HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
As someone who likely spends a lot more time with Gen Z than most on this forum, I can tell you that they're having a moment with graffiti, or rather, as they like to call it, street art. The ones who are into that scene are really heavily into that scene.
This is where I wish Mural Arts was more efficient. They've done a lot of good but they don't create enough murals and too frequently hire outside of Philadelphia. Paul Carpenter's words, not mine.

Montreal does an annual Mural Festival where for 11 days artists create nonstop and they end up with a hundred new murals in that time span. Mural Arts almost puts too much thought into each mural, which means it's slow. They also focus too much energy outside of Center City. Too often they put a mural on the side of an abandoned row home in North Philly which is then covered up by new construction. Wynnewood in Miami or RiNo in Denver are other examples of neighborhood art explosions that Mural Arts could be a backbone for if they saw it as a priority.

https://www.timeout.com/montreal/new...eck-out-081121

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 2:48 PM

Great news for Temple and North Philadelphia.

Drexel University’s John Fry expected to become Temple’s next president, sources say

https://www.inquirer.com/education/j...-20240628.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
This is where I wish Mural Arts was more efficient. They've done a lot of good but they don't create enough murals and too frequently hire outside of Philadelphia. Paul Carpenter's words, not mine.

Montreal does an annual Mural Festival where for 11 days artists create nonstop and they end up with a hundred new murals in that time span. Mural Arts almost puts too much thought into each mural, which means it's slow. They also focus too much energy outside of Center City. Too often they put a mural on the side of an abandoned row home in North Philly which is then covered up by new construction. Wynnewood in Miami or RiNo in Denver are other examples of neighborhood art explosions that Mural Arts could be a backbone for if they saw it as a priority.

I mean, a lot of the stuff in and around CC is likely by the same few dozen disaffected yet relatively privileged teenagers living in and around Center City & West Philly. Also keep in mind that transgression and rebellion are strong motivators along with it being a creative outlet. Not sure hiring them is a viable option. That said, I tend to agree that Mural Arts should rethink some of their approach, and that the moment is well here to engage with those kids to channel some of this energy in a more productive way. If we're going to have graffiti and street art, can it at least be any good? I've seen some witty stuff around, but for the most part it's shit.

I tend to think it'll all burn out eventually as the next group of kids come of age and decide that street art is lame and that something else is the cool way to be original just like everyone else.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Drexel University’s John Fry expected to become Temple’s next president, sources say

Absolutely! As a Drexel alum, I'm not even sad about Fry leaving as Drexel is on a great path but Temple desperately needs help/leadership. A growing, innovative, prosperous Temple would be a huge boost for the entire city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:28 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Absolutely! As a Drexel alum, I'm not even sad about Fry leaving as Drexel is on a great path but Temple desperately needs help/leadership. A growing, innovative, prosperous Temple would be a huge boost for the entire city.
Same. Fry has done amazing things for Drexel, Temple is lucky to have him next. Fry is a huge asset to the growth and innovation of Philadelphia's universities.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Same. Fry has done amazing things for Drexel, Temple is lucky to have him next. Fry is a huge asset to the growth and innovation of Philadelphia's universities.
I hope he can get something done with U Arts.

But yeah, this guy is a Philly treasure. This is amazing news for Temple.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I hope he can get something done with U Arts.

But yeah, this guy is a Philly treasure. This is amazing news for Temple.
To think that he will have had his hand at or near the helm of Philadelphia's 3 most prominent universities is nothing short of amazing. What a legacy.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:

As a Temple alum (Fox '18), I will be overjoyed if John Fry takes over as president. Temple is an excellent school that has the potential to become even further nationally prominent with the right leader at the helm. His real estate development prowess could take Temple and North Philly to the next level. I hope that he would pursue these items while leading Temple:

-Improve Cecil B. Moore Ave with added retail options and better lighting. Penn and Drexel students had access to better commercial corridors than I did as an Owl (at least we had Draught Horse haha).

-Push for Temple to provide additional trash pickup and other beautification efforts in the neighborhood.

-Address some of the aging buildings on campus, such as J&H and Beury Hall.

-Provide all students with SEPTA passes and include it in the cost of tuition.

-Build the on-campus football stadium!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
As someone who likely spends a lot more time with Gen Z than most on this forum, I can tell you that they're having a moment with graffiti, or rather, as they like to call it, street art. The ones who are into that scene are really heavily into that scene.
If only it were art. The colorful stuff is less offensive, but most is just monochrome scrawl.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:

The anti-graffiti network and mural arts did a great job in changing the dynamic as I was growing up. Sad to see the serious backsliding.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:

First Fran Dunphy. Now this. They like to steal from U. City.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
First Fran Dunphy. Now this. They like to steal from U. City.
Huge step in the right direction for Temple. I am a Drexel alum (although graduated before his tenure), and I love what he has done there.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
As a Temple alum (Fox '18), I will be overjoyed if John Fry takes over as president. Temple is an excellent school that has the potential to become even further nationally prominent with the right leader at the helm. His real estate development prowess could take Temple and North Philly to the next level. I hope that he would pursue these items while leading Temple:

-Improve Cecil B. Moore Ave with added retail options and better lighting. Penn and Drexel students had access to better commercial corridors than I did as an Owl (at least we had Draught Horse haha).

-Push for Temple to provide additional trash pickup and other beautification efforts in the neighborhood.

-Address some of the aging buildings on campus, such as J&H and Beury Hall.

-Provide all students with SEPTA passes and include it in the cost of tuition.

-Build the on-campus football stadium!
I think he's going to realize that limiting kids off campus (especially west of 15th) is the way to go. Temple should focus on getting as many kids on campus as possible with new high rises with great views/amenities and full year leases. Then try and strike some streets from the grid to make a real campus. There's no reason 13th, Montgomery and Cecil can't be closed for a block or 2 and pedestrianized to make a cohesive campus. I'm pretty sure the stadium is dead forever but if there is any traction, it should be considered as a joint effort with the Philadelphia Union. The northeast corner of Broad and Girard would a great spot since Temple owns most of it. I think they could find a space in Callowhill as well which is better for Union but not for Temple. 8th and Girard would be kind of cool too if they reopened a regional rail stop at 9th and Girard.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I think he's going to realize that limiting kids off campus (especially west of 15th) is the way to go. Temple should focus on getting as many kids on campus as possible with new high rises with great views/amenities and full year leases. Then try and strike some streets from the grid to make a real campus. There's no reason 13th, Montgomery and Cecil can't be closed for a block or 2 and pedestrianized to make a cohesive campus. I'm pretty sure the stadium is dead forever but if there is any traction, it should be considered as a joint effort with the Philadelphia Union. The northeast corner of Broad and Girard would a great spot since Temple owns most of it. I think they could find a space in Callowhill as well which is better for Union but not for Temple. 8th and Girard would be kind of cool too if they reopened a regional rail stop at 9th and Girard.
Some good stuff here and from PhilliesPhan.

If Fry does what Fry does, Temple will make huge strides connecting it's campus right down to City Hall. Containing violence and creating a safer environment for students is of the utmost priority. To me, it's the biggest detractor the school has. I've had at least 3 family members come and look at that school and passed not because of the quality of the education or the curriculum, but because of the area it's in and the reputation for violence.

I haven't spent a lot of time around campus but the times I've been there at night, even Broad St is super sketchy. It's a damn shame because it's a great school. It's so frustrating to have something like the neighborhood ruin it as an option for prospective students. PhilliesPhan can (and hopefully will) comment on how he felt as a student there and what it was like to hang around there socially.

Fry figures out a way to expand their real estate and control violence and he will continue his remarkable legacy here in Philly and solidify his standing as one of the greats.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
If only it were art. The colorful stuff is less offensive, but most is just monochrome scrawl.
They legitimately think they're cutting edge artists, but it's honestly no different than the shit my friends pulled in 1990. One dude even got a whole feature in the inqy about his "street art" because he kept writing "irregular" in the most basic font all over the city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 12:32 PM

wasnt someone talking about graffitti on or around the highways recently???

https://www.penndot.pa.gov/RegionalO...px?newsid=9417

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 1:08 PM

John Fry Is a huge get for Temple. Great fit. I hope he puts out a very aggressive vision. Ive always wanted Temple to embrace being Uptown Philly, shedding its North Philly image.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
John Fry Is a huge get for Temple. Great fit. I hope he puts out a very aggressive vision. Ive always wanted Temple to embrace being Uptown Philly, shedding its North Philly image.
100% Increasing continuity and connectivity to the Center City core along North Broad should be the highest priority.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
John Fry Is a huge get for Temple. Great fit. I hope he puts out a very aggressive vision. Ive always wanted Temple to embrace being Uptown Philly, shedding its North image.
Assuming he follows through with Temple as he's done with Penn/University City as Exec. VP under Rodin in the 1990s and early 2000s, and Drexel/University City as President in the 2010s and 2020s, there should be a prominent statue of the guy outside of City Hall. He's really up there with folks like Edmund Bacon and Paul Levy when in comes to long-term impact on Philly.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Assuming he follows through with Temple as he's done with Penn/University City as Exec. VP under Rodin in the 1990s and early 2000s, and Drexel/University City as President in the 2010s and 2020s, there should be a prominent statue of the guy outside of City Hall. He's really up there with folks like Edmund Bacon and Paul Levy when in comes to long-term impact on Philly.
Edmund Bacon deserves a statue in effigy, and a place amongst some of the most mistaken and ill-advised Philadelphians of all time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development