still have ours.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:34 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The downtown fire hall really doesn't get enough love. So many cities lost their old fire halls years ago, makes me proud that we still have ours.
It was actually dismantled and cleaned not too far back in history which is one reason it looks so nice. It's in excellent condition and on of our most beautiful examples of existing architecture.

Now the corner building in that shot.. has seen its fair share of battles - originally similar looking to the treble hall all of it glorious craftsmanship has been stripped away - at least they have done the first floor some love but those pediments are just a sad shadow of what they originally were.

and for the love of god when is it ever going to be FINISHED? It's been fenced off like that for YEARS now..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton