HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 5:15 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtbuilder View Post
Roof lighting is difficult, expensive, and complicated which is why you don't see it on every building. They are troubleshooting the lighting and the intent to have all the lights burning at the same intensity is what everyone will end up with. I can tell you from personal experience that when one fixture or string of fixtures fails somehow, getting replacements involves long lead times and technical work in the elements in a difficult environment. This building just opened a few months ago so there are kinks to be worked out - like the stain on the side that everyone loved to talk about so much. Most developers hope to sell their buildings for a profit at the end of the day so are generally aligned with comments on this forum, everything needs to be working and of a high quality to get the best price. External factors cannot be controlled easily by mere mortals.
Honestly I don't understand why they do not incorporate color changing lights. If it's going to cost them, they might as well do something better than just plain white.

They recently re-lit the former One American Center and it looks lovely. Finally one of our most iconic towers is back to it's former glory.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Roof lighting is difficult, expensive, and complicated which is why you don't see it on every building. They are troubleshooting the lighting and the intent to have all the lights burning at the same intensity is what everyone will end up with. I can tell you from personal experience that when one fixture or string of fixtures fails somehow, getting replacements involves long lead times and technical work in the elements in a difficult environment. This building just opened a few months ago so there are kinks to be worked out - like the stain on the side that everyone loved to talk about so much. Most developers hope to sell their buildings for a profit at the end of the day so are generally aligned with comments on this forum, everything needs to be working and of a high quality to get the best price. External factors cannot be controlled easily by mere mortals.
I guess I just don't understand why other major cities are able to pull it off

For instance, what the hell is the deal with that atrocious multi-colored 25 ft wide strip of Christmas lights the Alexan Waterloo....

I love spot lighting on towers. I think it looks classy and probably way cheaper to maintain?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I guess I just don't understand why other major cities are able to pull it off

For instance, what the hell is the deal with that atrocious multi-colored 25 ft wide strip of Christmas lights the Alexan Waterloo....

I love spot lighting on towers. I think it looks classy and probably way cheaper to maintain?
The Battery Atlanta has a tall building with a transparent video display which is on during the day and night. It looks super cool and futuristic like the cities you see in China.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 3:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
The Battery Atlanta has a tall building with a transparent video display which is on during the day and night. It looks super cool and futuristic like the cities you see in China.
Are you saying that's a good thing?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
While I certainly understand entirely that comparing large scale commercial lighting to the consumer space is apples and oranges, it is strange to me how consumer lighting is so easily automated, whereas there hasn't seemed to be much with commercial like that. Is there really no such products out there that boil down to "Phillips Hue, but with high-power LEDs producing several thousand lumens"?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:13 PM
Old West Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Are you saying that's a good thing?
I do. I've been to Shanghai and it's really damn impressive.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
I do. I've been to Shanghai and it's really damn impressive.
It's still a free country. You are absolutely entitled to have your opinion. I lived in NYC for years. Times Square is also impressive in that manner. It's where the tourists go. Then they check it off their bucket lists.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 7:40 PM

The issue I have with these video boards, using the examples of all the smaller ones everywhere. They are too bright. They blind you while driving and make it hard to see the road.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin