HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 4:12 AM

Had a flight out of the Kamloops airport last week and super impressed with the transformation of the area so far in regards to the entry corridor.

A nice separated multi-use pathway with lighting and a beautiful park with the Jennifer Casey memorial art piece. Much needed upgrade to the area.

Last edited by mindcash; Jul 7, 2024 at 8:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:11 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Five-fold hike to repair bill at BC Housing apartment in Kamloops

A vacant BC Housing apartment in Kamloops is still awaiting repair work more than three years after a fire ousted its residents.

BC Housing now estimates repairs will cost $2.7 million for the building it bought for $12.8 million last spring, up from the planned $500,000 renovation.

When BC Housing announced the purchase in April 2023 it planned to open for residents by the fall, but renovations didn't start. The 435 Cherry Ave apartment building instead sat vacant over the winter and the upcoming repairs were made worse by a burst pipe.

A similar problem happened at the Fortune Motel that BC Housing bought in 2021. One of its two buildings would eventually be torn down before it opened as a supportive housing site.

It's not clear when the repairs to the 42-unit Cherry Avenue apartment building will be completed or when it is expected to open. It will house low and middle income families and individuals.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/five-fol...loops/it105560
I want to know. I remember getting off work just as the fire was starting to run up the vinyl siding and it's been years with seemingly no progress and incompetence. What the hell are they doing with this place that's taking so long???

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 11:53 PM

Sounds like that 12 story proposal is serious considering Interior Health is working with the developer for the daycare.

https://www.radionl.com/2024/07/08/n...town-kamloops/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:35 PM
Project manger

Sounds like it could get the go ahead which is surprising to me to be honest. Other then the Kelson project, EVERY large project has crashed and burned in Kamloops when it comes to tall proposals.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:29 PM

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/new...ntown-Kamloops

4 storey proposal for St Paul St downtown..

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen201 View Post
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/new...ntown-Kamloops

4 storey proposal for St Paul St downtown..
Another icon by BlueGreen. It's like they try to be terrible.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 7:22 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of the tower, I do like the podium, but that aside, this is a very significant development for downtown. Probably more than what I had thought before reading the report.

The location is within a block of the tallest, soon to be second tallest and third tallest buildings creating a cool little cluster. 3 blocks to the new Performing Arts Centre, 3 levels of underground parking, 8 possible store fronts on Columbia street, what looks like restaurant space on street level fronting 4th Ave, Second floor office/daycare space, 10 levels residential with 147 units. This would be such a cool addition to that neighbourhood that's going through a lot of change at the moment.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:33 AM

I love it. I love the unique colour scheme. Beats the drab colour schemes we’re seeing on almost every new tower elsewhere in BC.

Edit: maybe after staring at it for a few minutes, I’m starting to realize that it is the same half charcoal, half white colour scheme on every other new build, but with a splash of brown added.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 9:54 PM
Project manger

The colors work for our city, when you factor in our desert climate. Its pretty good over all.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 4:13 AM

[QUOTE=mindcash;10216757]From what I know, this study was meant to be completed at the end of April, but now they're saying end of May.

Anyone know what happened to the study?! They don’t seem to eager to get this done at all

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 3:39 PM
Project manger

I think they are finalizing things and will likely begin ground breaking in the Spring.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 3:43 PM
Project manger

Does anyone know of a different group that discusses city issues and architecture ( beyond SSC ) ? I was a moderator there for years, and we had a great group but who ever ran it completely fucked it up beyond use. I'm getting tired of this site and politically leaning slights and jabs and talking points on this site that comes from the progressives'. You cant even go on the weather sub thread with out having to sift through drag queen images. I STATRED THAT THREAD ON SCC lol. This site is almost not worth being on anymore unless you lean to the left or are part of the LGBTQ community.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 5:36 PM

I was wondering about that study the other day. Really weird how slow they've been with it. I hope you're right Rhino, and it gets built this spring.

Not sure of any other site that discusses development/architecture. The far left politics is on every social site, so good luck finding one that doesn't dabble. Maybe reddit? haha!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 6:45 PM
Project manger

Well you heard it here first gang:
Kamloops getting something new :

Coming to Aberdeen

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 7:20 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I still miss Five Guys. :c

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Well you heard it here first gang:
Kamloops getting something new :

Coming to Aberdeen
Loved Fatburger when I had it in Kelowna this is great news! Any idea whereabouts in Aberdeen it's opening?

Last edited by mindcash; Jul 21, 2024 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
I love it. I love the unique colour scheme. Beats the drab colour schemes we’re seeing on almost every new tower elsewhere in BC.

Edit: maybe after staring at it for a few minutes, I’m starting to realize that it is the same half charcoal, half white colour scheme on every other new build, but with a splash of brown added.
Ya, the brown definitely helps. Would be cool if they added a colour to the sideways U on the top 2 floors. Like a navy, or a baby blue colour.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 5:29 PM

[QUOTE=Jensen201;10249295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcash View Post
From what I know, this study was meant to be completed at the end of April, but now they're saying end of May.

Anyone know what happened to the study?! They don’t seem to eager to get this done at all
Cool looking bridge

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:37 AM

Its a cool looking bridge, but it's being endlessly delayed over the most minor of finger fucking possible.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:31 AM

That's what they do here. Endlessly talk about projects and waste money in the process. Government in a nutshell, but Kamloops is especially prone to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia