HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 10:21 PM

Sterile as ever

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 10:23 PM

Probably is the plan.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 11:19 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 9, 2024 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
River and Osborne has been very quiet for at least the last month. I believe it's because the shelter in the church basement has closed (for the summer?).
The overnight shelter there only operates in the winter and has been closed since April I believe, but they do still offer free lunches and programming throughout the week, all year. Oak Table does good, important work. Moving the places that serve the poor out of a neighborhood does nothing to solve the problems, it only puts it out of our immediate view.

I suspect the reasons River and Osborne itself is quieter lately is a mix of Starbucks closing (losing a public bathroom), the construction along River, and the very noticeable increased police presence in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Slghtlky newer version. Looks the same I think.
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=660682
God damn that's ugly. It looks like some kind of detention centre. How does this crap even get approved?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
The overnight shelter there only operates in the winter and has been closed since April I believe, but they do still offer free lunches and programming throughout the week, all year. Oak Table does good, important work. Moving the places that serve the poor out of a neighborhood does nothing to solve the problems, it only puts it out of our immediate view.

I suspect the reasons River and Osborne itself is quieter lately is a mix of Starbucks closing (losing a public bathroom), the construction along River, and the very noticeable increased police presence in the neighborhood.
Yeah the most disruptive people tend to be ones who camp out on the riverbank anyway. You don't sleep in a shelter in the summer if you're chopping up bikes or doing meth all night. Has very little to do with Oak table. The problems were there a long time before Oak table was.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Yeah the most disruptive people tend to be ones who camp out on the riverbank anyway. You don't sleep in a shelter in the summer if you're chopping up bikes or doing meth all night. Has very little to do with Oak table. The problems were there a long time before Oak table was.
The cops must know that chop shop is open across from the Granite. It needs to be raided, confiscated and the people arrested.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
The cops must know that chop shop is open across from the Granite. It needs to be raided, confiscated and the people arrested.
but dont those people need more hugs and not prison? hugs and free drugs in a safe consumption site is the solution, not prison. but dont give them any plastic straws or plastic cutlery, that's illegal.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
but dont those people need more hugs and not prison? hugs and free drugs in a safe consumption site is the solution, not prison. but dont give them any plastic straws or plastic cutlery, that's illegal.
Ladies and gentleman, the atrophied right-wing brain. Just sort of stringing together unconnected thoughts, all glued together with a healthy dose of anger.

Not sure what all that gibberish has to do with why the police aren't raiding a chop shop (have you called?), but last I checked being a homeless drug addict was not a walk in the park. And you can still buy as much plastic shit as you want at the grocery store!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
has to do with why the police aren't raiding a chop shop (have you called?)
I have called 311 to file a complaint on city property since I wasn't observing a crime in progress and I informed a cop in a cruiser while on a bike ride in the village.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Ladies and gentleman, the atrophied right-wing brain. Just sort of stringing together unconnected thoughts, all glued together with a healthy dose of anger.

Not sure what all that gibberish has to do with why the police aren't raiding a chop shop (have you called?), but last I checked being a homeless drug addict was not a walk in the park. And you can still buy as much plastic shit as you want at the grocery store!
step 1 - google "atrophied"
step 2 - attempt to figure out why he/she/they are saying i'm have "uncontrolled thoughts and healthy dose anger"
step 3 - ignore xubiqtss comments as he does believe criminal activity is ok and we should ban all plastics but legalize hard core drugs
step 4 - offer xubiqtss a hug as he truly is the one full of anger and needs one

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:05 PM
keep the good times going

Bring the political brain rot to the politics thread plz

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:00 PM

Yep, this is a construction thread.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I have called 311 to file a complaint on city property since I wasn't observing a crime in progress and I informed a cop in a cruiser while on a bike ride in the village.
There will be a particular unit that works on this, I'm sure they're aware of the main chop shop locations. But it takes time to build a case and add up enough small charges to make it worthwhile, and they're always on the move so that complicates things. So many bikes aren't even reported stolen, if you go down there and find a guy with a bike taken apart that isn't even reported stolen then you've got nothing. Mischief charge or something maybe?

This is one of those cases where gov't has to enact a law specifically designed for this, to empower police to shut these down and charge the guys with something. It's a huge problem all over the country so maybe we'll see some action taken

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Watch them just build the parkade and not the residential portion.
What would prevent this? Of course, the city wouldn't have approved just a parkade... but if they build the parkade and then uh "economic circumstances changed" or whatever your favourite excuse is... does the city have any recourse at all? Especially if they don't *cancel* the residential component, but just claim that it's "delayed"?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:13 PM

Hey Vike, do you know if any of the CRUs in the new Osborne building are leased?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:53 PM
What could go wrong?

They are actively driving new concrete piles at the confusion corner detention centre site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
What would prevent this? Of course, the city wouldn't have approved just a parkade... but if they build the parkade and then uh "economic circumstances changed" or whatever your favourite excuse is... does the city have any recourse at all? Especially if they don't *cancel* the residential component, but just claim that it's "delayed"?
Unfortunately I don't know what would prevent this scenario.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are actively driving new concrete piles at the confusion corner detention centre site.
Are there any other robotic parking garages around here? I know of none. Would be neat to see in action.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:46 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I am working on a couple developments that are planning on using mechanized parking equipment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan