HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 3:30 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
When and where is this going?!

Agreed. The loss of BIG retailers is what is a bummer. Mainly because it's so unlikely that a new big retailer will fill the space. Market East is it's own universe but there are some massive spaces that would be amazing spots to fill with large format retailers but never will. The horrible Shoppers World (former great Century 21) is vacant. Marshalls continues to sit empty despite their insistence that they had someone else lined up. The Wawa is empty and large.

The upside potential for lux and semi lux on Walnut continues to be there. We just need a but of momentum to get the ball rolling. The demographic is there. Arthaus, Laurel, Jessup, 2012 Chestnut, 115 s 19th, 1001 S Broad etc. That's a whole lot of fancy a$$ people walking around looking to spend some cash. That's without the bafflingly non-existent marketing for one of the otherwise premier high-end shopping districts in the North East.

It's moving but slowly.
Reformation is soon opening at 1723 Walnut.
This, Aritzia, Jordan World of Flight and Equinox opening together may be the momentum you mention to really get the ball rolling on Walnut/Chestnut. All super popular and cater to an upmarket crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
That's a subtle game changer. Philly lacks these well designed hotels that travelers and social media love, which attracts more people. My only worry is that it is pretty deep into fishtown
Agree. Immediately near the mixed-use energy of Frankford or Front would be an instant hit, but of course still a beautiful unique project. Philadelphia needs more of these.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jun 27, 2024 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 3:40 PM

Obviously retail is still in recovery mode and Philadelphia can stand to be more competitive on that front, so this comment/question is not intended to push back on the good dialogue and constructive criticism.

But with urban retail clearly being very challenged across the US, even in highest tier cities like NYC, LA and Chicago, how many major metro markets are continuing to see at least a stable flow of leasing of solid brands in urban, "high street" locations in a post-pandemic environment to the extent that vacancy appears to be kept in check? I have to think that's a very small number.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Obviously retail is still in recovery mode and Philadelphia can stand to be more competitive on that front, so this comment/question is not intended to push back on the good dialogue and constructive criticism.

But with urban retail clearly being very challenged across the US, even in highest tier cities like NYC, LA and Chicago, how many major metro markets are continuing to see at least a stable flow of leasing of solid brands in urban, "high street" locations in a post-pandemic environment to the extent that vacancy appears to be kept in check? I have to think that's a very small number.
I think things have changed permanently and there has to be some creative thinking applied to how to use street level retail locations in walkable neighborhoods. The (not so) funny thing is much of what is happening in CBDs has already happened in many working class neighborhoods- they all used to be filled with stores, butchers, etc. on their local mainstreets and many never recovered after the 60s and 70s. This doesn't mean they are completely vacant, but tenants and businesses that used to exist in these neighborhoods moved on and there has been varying success on replacing what used to be there in the heyday of pre-mall urban retail districts.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
That's a subtle game changer. Philly lacks these well designed hotels that travelers and social media love, which attracts more people. My only worry is that it is pretty deep into fishtown
NGL, I am so excited for the Fishtown hotel. Virtually every other metro area has leapfrogged Philly when it comes to amenity-rich hotels, and to be honest, it's a more glaring deficiency to me than our retail scene. There's a big market for pool-service weekend staycations, and it's utterly untapped here in Philly. Not all of us have friends at Piazza Alta.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
NGL, I am so excited for the Fishtown hotel. Virtually every other metro area has leapfrogged Philly when it comes to amenity-rich hotels, and to be honest, it's a more glaring deficiency to me than our retail scene. There's a big market for pool-service weekend staycations, and it's utterly untapped here in Philly. Not all of us have friends at Piazza Alta.
I agree. I'm very excited for this. Granted, I'm a 5 minute walk to this and it will likely become my neighborhood cocktail bar for lack of a better term, but it's gonna be amazing.

Personally, I don't think it needs to be on Frankford Avenue. I think travelers who would stay in a place like this want to experience a city or a neighborhood as if they live there in a way, especially when there is as much fun stuff to do as there is in Fishtown. Having it tucked away makes it even more special.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I agree. I'm very excited for this. Granted, I'm a 5 minute walk to this and it will likely become my neighborhood cocktail bar for lack of a better term, but it's gonna be amazing.

Personally, I don't think it needs to be on Frankford Avenue. I think travelers who would stay in a place like this want to experience a city or a neighborhood as if they live there in a way, especially when there is as much fun stuff to do as there is in Fishtown. Having it tucked away makes it even more special.
I agree the people staying here from other cities want to *Discover* fishtown for themselves lol. And instagram every moment of it. As if it’s not a very well known neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:17 PM
Fishtown & Country

6/27

5th and Callowhill - The Keystone

Sawtooth top started:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Wanting to stay in a neighborhood is exactly why AirBnb did so well. It looks awesome, will they sell day passes to the pool? Bella Vista/Queen Vista recently added Yowie at 2nd and South and Sonder at 5th and Bainbridge. I wonder how they're both doing? Old City could definitely use another boutique. Lokal is only 6 rooms. Gas Lamp Hotel is opening at Front and Arch soon but it can't be more than 10 rooms with how small the building is.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Have you been to Berlin or CDMX? I think Philly should lean into being a little edgy compared to its more sterile/homogenized peer cities. Why do we find murals by mural arts okay but not graff on highways? To me this “grit” seems like a huge draw for many new and young people and just a part of city life. Think about how many people romanticize the grit of other cities. Also If this is your only complaint while the city is on a major upswing I think claiming the city is regressing is a little overblown.
I don’t think that’s a good idea at all. Very few young people are drawn to graffiti. If you want “grit”, try living in downtown LA for a bit and then get back to me lol. Berlin has very little graffiti in its city center. It’s know to be immaculately clean. It’s known for “other kinds of edgy stuff”. We shouldn’t go back to the urban decay of the 70’s/80’s where every inch of NYC subway cars were defaced with graffiti. I’m sorry but that’s just crazy.

And yes I’ve noticed Philly has had a graffiti problem as well as of late. It’s all over the highways, acid graffiti on windows, and there’s a giant new one on the side of the Mormon owned building on Chestnut. Not sure why we need to lean in anymore lol

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jun 27, 2024 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Wanting to stay in a neighborhood is exactly why AirBnb did so well. It looks awesome, will they sell day passes to the pool? Bella Vista/Queen Vista recently added Yowie at 2nd and South and Sonder at 5th and Bainbridge. I wonder how they're both doing? Old City could definitely use another boutique. Lokal is only 6 rooms. Gas Lamp Hotel is opening at Front and Arch soon but it can't be more than 10 rooms with how small the building is.
Whatever happened to this proposal at 3rd & Walnut? A perfect spot for a moderate size luxury/boutique brand.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-3rd-walnut/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Whatever happened to this proposal at 3rd & Walnut? A perfect spot for a moderate size luxury/boutique brand.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-3rd-walnut/
Very few things are getting built lately. Everything under construction right now was able to secure financing before the crunch.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Highways are more a PennDOT/state issue, and they paint everything every few years, but if you go on street view on 76 it's always ebbed and flowed. You might just be focused on it if you're thinking about it. Sometimes as I get older I go through phases of noticing these things more.

But, I've lived here in the city for 12 continuous years and it's not any notably different now than before (besides the annoying political flyering on the Schuylkill River Trail). Compared to most cities (including Europe in my experience), actually, Philly has way less graffiti and tagging on private property thanks to CLIP working fast. I don't think anyone else immersed in daily urban living would find it out of the ordinary
I’m in NYC every week and have been trying to compare for the last few months or so. I’d say there’s a lot more here especially along the highways and if you look up at the sides of low rise buildings. Google street view Walnut now versus 5-10 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Old City just added Society Hill Hotel which turned out awesome. Really cool bar/restaurant and high end rooms. I have it on good authority that there is another going in on Arch and 2nd where the old Economy Restaurant Supply place was. Same deal there - Bar/Restaurant and boutique hotel, though that one is well behind the Society Hill Hotel.

The other new development is the Bourse, which is turning into a wedding venue/Hotel. That could be huge with a ton of rooms.

Bunch of stuff happening in Old City.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
6/27

5th and Callowhill - The Keystone

Sawtooth top started:

This turned out appallingly ugly.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This turned out appallingly ugly.
Haha. Yes. The jagged roof line should add the final flourish of horrible to this. I just wonder why they couldn't fit a few more different types of completely different and random cladding.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 10:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Haha. Yes. The jagged roof line should add the final flourish of horrible to this. I just wonder why they couldn't fit a few more different types of completely different and random cladding.
Looks exactly like the renderings... (sarcasm).

https://www.rising.realestate/7-stor...nd-callowhill/

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jun 27, 2024 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 11:44 PM

2300 Market from JFK

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 3:56 AM

Quote:
I live extremely close to Yowie, and it seems to have consistent occupancy. There's definitely a market there. But as cute as Yowie is, it's not luxe in the same way as the new Fishtown place looks like it may be.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:59 AM

As someone who likely spends a lot more time with Gen Z than most on this forum, I can tell you that they're having a moment with graffiti, or rather, as they like to call it, street art. The ones who are into that scene are really heavily into that scene.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I live extremely close to Yowie, and it seems to have consistent occupancy. There's definitely a market there. But as cute as Yowie is, it's not luxe in the same way as the new Fishtown place looks like it may be.
Have you been to the shop at Yowie? What am I missing, it was extremely underwhelming. Reminded me of a few of those types of shops in Old City ~2010, just random but nothing of interest. Just overpriced crap. Oh well, the hotel looks sweet. Nam Chon next door is excellent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development