HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The deal that makes Krispy Kreme so special is getting them fresh and warm off the conveyor belt… other than that, having them from a box hours later is kind of mid.
Exactly!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 1:04 AM

Did they at least give you the white paper hats for waiting in line?

It's good and all, but you guys covered it already.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:42 AM

Any word on the two new restaurants going in the old Basil's space?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
There is work happening inside the building almost everyday. I walk by frequently and peer through the window. The inside of the building is being completely redone; new electrical, new plumbing, new partition walls, etc. Might be a couple more months still until it opens up.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
There is work happening inside the building almost everyday. I walk by frequently and peer through the window. The inside of the building is being completely redone; new electrical, new plumbing, new partition walls, etc. Might be a couple more months still until it opens up.
It's interesting to see the two very different approaches to restaurants that seem to be emerging.

One is the traditional hospitality model -- do a gut reno with a prestige architect and/or interior design firm to create a distinctive and attractive destination. Passero on Corydon seemed to spend almost a year being gutted before they opened.

The other seems to be what the younger millennial and elder gen Zs seem to be doing (see Buvette, Crumb Queen, Must Be The Place, etc.), which is to basically reuse furniture from prior tenants, mix and match thrift furniture, etc. These places seem to be taking more of an approach of "open first aesthetics later"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
One of them is called Shirley's, run in part by Renee Girard. Their Instagram is here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:57 PM
surely you agree with me

it looks like they are making the old basil's building look like two unique buildings....the windows and facade treatment looks like it will be different on one side.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:33 PM

I went to the Original Pancake House on McGillivary recently, and boy was I disappointed. The prices are far higher than Denny's, yet the portions are about half of what you get at Denny's. I was left hungry, and will not be returning.

There is something to be said for a Grand Slam breakfast for less than $15.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:36 PM

While I am on the subject of fine dining in Winnipeg, has anyone notice how bad Tim Hortons coffee has become in the past decade? There is a reason for this.

A little over 10 years ago, McDonalds outbid Tim Hortons, and took away the coffee plant where they got their coffee beans from. So essentially, if one were to go to McDonalds at 6 AM and get a double-double, you are drinking the old Tim Hortons coffee. I am uncertain where Tim Hortons now imports their coffee, but it is not as good as McDonalds coffee.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 10:12 PM

Tim Horton's is trash, and not just their coffee. Even Wendy's has better coffee. I dare say almost any fast food chain has better coffee than Tim's.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:32 PM

Went to Sam’s on Ness and Ferry for a try. Had the Pork Schnitzel burger on a pretzel bun. $16 plus tax/tip for burger only. Wife got schnitzel and fries for $19 plus tax/tip. Definitely not worth the price tag though I wouldn’t say it was bad. Fries were Costco Cavendish, not even hand made. 6/10 on the tasty scale. It’s definitely an atypical menu I don’t think the value is there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDowntowner View Post
That spot on Albert was originally Albert St burgers and then the owner retired. Then White Star opened there and he moved to the bigger location on Kennedy when Kennedy St Grill closed. And that place wasn't anything special, it was ok but nothing to mourn at the end of the day.
Vicki's then opened on Albert(she made an amazing fat boy btw) and was only staffed by Vicky and that was unfortunately a pandemic casualty IIRC. Danook seems to be going pretty strong in that location now though.
White Star moved in part because of some serious landlord issues with the place on Albert. Not sure exactly how it worked out but Vicki seemed to get some of the most visible of them addressed early on.

Vicki was talking about closing long before the pandemic happened. From memory she did try to hire staff a couple of times but it just didn't work out. Similar story when White Star as in the spot. I think the biggest issue is the job needed a very reliable person for about three hours a day in the middle of the day. If you somehow had a gig working dinner at another place and could start at say 3 pm you could likely have made the Albert St job work out but it was definitely a niche they were trying to hit.

Also the Kennedy location was also home to Alexis Grill. I know the owners there retired and it was taken over by immigrants. I am not sure if that is where the Kennedy St Grill name was from or it is was a different version of the place. Going way back in time that location used to be a Sals.

Losing any one of these places isn't that big a deal but there seems to be a trend where places are closing downtown and not being replaced. Marcelo's in Hydro comes to mind and the full exit of Starbucks from downtown. Again nothing to morn there but there seem to constantly be fewer and fewer places to eat.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
While I am on the subject of fine dining in Winnipeg, has anyone notice how bad Tim Hortons coffee has become in the past decade? There is a reason for this.

A little over 10 years ago, McDonalds outbid Tim Hortons, and took away the coffee plant where they got their coffee beans from. So essentially, if one were to go to McDonalds at 6 AM and get a double-double, you are drinking the old Tim Hortons coffee. I am uncertain where Tim Hortons now imports their coffee, but it is not as good as McDonalds coffee.
not sure of your source, as Tim's is crap 100% agree but it never tasted like McD's. Tim dark roast is close to McD but it's definitely not the same

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Went to Sam’s on Ness and Ferry for a try. Had the Pork Schnitzel burger on a pretzel bun. $16 plus tax/tip for burger only. Wife got schnitzel and fries for $19 plus tax/tip. Definitely not worth the price tag though I wouldn’t say it was bad. Fries were Costco Cavendish, not even hand made. 6/10 on the tasty scale. It’s definitely an atypical menu I don’t think the value is there.
if your a schnitzel fan make the 1 hr drive to Jennifers in Seven Sisters, fantastic food and super clean outdoor eating. No substitutions allowed! very strict German owner, lol, but oh sooooo good. $15 for 2 piece, potatoe, salad

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
if your a schnitzel fan make the 1 hr drive to Jennifers in Seven Sisters, fantastic food and super clean outdoor eating. No substitutions allowed! very strict German owner, lol, but oh sooooo good. $15 for 2 piece, potatoe, salad
I love me some Bistro Dansk, steep but you get two meals worth reliably and it's so bloody good. Added bonus is I can far-boy waddle home after being stuffed since it's like a two block walk haha.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 3:05 PM

Sounds like Belle's Kitchen & Music Hall is going to replace the old Tony Roma's spot on Nairn.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmz View Post
Sounds like Belle's Kitchen & Music Hall is going to replace the old Tony Roma's spot on Nairn.
Could be interesting as from what I have found out the trademark for the name is owned by Princess Auto.

Looks like the Tallman grand kids are diversifying the holdings. Princess Auto also owns the hotdog trailer on the Panet Road store parking log.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Could be interesting as from what I have found out the trademark for the name is owned by Princess Auto.

Looks like the Tallman grand kids are diversifying the holdings. Princess Auto also owns the hotdog trailer on the Panet Road store parking log.
the family is also behind Empty Cup & TransCanada brewing

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan