HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 2:30 PM

Driving SW on US 290/71 near light at WM Cannon in Oak Hill.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:55 PM

Getting closer to the completion of the new westbound frontage road. Also shouldn't be too far away from bridging the new westbound mainlanes over the old road. They're well into the deck pours for the westbound "double decker" section already.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 2:28 PM

Just getting back from DC again and my god, if only we had a metro line.

How much $ would you suppose it would take for Austin to have a mostly underground single line? Something similar to Cleveland's red line...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 5:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

How much $ would you suppose it would take for Austin to have a mostly underground single line? Something similar to Cleveland's red line...
Tens of billions for a small line or two - due to our geography. It's doable. But, if the NIMBY powers that be are fighting a ~$7 billion light rail system, just think what they would do with a $20-30 billion (small) subway system proposal. Plus, how will one fund such a project? Also, there are land rights with which to deal. In Texas, land owners own their land (surface) and the land beneath it. There may also be air rights too. Not 100% sure on that one.

Not sure about Cleveland - but, DC's metro was built decades ago and I believe their geography is more conducive to less costly construction. And, I believe the federal government funds about 65% of its costs.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

Elsewhere in Ohio:
The city of Cincinnati, Ohio has a subway system that was built, never used, and left abandoned.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Tens of billions for a small line or two - due to our geography. It's doable. But, if the NIMBY powers that be are fighting a ~$7 billion light rail system, just think what they would do with a $20-30 billion (small) subway system proposal. Plus, how will one fund such a project? Also, there are land rights with which to deal. In Texas, land owners own their land (surface) and the land beneath it. There may also be air rights too. Not 100% sure on that one.

Not sure about Cleveland - but, DC's metro was built decades ago and I believe their geography is more conducive to less costly construction. And, I believe the federal government funds about 65% of its costs.
I bet air rights wouldn't be much of a factor if we did a fully elevated system. I assume the stations would fit mostly within public ROW aside from maybe a couple of signature stations that would be sought after by developers near republic square or the south central waterfront. Imagine a Vancouver SkyTrain-like automated system here with 2-5 min headways... it would be worth every penny.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 2:42 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
We can’t do fully elevated downtown and nor should we. Out streetscape is largely on the path the becoming beautiful and they and our viewsheds to the capitol would be ruined city-wide. There’d be voter revolt.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 6:34 PM

This morning I noticed that demo has started on the stretch of now empty buildings on the East side of I-35 between 38th & Airport.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Can’t imagine a rail service that would be an hour each way. It’s 80 miles away plus or minus.

That and you have to factor in the check in time/wait on a platform (15-30 min) in addition to the commute to the depot (15–60min each way) to make a real comparison to driving yourself.

Again, a commuter would only do a Aus-Sa route for school/work if they lived very close to the depot AND worked/attended school close to the opposite depot.

And realistically, how many people fit that situation?

Rich people living downtown, who work downtown in the opposite city? That’s who we are serving with this route? Really?

Who is the major user of this line?
What do they do?
Why are they riding it?
When would they ride it?
How much will they willingly pay?
Where are they coming from exactly?
Where are they going to exactly?
Do they require last mile transportation? If so, what does that look like?

How many cars would be taken off the road roughly and how does that translate to easing future traffic?
I know that this is basically ancient history in terms of topics of conversation, but I wanted to address a point that I often see when discussing means of medium-haul passenger transportation, specifically inter-city, not-necessarily super-HSR services.

We keep getting caught up in everything being competitive against the option of using a car - NEWS FLASH - there exist multiple real life adults who DO NOT OWN A CAR! We should cultivate a place where there are more and more of those people because we provide people the option to do so. I know that it's an easy pitfall, but I don't think that this argument is the best test to describe the viability of a service at this scale.

JM2C....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 9:46 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
We keep getting caught up in everything being competitive against the option of using a car - NEWS FLASH - there exist multiple real life adults who DO NOT OWN A CAR!
JM2C....
- NEWS FLASH - Those who do not own a car may rent one. There are at least a half dozen national rent-a-car companies willing to do so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
- NEWS FLASH - Those who do not own a car may rent one. There are at least a half dozen national rent-a-car companies willing to do so.
Sure, but who's renting a car to commute every day?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Sure, but who's renting a car to commute every day?
Or even regularly? As someone who does not own a car - I sure would rather spend an additional 2 hours of commute time back and forth to catch the train over having to find a car rental facility, drive the commute, then make it back to the car rental facility.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
Or even regularly? As someone who does not own a car - I sure would rather spend an additional 2 hours of commute time back and forth to catch the train over having to find a car rental facility, drive the commute, then make it back to the car rental facility.
I am NOT "anti rail" as a concept. Rail has proven to be effective for certain cities/countries, imo. But it doesn't make rational/fiscal sense in most American style cities.

1) Rail has to serve the many, not the few. If you live more than a 1/4 mile from a rail station, you will probably rarely use it. Same goes for where you commute to....if your employer is more than a 1/4 mile from the other station, you will rarely use it. If you, like most people, live more than a mile from a station, you will need additional transportation regardless. This is the classic, "first/last mile" issue, that is well researched and documented.

2) Rail comes with a $ tag. I do not believe in rail at any cost, especially when it serves less than 1% of the population who are lucky enough to live/work blocks from a depot, or give UT students an easy commute to the airport.

3) Austin, though it is changing, will NEVER have the density to support the type of rail systems found in Europe, Asia, and large American/Canadian cities. Austin has a FRACTION of the density of many of the vaunted cities we travel to and marvel at their rail capabilities/facilities, like NYC/London. If we doubled our density (which can NEVER happen), we still are a fraction of NYC, SF, Chicago. Austin, with pop density approx. 3k/per sq mi doesn't make the top 140 incorporated cities in the US, and due to zoning laws, never will. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

4) Autonomous cars will revolutionize mass transit. It will be cheaper than rail for both tax payers and for the users, and more efficient as it will solve the "first/last mile" issue. AI cars will be in full scale use before Austin will ever complete the first leg of our proposed rail system. AI cars are egalitarian, as they can pick you up at your house, take you exactly where you need to go, then return you. No need to pay for car payments, gas, insurance, upkeep...etc. The working poor live in outlying suburbs, the least dense areas, much of which are not slated for rail at ALL.

5) Who benefits? Rail companies, politicians, and the lucky few who happen to live/work close to depots. The current proposal does too little, for too few, at too great a cost to the many.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:48 PM

This is such an insane take. It sounds to me that you do not understand the concept of rail being an investment in city infrastructure rather than just a use of it. Rail is fundamentally different than roads in many ways, but one of the ways it is different is in the way that having a station placed somewhere in a city will spur great amounts of dense development/changes in travel patterns and lifestyle. These changes happen over decades and have made this fact (apparently) difficult for some to understand.

You mention that Austin will never have density near those of NYC/SF/Chicago, but that will only be true if Austin does not build the infrastructure necessary to achieve such densities! The classic chicken or the egg discussion about density/public transit use is always a debate, but to say that a city could put in rail and then conclude that would not fundamentally change the way people are able to live and work in that place is just bad (or nonexistent) logic.

Quote:
I am NOT "anti rail" as a concept. Rail has proven to be effective for certain cities/countries, imo. But it doesn't make rational/fiscal sense in most American style cities.

1) Rail has to serve the many, not the few. If you live more than a 1/4 mile from a rail station, you will probably rarely use it. Same goes for where you commute to....if your employer is more than a 1/4 mile from the other station, you will rarely use it. If you, like most people, live more than a mile from a station, you will need additional transportation regardless. This is the classic, "first/last mile" issue, that is well researched and documented.

2) Rail comes with a $ tag. I do not believe in rail at any cost, especially when it serves less than 1% of the population who are lucky enough to live/work blocks from a depot, or give UT students an easy commute to the airport.

3) Austin, though it is changing, will NEVER have the density to support the type of rail systems found in Europe, Asia, and large American/Canadian cities. Austin has a FRACTION of the density of many of the vaunted cities we travel to and marvel at their rail capabilities/facilities, like NYC/London. If we doubled our density (which can NEVER happen), we still are a fraction of NYC, SF, Chicago. Austin, with pop density approx. 3k/per sq mi doesn't make the top 140 incorporated cities in the US, and due to zoning laws, never will. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

4) Autonomous cars will revolutionize mass transit. It will be cheaper than rail for both tax payers and for the users, and more efficient as it will solve the "first/last mile" issue. AI cars will be in full scale use before Austin will ever complete the first leg of our proposed rail system. AI cars are egalitarian, as they can pick you up at your house, take you exactly where you need to go, then return you. No need to pay for car payments, gas, insurance, upkeep...etc. The working poor live in outlying suburbs, the least dense areas, much of which are not slated for rail at ALL.

5) Who benefits? Rail companies, politicians, and the lucky few who happen to live/work close to depots. The current proposal does too little, for too few, at too great a cost to the many.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocotillotea View Post
this is such an insane take. It sounds to me that you do not understand the concept of rail being an investment in city infrastructure rather than just a use of it. Rail is fundamentally different than roads in many ways, but one of the ways it is different is in the way that having a station placed somewhere in a city will spur great amounts of dense development/changes in travel patterns and lifestyle. These changes happen over decades and have made this fact (apparently) difficult for some to understand.

You mention that austin will never have density near those of nyc/sf/chicago, but that will only be true if austin does not build the infrastructure necessary to achieve such densities! The classic chicken or the egg discussion about density/public transit use is always a debate, but to say that a city could put in rail and then conclude that would not fundamentally change the way people are able to live and work in that place is just bad (or nonexistent) logic.

well said

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcotilloTea View Post
This is such an insane take. It sounds to me that you do not understand the concept of rail being an investment in city infrastructure rather than just a use of it. Rail is fundamentally different than roads in many ways, but one of the ways it is different is in the way that having a station placed somewhere in a city will spur great amounts of dense development/changes in travel patterns and lifestyle. These changes happen over decades and have made this fact (apparently) difficult for some to understand.

You mention that Austin will never have density near those of NYC/SF/Chicago, but that will only be true if Austin does not build the infrastructure necessary to achieve such densities! The classic chicken or the egg discussion about density/public transit use is always a debate, but to say that a city could put in rail and then conclude that would not fundamentally change the way people are able to live and work in that place is just bad (or nonexistent) logic.
I would agree with you if the price tag wasn't 10's of billions of dollars. You mentioned it would be an investment. True. But not all investments are wise. Governments have a long storied history of overpaying for "investments" that yielded a poor return on OUR tax money, from our bloated Defense Department to the mired California rail from LA to SF.

Austin will never have the density of NYC or similarly dense cities for the following reasons;
1) zoning laws would have to be RADICALLY changed RIGHT now. IF that happened, say goodbye to the beloved Central Austin neighborhoods....think Hyde Park, Clarksville, Rosedale, Zilker, Travis Heights, many more, not too mention our beloved tree canopy and parks.
2) political will. Very few people who live in Austin want to morph into a city with 20k sq mi. density. Politicians will not vote to increase zoning for 10k+ density for ANY area beyond downtown.
3) Suburban HOA rules for condos and communities surrounding Austin will never allow for increased density.
4) Most deed restrictions beyond downtown will not allow increased density.
5) Building rail infrastructure does not magically increase density. Why? See 3 and 4. 3 story apartment complexes close to train depots will not move the density needle.
6) Austin's parks, greenbelts, creeks, preserves, aquafer recharge zones, endangered species, prevent a HUGE area in and around the city to be developed AT ALL!
7) Tree ordinances
8) Building setbacks
9) above ground power lines would need to be relocated to support increased density as they would be too close to residents.
10) COA assurance that parcels would be allowed to be subdivided. As it stands now, if you have a home that sits in the middle of a "double lot", the city forces you to tear the house down first, then apply for subdivision with zero certainty that the COA will approve it. This will cost you min $50-100K just to possible hear, no we will not allow you to subdivide your property.

Separately, in NYC. Rail use peaked in 1920-40's and is barely 1/2 of those numbers in 2023. Why are the citizens of America's most populous, most dense city using the most extensive subway system FAR less than they once did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...rk_City_Subway

Instead of paying for rail to be built and hoping on hope that density will increase 500%, only to then subsidize it to the tune of $30k/yr per rider (if memory serves). I propose we subsidize the working poor to take AI cars when they roll out in the near future.

Please argue in good faith. Lay out your vision of where the density would/could go, and how to get us there....politically and financially. That and point to where exactly my DETAILS are wrong, should be easy since my take is "insane".

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
I would agree with you if the price tag wasn't 10's of billions of dollars.
It's not.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
6) Austin's parks, greenbelts, creeks, preserves, aquafer recharge zones, endangered species, prevent a HUGE area in and around the city to be developed AT ALL!
They don't need to be developed.

If it's undeveloped and no one lives there, why would you run transit there? Why would you need transit supportive density there.

Most of your arguments fundamentally misunderstand density. It's not average density that matters. It's what the density is where most people are. It's what the density is where the transit is.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
It's not.
How much do you estimate our proposed "fully built" rail system would cost when it's completed?

My estimate would be MINIMUM $20B.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
They don't need to be developed.

If it's undeveloped and no one lives there, why would you run transit there? Why would you need transit supportive density there.

Most of your arguments fundamentally misunderstand density. It's not average density that matters. It's what the density is where most people are. It's what the density is where the transit is.
We have density in WC and downtown. That's it.

It may be possible to have "WC like" density at or near the Domain.

So we will shuttle upper middle people in Austin back and forth between downtown and the Domain? Or do you foresee other areas of the metro that will emerge as dense urban cores, if so, where are they?

My point was saying that Austin has very little places to grow other than OUT, as in suburbia. Suburbia is the anthesis of urban density and always will be. So how do we develop density in Austin proper to support even 8k per sq mi? Trick question, we can't.

How is rail better than AI cars?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin