HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 6:39 PM

The Economic, Human Cost of London's Car-Dependency

Hey everyone, I'd like to invite a discussion about the negative economic impacts of car use in London, Ontario.

The understanding that some folks have in this city concerning the impact of car-dependency on society's economic bottom line is frustrating. I watch the headlines and often read about Londoner after Londoner killed by another car driver, either in a car, bike, or simply a pedestrian. All too often every single one of these events is followed by armchair economists insisting individually driving their 4-person car over hectares of 3.5m wide roads is the most efficient and beneficial use of resources for our city of London, Ontario - subtly suggesting or even outright stating that these deaths are normal, acceptable, and the status quo is preferred (unless they themselves or someone they love has been impacted...)

Here's a recap of the last few months of headlines involving car drivers hitting Londoners with their cars:

https://imgur.com/a/JT1b1d9

alt-text:
| Date | Location | Outcome for Driver | Outcome for Pedestrian | Truncated Headline |
|------------|------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------|---------------------------|--------------------------|
| Jun 22, 2024 | Wellington & Commissioners roads | No consequences | Taken to hospital | Police probe shut... |
| Jun 17, 2024 | Wonderland N & Oxford West | Fled scene | Serious injuries | Pedestrian serio... |
| Jun 4, 2024 | Dundas & Colborne streets | No information | Unknown injuries | Person on electr... |
| Jun 22, 2024 | Sunset Road & Fingal Line, St. Thomas | Fled scene | Killed | Police investiga... |
| Mar 13, 2024 | Adelaide Street bridge near King Street | Remained at scene | Killed | London pedestria... |
| Mar 7, 2024 | Commissioners Road East near Highbury Avenue | Remained at scene | Serious injuries | Roads reopen aft... |
| Jan 24, 2024 | Highway 4 near 14 Mile Road | No information | Killed | Pedestrian kille... |
| Mar 13, 2024 | Adelaide Street North bridge, south of King | Remained at scene | Killed | Pedestrian dies ... |
| Jan 12, 2024 | Veterans Memorial Parkway, north of Hamilton | Remained at scene | Life-threatening | Pedestrian fight... |
| Nov 13, 2023 | Adelaide Street North and Glenora Drive | Remained at scene | Killed | Pedestrian kille... |

As someone who bikes regularly to their job, allowing my partner to drive my car to work enables us to be a 1-car family, thus saving at least $350/month, which is an extra $4,200 in disposable income we spend at local businesses. Culturally, I know for a fact that if I'm the one in the headlines next, the very same folks will come out to make the same comments that, at best, stem from a fundamental misunderstanding of how civil finance and walkability interact to effect the average London taxpayer.

Let's break down the real economic impact of car dependency in London:

1. Cars Hurt the Economy by Killing Londoners
• Each life lost represents a significant economic blow to our city. These aren't just statistics; they're taxpayers, workers, family members, and consumers, removed from our local economy.
• For instance, if we conservatively estimate each person's economic activity at $50,000 per year, losing at least four citizens annually (as we do in London apparently) equates to a $200,000 annual loss to our economy.
• The ripple effect on families is substantial. Any income earner's death can cripple a family's finances, increase reliance on deficit-facing services like mental health care, and reducing overall economic productivity of the entire family.

2. Cars Hurt the Economy by Reducing Business Traffic
• Our obsession with parking has turned vibrant areas like our downtown area into concrete slabs of road and parking. Just look at the difference between the Victoria Park area, the foot traffic those businesses have, and then look merely four blocks south to the parking lots surrounding London's train station – which area generates more economic activity per square foot?
• Studies show that walkable cities have higher property values and more successful businesses, which leads to higher city revenue for services like road maintenance and traffic enforcement. For example, a study by the City of Toronto found that pedestrian-friendly areas saw 40% lower commercial vacancy rates compared to car-centric areas.
• The land used for downtown parking, especially parking lots adjacent to the Bus Rapid Transit stops, is an objectively poor economic use of the space. One might even find several locations downtown where a parking spot may generate less revenue than a mature tree in the same spot - the knock-on effects of shade, walkability, air quality, street traffic, would replace what the square footage a parking spot would earn in annual revenue.

3. Car Dependency Diminishes Livability and Societal Health
• The "loneliness epidemic" isn't just a social issue; it's an economic one. Isolated people are less productive and more likely to require mental health services. Walkable areas are more social, and high sociality is directly linked to happiness - and happy citizens are more productive citizens (since we don't value happiness outright in Canada ~gestures angrily around at everything~).
• Noise pollution from traffic isn't just annoying – it's linked to decreased property values and increased health care costs. The WHO estimates that traffic noise in Western Europe alone costs society at least €40 billion per year. Our downtown is dead quiet at times when there's no cars driving by, but in contrast - Frank & Furter's patio on King's absolutely sucks with the amount of motor exhaust settling onto your plate. Barney's consistently has motorcycles intentionally ripping away from their patio too.
• Air pollution from cars contributes to health issues, increasing healthcare costs and reducing productivity. The Canadian Medical Association estimated that air pollution costs Canada $8 billion annually in health care expenses.
• Car dependency disproportionately affects our most vulnerable citizens. Those who can't afford or are unable to drive a car face significant barriers to employment, healthcare, and social participation.

No one's suggesting to ban anything in a hyperbolic manner, though we should make the realization that in later decades every single Londoner will benefit from "severe" policies like congestion taxes, for those insisting not to use the (if-ever-practical) rapid transit system downtown. Every Londoner would economically benefit from a mental shift in our infrastructure planning towards a city with less cars. This means:

• Investing in protected bike lanes and pedestrian infrastructure by reducing 4-lane roads to 2-lane roads. (Candidates like York St., Richmond St.)
• Improving public transit frequency, coverage, and holding fares against inflation for several years
• Review each parking spot in the downtown core, first removing city on-street parking spots, whilst changing policy to discourage private surface lots.
• Enable trees to be planted immediately next to roadways, granted things like utilities enable.

By making these changes, we can create a London that's not only more economically vibrant but also safer, healthier, and more financially accessible for working class families.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like London is shifting in a better or worse direction in this sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 7:52 PM

I’m in London right now visiting from BC, London is where I grew up. As a resident of a highly walkable part of Metro Vancouver, I am always struck at how car dependent London is whenever I’m back. Where my parents live in the west end, there’s no walkability whatsoever - you have to drive everywhere, or pay $3.50 to catch a bus that comes once an hour on Sundays or every 30 minutes the rest of the week. It’s incredibly isolating. And there’s a notable lack of “third places” - if you want a coffee shop, your only choice is Tim Hortons in this particular area.

Also striking is the continued construction of single family home subdivisions, in areas like Lambeth, and outside the city around Komoka - with very little commercial development that one can walk to. Most of the new areas have no public transit whatsoever.

I am also struck at how dead the streets are, both in the suburbs and downtown. Lots of cars but very few people. (The heat wave this week may be contributing to this, in fairness)

There are more walkable parts of London than where I grew up, but it’s still nothing like the dense areas of Metro Vancouver, or Toronto, or Montreal.

London’s problems will take decades to fix as many Londoners are happy with the status quo and have chosen this community because of its car dependency and Quiet Neighbourhoods™

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 12:04 AM

Simple fact is that as much as we bitch, London isn't really that hard to get around by car and easy to park wherever you want to go. We went to a sold out concert at Bud Gardens Saturday night, got there 45 minutes after doors opened and had no problem parking a 5 minute walk away. Sure, a couple streets are hard to travel a couple times a day but we aren't gridlocked.

The transit system is pretty basic, our civic leaders all drive cars, none take the bus until election time when they are invited for a ride along with the LTC GM to discuss transit issues, so there is no real political will to improve it. This new BRT system hardly has any fans, even amongst pro-transit people, and the city doesn't even have budget set up to start to operate it when the first routes are ready to go in a couple years. Never mind that it's not being built to serve the people that would probably use it most, university students. Current routes are not very conveniently scheduled and too downtown specific. We lived in Byron and if my kids had to take LTC to or from Saunders, it would take as long as it would to get to Montcalm the other side of town, because of how crappy the routes were timed.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 12:49 PM
User Registered

London lacks proper car infrastructure as well which adds to frustration. Most car-centric cities have many 6 lane roads (sometimes 8 lanes) and some municipal freeways and/or bypasses.

Since London has none of this stuff, those longer-distance journeys take place on narrow city streets and can cause a lot of stress for drivers, causing them to take more aggressive risks on the road.

The good news is we don't really need to do expensive transformative projects to turn these blights of infrastructure into something else. However, that also means the progressive news stories about them are gone as well.

Not Just Bikes and others like to rip on London and I do concede he has many valid points, but the city is either average on some things or well above average when it comes to big 'stroads' or inner city freeways that cut neighbourhoods off from one-another.

We're making good progress in some areas such as the BRT (half-assed but something), adding bike lanes and some are even decently-protected bike lanes, removing pork-chop style right turn lanes at intersection rebuilds (these are terrible for pedestrians), road diets, lowering speed limits, etc. There is still lots to be done but I think London is making decent progress... sure maybe not as much as we'd like but at least it's something.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Today, 12:39 AM

"Two-vehicle crash claims one life, sends two others to hospital east of London"

East Zorra-Tavistock, north of Woodstock. A rural road intersected by a two stop signs.

One person killed, one seriously injured, and one taken to the hospital as a precaution.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...road-1.7255105

~~~~~~~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues