HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Is that at Evelyn Street?
Not familiar with Evelyn Street nor can I find it but that is at the Worchester Dr/parking deck street crossing The BeltLine and where The BeltLine rejoins the BeltLine right of way. The first pic is looking south and is on the right of way with The BeltLine heading towards the Monroe St crossing.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 12:05 PM

That's actually Evelyn Street. Worchester Drive is on the other side of Monroe and then splits off from Evelyn on the Beltline side of Monroe.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Not familiar with Evelyn Street nor can I find it but that is at the Worchester Dr/parking deck street crossing The BeltLine and where The BeltLine rejoins the BeltLine right of way. The first pic is looking south and is on the right of way with The BeltLine heading towards the Monroe St crossing.
Google will literally tell you where Evelyn is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ev...rf_1?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
Google will literally tell you where Evelyn is:
Odd since Apple Maps calls it Worchester Dr and the street sign on Monroe also says Worchester Dr. I run by it all the time so I'm sure of that. Plus here are directions from the Piedmont Park site.

"...The garage is just beyond the intersection of Monroe Drive & Worchester Dr. NE. ..."

https://piedmontpark.org/directions/

Last edited by Julien; Jul 2, 2024 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 9:25 PM

However, the Beltline correctly refers to it as Evelyn.

"Northeast Trail – Segment 1: Construction is underway on this segment that runs alongside Piedmont Park and will be completed in three phases: Phase I from Westminster Drive to Evelyn Street, Phase II from Evelyn Street to Monroe Drive, and Phase III including the 10th Street and Monroe Drive intersection improvements."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 11:34 PM

Awesome, thanks for the pictures Julien.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Odd since Apple Maps calls it Worchester Dr and the street sign on Monroe also says Worchester Dr. I run by it all the time so I'm sure of that. Plus here are directions from the Piedmont Park site.

"...The garage is just beyond the intersection of Monroe Drive & Worchester Dr. NE. ..."

https://piedmontpark.org/directions/
I too have found this extremely confusing

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the pictures Julien.
Damn I take too many pictures. Here is a pic from the BP era (before pandemic) on July 2019.

If there is one thing ATL is infamous for is street naming. Grew up in Savannah and nice squares and street naming. ATL: The same street can change names at an intersection like Juniper and Courtland. Im sooooooo surprised it is not named Peachtree Pied.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the photographic evidence, but I don't think anyone doubted you that the intersection there is called Monroe and Worchester. A few feet beyond that intersection, the road splits and Worchester goes one way and Evelyn goes the other way, over the Beltline and into the Botanical Garden parking deck.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:48 PM

It is totally ridiculous that they are two separate streets. Worcester Dr basically becomes the driveway to the sewage lift pump station or whatever. In the other direction, Worcester is that weird driveway next to the substation. The amount of Worcester that resembles a real street is less than 150' long. A great microcosm of how absurd Atlanta can be.

It's also offensive on a continuity level. There's Amsterdam Avenue and Dutch Valley Road (which itself isn't much of a road), so it's a Dutch theme, right?

Not so fast. In addition to Worcester Drive, there's Westminster Drive (a gravel alley with basically nothing on it) and Yorkshire Drive, mixed among the Dutch-themed roads. Yorkshire is at least a proper street, unlike most of these...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:59 PM

I used to make fun of some other cities about their lack of development on SSP.
For example, I'd say "why look at New Orleans, since it at the top of City Complications. But would laugh and say something like 'they're probably building a new burger joint."

and here we sit in this great city talking about naming streets, and how f'ed up this city is?

Paleeze... boy bye.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 1:01 PM

Eastside Trail:

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 4:20 PM

The "dual" Piedmont Park trail now has railing (and fence removed).

Back to The BeltLine right away looking south towards Monroe (not open or complete).

Monroe looking north and getting close to paving.

I know it is still too early but so far no evidence of how the Beltline crossing will be unhindered.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 9:46 AM

While still hoping I'm not the only one concerned by the BeltLine Monroe & 10th.

https://saportareport.com/atlanta-ne...maria_saporta/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 1:45 PM

Have they installed the second traffic light (at Kanuga) yet?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Have they installed the second traffic light (at Kanuga) yet?
They haven't.

I think as long as the engineering is good (which is a BIG qualifier), this can still work. The Kanuga light needs to cycle red a good six seconds before the 10th Street southbound light, so cars don't get stuck between the lights on the Beltline. The 10th street northbound light needs to turn red at the same time as the Kanuga light, so that cars have ample time to clear the huge intersection.

The need to stop the walk sign across 10th while Monroe has a green--it's just another unnecessary point of danger, with too many cars turning and too much happening. Just make the whole entire thing a scramble, and make it scramble for longer than it currently does.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta