HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:34 PM

You're right. Previously they looked less imposing maybe. Today it's like they've suited up in tactical gear, dressed in all black, big shoulders, ready for the one guy they were dealing with to pull out his AK.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You're right. Previously they looked less imposing maybe. Today it's like they've suited up in tactical gear, dressed in all black, big shoulders, ready for the one guy they were dealing with to pull out his AK.
The classic security guard LARP. They always seem to strap as much shit to themselves as possible to look cool. My Army time just makes me cringe when I see that because that extra shit on your rig gets heavy quick when you're wearing it for hours and it makes you slow lol.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:57 PM

Things have changed since I retired in April.

Back then the security company had smaller female guards at the library who were there more for the observe and report style of security. I don't think they would have been doing any confrontation with library patrons.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:16 PM

Congrats on your retirement!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Congrats on your retirement!

after 46 years at work downtown it was time to leave

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:14 PM
What could go wrong?

I think that Mayor Gillingham captured my thoughts pretty well with these statements he said at the recent downtown safety announcement.

“We want to ensure that individuals who are struggling with addiction and mental health issues, or housing needs, have access to the necessary supports that they need to lead healthy and dignified lives,” Mayor Scott Gillingham said at a news conference Tuesday.

“At the same time, we cannot let unwell people determine the state of our downtown. We can’t be continually threatened by safety issues.”

The amount of unprovoked attacks of random, innocent people is unacceptable. Most recently a number of attacks on elderly in the exchange.

I have harder line thoughts on crime but try to understand the underlying issues. When it comes to random, unprovoked violent attacks on innocent people, I have zero tolerance and sympathy...substance abuse or not.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think that Mayor Gillingham captured my thoughts pretty well with these statements he said at the recent downtown safety announcement.

“We want to ensure that individuals who are struggling with addiction and mental health issues, or housing needs, have access to the necessary supports that they need to lead healthy and dignified lives,” Mayor Scott Gillingham said at a news conference Tuesday.

“At the same time, we cannot let unwell people determine the state of our downtown. We can’t be continually threatened by safety issues.”

The amount of unprovoked attacks of random, innocent people is unacceptable. Most recently a number of attacks on elderly in the exchange.

I have harder line thoughts on crime but try to understand the underlying issues. When it comes to random, unprovoked violent attacks on innocent people, I have zero tolerance and sympathy...substance abuse or not.
Couldn't agree more. Kinew also seems to be onside:

"When somebody is in crisis, when somebody is acting out in the streets, we want to get them health-care services," Kinew said at a morning news conference at True North Square.

"But the desire to respond with compassion and health care cannot be an excuse for inaction in the face of issues we see are causing other Manitobans to be threatened or to feel unsafe."

(source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.7258958)

There seem to have been some positive baby steps with Gillingham and Kinew towards addressing this issue. Let's hope they continue.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Couldn't agree more. Kinew also seems to be onside:

"When somebody is in crisis, when somebody is acting out in the streets, we want to get them health-care services," Kinew said at a morning news conference at True North Square.

"But the desire to respond with compassion and health care cannot be an excuse for inaction in the face of issues we see are causing other Manitobans to be threatened or to feel unsafe."

(source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.7258958)

There seem to have been some positive baby steps with Gillingham and Kinew towards addressing this issue. Let's hope they continue.
Sure is nice to have a civic and provincial leader who are willing to work together.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Things have changed since I retired in April.

Back then the security company had smaller female guards at the library who were there more for the observe and report style of security. I don't think they would have been doing any confrontation with library patrons.
library employees are scared to come to work as numerous have weapons and are trading weapons & drugs in the cubbies and hidden corners. this is facts, not assumptions

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:39 PM

Why would someone go to the library to do sell drugs, or weapons? Like what is the reason for that? Serious question. Beyond someone going in for a place to sleep or something, it makes zero sense.

Just go outside on the street and do whatever you want.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Why would someone go to the library to do sell drugs, or weapons? Like what is the reason for that? Serious question. Beyond someone going in for a place to sleep or something, it makes zero sense.

Central location on a major bus mall ,and I guess that one can find a quiet spot in the stacks to do business in. If you tried to do business at City Place in the food court you would probably be noticed by security.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
library employees are scared to come to work as numerous have weapons and are trading weapons & drugs in the cubbies and hidden corners. this is facts, not assumptions
I thought that the security screening was eliminating all the contraband coming in the downtown library.

OTH I could see that happening at all the other libraries that don't have the security screening downtown has.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:02 AM

Quote:

The presence of a bunch of 'civilians' in a reasonably safe environment may be part of it. If you want to sell a gun, you're more likely to be robbed in the transaction if you meet in a dark alley vs inside the library.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:24 PM

I just wanted to share something positive about the city. We have family staying with us from Toronto right now. We have 4 adults and 4 kids under 6 years old.

The adults from Toronto are amazed with:

1. The forks and I quote "This is unreal, Toronto has nothing like this"

2. The children's museum "This place is perfect, so much for the kids to do here" not to mention free 3 hr parking if attending the museum.

3. Proximity of downtown to suburban neighborhoods.

4. Affordability of housing.

5. Tree canopy

6. Transit (yes you read that correctly)

7. The utilization of our rivers (we saw many people with motorboats and some with kayaks on the red)

So there you go...not the shithole many people on here think it is. The grass is not always greener folks
Take pride in this place we call home and keep striving to make it better.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
I just wanted to share something positive about the city. We have family staying with us from Toronto right now. We have 4 adults and 4 kids under 6 years old.

2. The children's museum "This place is perfect, so much for the kids to do here" not to mention free 3 hr parking if attending the museum.

5. Tree canopy

7. The utilization of our rivers (we saw many people with motorboats and some with kayaks on the red)

So there you go...not the shithole many people on here think it is. The grass is not always greener folks
YES!!! Thank you for posting this.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:39 PM

Thanks for sharing rebl. We often get caught up in the negative.

Growing up, in high school and such. Lots of stuff went on. The last thing people thought was, 'Hey lets go to the library to deal some drugs!'

This isn't an 80's sitcom where you need to meet with the guy posted up on the corner when it's dark. Go to a parking lot, or other place where people are around if need me. Just seems ridiculous to me, but I guess not to other people.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 7:31 PM

If you're under 25 and like to party, attend a Bomber game on a hot night or go to the Beer Can, you'll never leave Winnipeg (this according to my kids & their friends)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 7:59 PM

Pretty much! Spent my younger legal days at Canad inns stadium and it was always a great time. Lesser so at the new stadium when it first opened.

Was at last weeks game with my kids for the first time and there was a lot of fun being had out there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 8:30 PM

The bombers have always done an outstanding job in this city with giving people a great summer activity I the city.

We also talked about the goldeyes stadium with the craft beer corner and the playground...he was quick to point out (maybe someone can confirm) that you can't watch the game from the playground which is kind of a letdown. Maybe someone can address that - remove screen at fenceline, install TVs.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post

5. Tree canopy

Great post! Thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan