HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Block 16 & 18

Two finalists for Block 16 & Block 18 are receiving community feedback. Both presentations include renderings.

https://www.austinedc.org/16and18

ARA Legacy:

https://austinedc-my.sharepoint.com/...entations&ga=1

Pleasant Hill Collaborative:

https://austinedc-my.sharepoint.com/...entations&ga=1
Urban Renewal Board makes pick for Council from two redevelopment plans for Blocks 16 and 18

Quote:
plan that looks to combine housing, retail, restaurants and assorted cultural facilities has received an important vote of support in the effort to redevelop two signature blocks of East Austin.

On Monday, the Urban Renewal Board voted 4-1 to recommend the Pleasant Hill Collaborative development plan to City Council as the preferred package for Blocks 16 and 18 on East 11th Street. That plan, which is composed of professionals from Servitas LLC and the Guadalupe Neighborhood Development Corporation, was one of two under consideration to remake the area that has been eyed for redevelopment for roughly three decades.

City Council is expected to consider the matter on July 18, which would lead to the start of entering into an exclusive negotiating agreement with PHC.

That plan would incorporate the Historic Victory Grill music venue as well as an unspecified African American cultural and heritage facility, multifamily housing, live/work townhomes, and assorted hospitality and cultural venues on the two blocks.
https://youtu.be/A4TLA4xcshA?si=eEIc64iaKf0DmhA5

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:32 PM

Is Austin trying to look like LA circa 1966 now?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:49 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I’m not opposed to it, but I don’t think it is exactly befitting of such a prominent and important site and purpose. The amenities are great, but the architecture neither evokes African American heritage nor is it aspirational in design.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I’m not opposed to it, but I don’t think it is exactly befitting of such a prominent and important site and purpose. The amenities are great, but the architecture neither evokes African American heritage nor is it aspirational in design.
I agree. I'm all in favor of having a special kind of development here, but this doesn't seem like that. The portion that would be Block 16 isn't bad, but looking at it together -- if you removed the murals from the walls, there isn't any other aspect of this that separates it from any other 5-over-1 development.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:11 PM

I mean, what more could you do architecturally for it to signify African American heritage? Only thing I can think of—have it designed by the largest African American architecture firm Moody Nolan. Either way, I’m sure it’d still give that 5-over-1 look. Victory Grill will remain and a cultural museum on site signifies more importance to the community than exterior design.

That being said, I think it looks great. Stands out more than most mid-rises here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin