HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Yup, plus a young and growing population. All good things, unless you are a speculative real estate investor in Edmonton lol. Homes are for living in, not for profiting from.
Bingo!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:00 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Yup, plus a young and growing population. All good things, unless you are a speculative real estate investor in Edmonton lol. Homes are for living in, not for profiting from.
Keep your eye on supply. That's really it. So far YEG has been able to keep supply up with demand (although I expect conditions to continue to tighten up over the next 12-24 months).

Since housing is primarily supplied by private enterprise it HAS to be profitable. Unless we want to 'centralize' supply delivery through the government, investors (whether speculative or not) will need to sell housing for a profit. And I really don't care what one's own opinion is of the matter, this is the way it is in the free market economy.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:31 PM
Change is good

There's making a profit, and then there is gouging. And there is a lot of the latter happening in the rest of the country.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 4:02 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Keep your eye on supply. That's really it. So far YEG has been able to keep supply up with demand (although I expect conditions to continue to tighten up over the next 12-24 months).

Since housing is primarily supplied by private enterprise it HAS to be profitable. Unless we want to 'centralize' supply delivery through the government, investors (whether speculative or not) will need to sell housing for a profit. And I really don't care what one's own opinion is of the matter, this is the way it is in the free market economy.
Bingo. We are getting very, very close to capacity with our construction/development industry and that is expected to occur by next summer according to BILD AB.

If the migration numbers continue, expect significant supply shortages by Q3 next year.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 4:59 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:

It is a concern insofar as there is a lack of public housing being built. That was a decision made in the 80s to severely cut back on it and that has ultimately led to a lot of squeeze going on since then. More public housing would probably stimulate some virtuous cycles in this regard. I don't see us getting above 7,000 houses per million people without it. We maxed out at 9,000 houses per million in 1959 with the building of social housing to get us above that threshold. (National numbers here.)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 1:53 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
There's making a profit, and then there is gouging. And there is a lot of the latter happening in the rest of the country.
Define gouging? The market price is based on what the market is willing to pay for a particular product. Sorry but that's the free market economy working.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 2:27 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Define gouging? The market price is based on what the market is willing to pay for a particular product. Sorry but that's the free market economy working.
The housing market is no longer a housing market, its an investment device, that is stripping regular Canadians of opportunities to have an affordable place to live.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 515290753-002
Description: Demolition
Plan 0821851 Blk 9 Lot 58A
Applicant: PROCURA REAL ESTATE SERVICES LIMITED
Create Date: 2024-06-06T13:14:30Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Reference ID: Job No 515290753-002
Description: Demolition
Plan 0821851 Blk 9 Lot 58A
Applicant: PROCURA REAL ESTATE SERVICES LIMITED
Create Date: 2024-06-06T13:14:30Z
Parking lot? Must be cheaper taxes than on an empty building? Yes of course development on the site would be great - but without demolition of the building to the North this demolition is a bit of a shell game.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

50s/60s building on the corner. Assuming they are retaining the parking lot for multiple adjacent sites.

---

One12 is done and looks great.

ITC Construction Group

We are proud to announce we successfully achieved Occupancy at the One12 project! One12 is a 13-story apartment building with 217 rental units located in the Garneau neighborhood of Edmonton, Alberta. We would like to thank the Ownership group North American Development Group ("NADG"​) Group and Highpoint Developments Inc. for giving us the opportunity to be part of this amazing project. Thank you, GEC Architecture, and the Consultant Group for their remarkable design. Most importantly we would like to thank all our involved Trade Partners for contributing to the success of this project.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/itc...1-9ea34e7d020a

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 7:13 PM
A Better Place

We need 10 more One12s scattered throughout the city please and thank you, perfect form and quality for building urbanism.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:19 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 518583895-002
Description: To establish a Comprehensive Sign Design Plan for (Stationland) and to install (8) Freestanding Sign(s) limited to On-premises Advertising and (4) Projecting Sign(s) not in the form of a Roof Sign limited to On-premises Advertising (Stationland)
Plan 2321876 Blk A Lot 1
Applicant: BEHRENDS BRONZE INC.
Create Date: 2024-07-05T09:53:21Z

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:29 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:37 PM
Community Guy

Damn that is a great price/unit/sale.
---

Institutional Property Advisors, a division of Marcus & Millichap brokerage, is pleased to announce
the sale of:
THE VIEW
9922 111 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta

TRANSACTION SUMMARY
Address: 9922 111 Street NW, Edmonton, AB
Suites: 179
Sale Date: June 2024
Purchase Price: $79,333,333 ($443,203.00 / suite)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

Coming soon to Jasper Avenue...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 8:44 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Coming soon to Jasper Avenue...

Is this an acquisition of a development site or an existing building? The pictures sure make it look like the latter, what with with the, shall we kindly say downmarket, stove in the kitchen.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 5:39 AM
Community Guy

It's the tower proposal on the SEC of Jasper/121st.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 6:11 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
It's the tower proposal on the SEC of Jasper/121st.
Since that's the case, they should change the caption over the kitchen picture to say "you won't miss this"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton