HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 4:02 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
- I love LA a lot, but can confirm after many many visits, it is filthy.

- No way in hell Chicago is dirtier than New Orleans lol

- I don't have a third item to bring to attention.
lol I go to Chicago in the summer because I want to go to a cleaner, cooler city than St. Louis. St. Louis air in the summer is filthy in a way 99% other midwestern cities are not due to how much hotter it is, no airflow (unless theres a tornado), remaining chemical industry, topography...it's the New Orleans of the midwest, lol. Even had a gator pulled from a lake in the upper ozarks this week, lol.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:41 PM

I went to NYC once. I picked out black boogers for three days when I got back to Oregon.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I went to NYC once. I picked out black boogers for three days when I got back to Oregon.
NYC actually did pretty well/middle of the pack in terms of pollution and infrastructure rank, 193 and 229 respectively. Where it suffered was in terms of living conditions (1) and resident dissatisfaction (21).

Portland actually has worse pollution (134) and infrastructure (213), but better living conditions (127) and resident dissatisfaction scores (142).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
That made me think of my first trip to London in the mid-1990s. It didn't strike me as being a dirty or polluted city, but the whole time I was there that trip, there would be black soot on the Q-tips every morning I cleaned my ears. I figured they still burned coal or something. I don't know if that's still the case.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
That made me think of my first trip to London in the mid-1990s. It didn't strike me as being a dirty or polluted city, but the whole time I was there that trip, there would be black soot on the Q-tips every morning I cleaned my ears. I figured they still burned coal or something. I don't know if that's still the case.
Same thing happened to me, but it was when I cleaned my nostrils (sinus) every day I was there. It freaked me out just seeing how much of this black soot I cleaned out my nose just after walking around the city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:21 PM

I wouldn’t say that LA is filthy, yes there are definitely areas that can be dirty but generally speaking I’ve seen much worse in some of our American cities. One thing that happens is a lot of dust buildup on the sidewalks on some of the major thoroughfares during the dry season because there is no rain to wash it down. I don’t notice it much on the major retail streets because it’s not uncommon to see them washing down or sweeping to keep it at bay.

One other thing that’s an issue is we get a lot of dust buildup in our homes very quickly. I can’t confirm this but my mother grew up in Kansas City and she claims that wasn’t a problem there. I lived in Chicago for less than a year, back in 1990, I honestly don’t remember all that much about dust gathering in my apartment, and I lived on the 14th floor. I remember more of the weird insects coming through my windows screens in the evening and completely covered my ceiling during the summer. I had the shades up and the windows open and the lights on, never did that again.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I would say LA city is filthy both in terms of the amount of trash as well as overall maintenance of streets, sidewalks, parkways, signage, etc. Even the streets in the most affluent parts of the city, home to some of the most desirable and expensive real estate in the world, could use repaving and restriping. This mainly applies to major commercial streets and freeways though.

There's a palpable difference once you exit LA proper and enter any of the adjoining independent municipalities.

Time to build up (literally) the tax base in LA city. The passage of Measure HLA back in March should also help improve and help maintain the public realm.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:00 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
lol I go to Chicago in the summer because I want to go to a cleaner, cooler city than St. Louis. St. Louis air in the summer is filthy in a way 99% other midwestern cities are not due to how much hotter it is, no airflow (unless theres a tornado), remaining chemical industry, topography...it's the New Orleans of the midwest, lol. Even had a gator pulled from a lake in the upper ozarks this week, lol.
I stayed in Collinsville, IL two years ago in July while driving to Ohio. I thought the humidity in Cincinnati was bad, but the humidity I experienced near St. Louis was bested only by South Florida.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:42 AM
An Optimistic Realist

LA to me is dirty but slightly less dirty than NYC. There is a lot of trash near homeless tents underneath freeway overpasses and there are plenty of rougher areas even in the West Side. However, NYC is the only place I've been to where piles of trash are on the sidewalk. That's probably why the rats are as big as cats out there.

I used to live in the Inland Empire and San Bernardino does look rough.

Miami and a lot of the Florida cities were pretty clean, however they still had those ghetto type areas with no sidewalk and shit out in the grass like in Houston. In fact, those pics of Houston reminds me why I would still choose California over Texas despite both having flaws.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
In fact, those pics of Houston reminds me why I would still choose California over Texas despite both having flaws.
If you'd like to see what Houston ALSO looks like, here's a photo thread I posted awhile back.

Live Oaks of Houston https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...aks+of+Houston

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

“When you leave New York, you are astonished at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough.” — fran leibowitz

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
If you'd like to see what Houston ALSO looks like, here's a photo thread I posted awhile back.

Live Oaks of Houston https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...aks+of+Houston
For many years I lived in the neighborhoods shown above near Rice University, and I was fortunate enough to be able to drive/walk/bike on these streets every day. It is the best looking area of Houston. However, our cars were always dirty year-round, from a combination of soot and dirt from nearby freeways, and heavy doses of pollen from the oak trees in the spring and early summer. I never realized how bad it was until I moved away, and I now rarely have to wash my car even once a month except during winter. Driving anywhere in Houston includes driving though extensive areas of road repair and construction, adding additional dust, dirt, and mud to your vehicle. A car wash barely lasts as long as your first trip back home, or a night in the driveway. Houston has no street cleaning plan for most streets/roads, and I never saw a street sweeper in my neighborhood in the 12 years I lived there. Lawn people regularly just blow debris and clippings into the street, to be spread by traffic. To add to that, the streets in the last couple of pictures also have egrets nesting above, and the streets and sidewalks below look like gallons of stinky white paint have been poured over them. And all this is in one of Houston's premier neighborhoods. Houston has consistently lacked a decent, comprehensive, continuous public maintenance plan for decades, leaving a patchwork of good/bad maintenance in public and private spaces. Not uncommon to see trash and car parts spread along freeway shoulders for weeks at a time, and in some roads dead dogs may remain just as long. Driving up US 59 from the south, you can see clear differences in maintenance and infrastructure as you approach Houston, a big contrast transitioning between spotless Sugar Land to less maintained Houston.

Last edited by benp; Yesterday at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
LA to me is dirty but slightly less dirty than NYC. There is a lot of trash near homeless tents underneath freeway overpasses and there are plenty of rougher areas even in the West Side. However, NYC is the only place I've been to where piles of trash are on the sidewalk. That's probably why the rats are as big as cats out there.

I used to live in the Inland Empire and San Bernardino does look rough.

Miami and a lot of the Florida cities were pretty clean, however they still had those ghetto type areas with no sidewalk and shit out in the grass like in Houston. In fact, those pics of Houston reminds me why I would still choose California over Texas despite both having flaws.
I'm surprised that they ranked Miami at #20. The city does have its ghetto areas but most people I've heard from who have visited are always remarking how clean the city is.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:47 PM
E pluribus unum

Granted I only saw the touristy areas: Coral Gables, Little Havana, and Downtown along Brickell but Miami did look a lot cleaner than I thought it'd be.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions