HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
"They" represent taxpayers, no?

Unionized public workers or, more concerning, unionized public workers making up a disproportional amount of Canada's wage growth is another matter.

Our charter banks are grossly protected by the Feds from outside competition. They constantly make record profit overcharging Canadians, outsourcing jobs internationally or layoffs below the publication limit in order to hire imported contract workers for less. "They" or their sweat-heart deal with Canadians is never discussed. It's always the LCBO.
LCBO union members don't represent me, a taxpayer, no.

AFAIK banks aren't on strike. Who's saying "always" the LCBO? Not me. It's the LCBO right now, because they are striking right now. AFAIK banks aren't on strike.

I support most strikes. Fight for your rights! And if LCBO workers want better pay and conditions, and are willing to strike for them, go for it!

I just don't support them demanding a monopoly.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
LCBO union members don't represent me, a taxpayer, no.

AFAIK banks aren't on strike. Who's saying "always" the LCBO? Not me. It's the LCBO right now, because they are striking right now. AFAIK banks aren't on strike.

I support most strikes. Fight for your rights! And if LCBO workers want better pay and conditions, and are willing to strike for them, go for it!

I just don't support them demanding a monopoly.
The other critical difference is the big banks don't individually have a monopoly. If any one of them gets shutdown by a strike, the rest of them would continue to operate. Credit unions also provide similar banking functions.

These liquor distribution boards typically have a monopoly at wholesale. The exception being locally produced product in some provinces.

Old Posted Today, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I lived in Alberta. Majority of Retail market share was held by a handful of conglomerates.
Prices on many products were actually higher than LCBO.

For the non chain option stores, there's a number of dusty bodega looking liquor stores in Calgary. You had to ask around to figure out which stores to go to in each quadrant of Calgary.

In the pro LCBO column, for Ontarians you can go to any town in the province from Kenora to Kingston and know you can find a decent selection of liquor, wine and beer/coolers at the same pricing you're accustomed to with actual knowledgeable staff. I understand the hours in smaller population centres aren't great but in most situations it's not difficult to plan ahead.

It provides thousands of livable wage jobs. Also it's a cash cow for the province.

From their latest annual report

Despite gripes I'm pro LCBO
A few points to counter your pro-LCBO argument.

1. "In the pro LCBO column, for Ontarians you can go to any town in the province from Kenora to Kingston and know you can find a decent selection of liquor, wine and beer/coolers at the same pricing you're accustomed to with actual knowledgeable staff."

That role is filled by the chain liquor retailers in Alberta. Go to any Sobeys/Safeway, Co-op, or Real Canadian LiquorStore (Loblaws) in Alberta and you will a decent selection of product at the same price whether the store is in Grande Prairie or Medicine Hat.

2. Regarding dusty bodega looking liquor stores, go to any LCBO location in rural Ontario; especially in the North and be prepared for small dated stores with limited hours and product.

3. Alberta's private system allows for a much broader selection of products; that will never see the shelf in Ontario. Tell me which LCBO store(s) carries craft beer from New Brunswick (Moosehead doesn't count), Newfoundland, Yukon, NWT, Alaska, PEI, etc. All readily available in Alberta.

4. Many Alberta liquor retailers have Growler Bars where consumers can purchase craft beer to go. Name a LCBO store which offers that?

5. The Alberta private system allows for retailer specialization; especially in the larger centres. There are excellent craft beer stores in Calgary which carry a curated selection of craft beers. One such store is called "Collective - A Craft Beer Shop". They have something like 500+craft beers (no macro beer) and 20 taps for growlers. Name a LCBO which offers this?

Old Posted Today, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
A few points to counter your pro-LCBO argument.

4. Many Alberta liquor retailers have Growler Bars where consumers can purchase craft beer to go. Name a LCBO store which offers that?
Ontario microbreweries and distilleries are allowed to sell their own product on site and most have retail locations at their brewery. One thing the industry is pushing for change is to allow them to set up their own stores away from their production location. Whether these stores would be allowed to sell other products or just be limited to their own branded stuff is also open to question, if this actually happens.

Old Posted Today, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Ontario microbreweries and distilleries are allowed to sell their own product on site and most have retail locations at their brewery. One thing the industry is pushing for change is to allow them to set up their own stores away from their production location. Whether these stores would be allowed to sell other products or just be limited to their own branded stuff is also open to question, if this actually happens.
As are Alberta craft breweries and distilleries. That's pretty much allowed in every province. Newfoundland does allow craft breweries to have retail locations outside of their production facilities. Hopefully that will be allowed in Ontario.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada