HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:11 PM

It appears that the AC YEG-SFO is being downgraded from year-round to seasonal, commencing in October.

TBH, I'm surprised AC is keeping this route at all given its Westerns Canada cutbacks. Maybe by next year it will be scrapped altogether.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:13 PM
Community Guy

That's really unfortunate if true given the importance of the tech connections and west coast hub.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 1:59 AM

Maybe it will transition to UA as some of the YYC routes have

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 5:32 AM

Also looks like a good chunk of YEG-YVR was downgauged to Air Canada express from mainline. YEG-CUN is now on the A220 as well.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 4:04 PM
Community Guy

The A220 is an amazing plane to fly on and far preferred over a 320 or 737.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 6:18 PM

At this point, given Edmonton's population of 1.5M people as the 5th largest metro in Canada, Edmonton's strong population growth, Edmonton's GDP forecasted to lead the country or be at the top of leading the country for the next several years, and YEG climbing back to ~8M passengers still as the 5th busiest airport in the country, YEG has solidified its spot as Air Canada's largest regional market.

I understand that Air Canada is heavily focused on Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver as their strategy coming out of covid, but the lack of service and routes, and the slow downgrade of current service by Canada's largest airline in YEG is nothing short of embarrassing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:25 PM
Community Guy

^lack of demand/yields from the business community?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^lack of demand/yields from the business community?
To Fort Mac? Grande Prairie? Saskatoon? Regina, Winnipeg? What about a seasonal to Phoenix or Palm Springs or the return of Rouge to Vegas?

Without looking at any numbers I would wager to bet that there is enough demand and enough to make yield between any of those cities and Edmonton to fill at least a 50 seat RJ but its just not their plan. We have had the same discussions on this and other forums for a decade plus about AC's declining service. AC simply does not view YEG as anything but a regional market and yet I still continued to be surprised at how much less they can provide in our market.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 8:49 PM
Community Guy

My experience flying out of YEG is that the high revenue passengers are relatively sparse compared to other cities.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Also looks like a good chunk of YEG-YVR was downgauged to Air Canada express from mainline.
Almost all regular narrow bodies I've flown on that route have been full. What's going on with the downgauge?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBL View Post

Without looking at any numbers I would wager to bet that there is enough demand and enough to make yield between any of those cities and Edmonton to fill at least a 50 seat RJ but its just not their plan.
They don't even fly 50 seat RJs anymore.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch go View Post
They don't even fly 50 seat RJs anymore.
Sorry, as of June 6, 2024 they do not, but thanks for your contribution to the broader discussion.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 7:01 AM

We have seen the AC express down gauge on YEG-YVR before - it seems to come and go. I suspect the SFO situation is partly due to SFO not being such an amazing place to vacation these days. If part of the market is reduced it could impact the overall viability. Sucks for YEG. UA did used to operate on this route up to 2x per day on its regional aircraft so maybe that will return.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBL View Post
Sorry, as of June 6, 2024 they do not, but thanks for your contribution to the broader discussion.
Your welcome just as helpful as "not having any numbers but willing to make a bet that that there is enough demand"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Almost all regular narrow bodies I've flown on that route have been full. What's going on with the downgauge?
yeah it sucks to see a major route like YEG-YVR have CRJs now but I guess the higher frequency is better for most people who don't care about aircraft type?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:37 AM
Community Guy

^I know that frequency is far more important to me than gauge, but it also speaks volumes about priorities and focus...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:58 AM

Quote:
yeah it sucks to see a major route like YEG-YVR have CRJs now but I guess the higher frequency is better for most people who don't care about aircraft type?
But is it actually a higher frequency? YEG-YVR is 8x daily (2 of those are on Jazz's CRJ's). Incidentally, YYC-YVR is 9x daily (1 of those are on Jazz's CRJ's). I don't think YVR-Asia flights have rebounded enough to warrant more than this amount of flights or seats.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 4:13 AM

Quote:
It drives me nuts when people try to bring a lifetime's worth of luggage on those cigar tubes. They should just ban carry-on luggage on those tiny things.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:29 AM
Scam Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I suspect the SFO situation is partly due to SFO not being such an amazing place to vacation these days.
Overwhelmingly majority of pax on this flight are connecting at SFO.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:01 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
suspect the SFO situation is partly due to SFO not being such an amazing place to vacation these days.
what makes it less amazing than it was 5 years ago? 10, 20 ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton