HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:40 PM

[Halifax] United Memorial Church (5375 Kaye Street) | 33.5 m | 12 fl | proposed

Been wanting to talk about this one in the discussion about church conversions but it wasn't public yet. Now we finally can!

Sidewalk R.E.D. has publicly released their proposal for the United Memorial Church on Kaye Street. It's being done through the heritage development agreement policy. There's no page on the HRM website yet but it should be up soon. Designer is Breakhouse.

Proposal includes two options:
  • Performance venue in the church and 60 residential units
  • 78 residential units

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 1:19 PM

Nice! Not sure which rendering is which proposal, but a performance venue would be great, although I prefer the design of the first render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Been wanting to talk about this one in the discussion about church conversions but it wasn't public yet. Now we finally can!

Sidewalk R.E.D. has publicly released their proposal for the United Memorial Church on Kaye Street. It's being done through the heritage development agreement policy. There's no page on the HRM website yet but it should be up soon. Designer is Breakhouse.

Proposal includes two options:
  • Performance venue in the church and 60 residential units
  • 78 residential units

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:05 PM

Sorry, should have been more clear. The first rendering is the "rear" (from Young Street), and the second is the "front" from Kaye.

I don't think the exterior would much change whether or not there was a performance venue. Basically the more modern extension to the church would be removed and replaced with a 12-story residential tower. The remainder of the church would be restored and in one option would be a performance space and in the second option would be residential units.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:46 PM

This is great; I hope the heritage development agreement doesnèt get bogged down in neighbourhood NIMBYism. I live a couple of blocks away so I"ll be in full support.

It's just too bad the building restoration isn't going a little further, to restore some of the detail that was lost over the years. The design of the original chiurch was quite striking in a way that's been streamlined and lost over the years.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:40 AM

Great to see and it is really well located!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:08 AM

Looks like a really nice project. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing pics of the restoration.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth