HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Was in the city over the crazy hot weekend for an event. Getting very discouraged by the proliferation of graffiti on the highways and elsewhere. It's starting to look like the 70s.
Have you been to Berlin or CDMX? I think Philly should lean into being a little edgy compared to its more sterile/homogenized peer cities. Why do we find murals by mural arts okay but not graff on highways? To me this “grit” seems like a huge draw for many new and young people and just a part of city life. Think about how many people romanticize the grit of other cities. Also If this is your only complaint while the city is on a major upswing I think claiming the city is regressing is a little overblown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Was in the city over the crazy hot weekend for an event. Getting very discouraged by the proliferation of graffiti on the highways and elsewhere. It's starting to look like the 70s.
Highways are more a PennDOT/state issue, and they paint everything every few years, but if you go on street view on 76 it's always ebbed and flowed. You might just be focused on it if you're thinking about it. Sometimes as I get older I go through phases of noticing these things more.

But, I've lived here in the city for 12 continuous years and it's not any notably different now than before (besides the annoying political flyering on the Schuylkill River Trail). Compared to most cities (including Europe in my experience), actually, Philly has way less graffiti and tagging on private property thanks to CLIP working fast. I don't think anyone else immersed in daily urban living would find it out of the ordinary

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:24 PM

Graffiti is unfortunate but I can't really be concerned about it until the city is actually clean. Litter IMO is a much bigger issue, both in the city and next to highways. Weekly street sweeping needs to move past the pilot program and we need 10 times as many trashcans. PennDOT and the city need to do a better job fencing off any area that can attracts transient people and then trash. The 676/95/2nd/Callowhill interchanges are disgusting. People break into the fenced areas easily and leave trash everywhere. I've emailed Squilla, PennDot and no one will take responsibility. Squilla said it was PennDot, they said it was the city.

The entire new path and park area under 95 at the Girard/Aramingo interchange is disgusting. It was a good idea but they are so damn naive to think that people wouldn't be camping under there. There were 15 tents under there a week ago and trash covering every square inch.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 8:26 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Graffiti is unfortunate but I can't really be concerned about it until the city is actually clean. Litter IMO is a much bigger issue, both in the city and next to highways. Weekly street sweeping needs to move past the pilot program and we need 10 times as many trashcans. PennDOT and the city need to do a better job fencing off any area that can attracts transient people and then trash. The 676/95/2nd/Callowhill interchanges are disgusting. People break into the fenced areas easily and leave trash everywhere. I've emailed Squilla, PennDot and no one will take responsibility. Squilla said it was PennDot, they said it was the city.

The entire new path and park area under 95 at the Girard/Aramingo interchange is disgusting. It was a good idea but they are so damn naive to think that people wouldn't be camping under there. There were 15 tents under there a week ago and trash covering every square inch.
It's really a bummer how that spot has slowly gotten worse over time. It was actually pretty nice when it was first opened, and it still is pretty functional when crossing on a bike, though definitely not a care-free ride.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 9:38 PM

Center City Retail Occupancy Update

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ce...-20240626.html

.9% drop in total occupancy, which I find good considering all the recent closings on Walnut Street. From the article:

"There is also strong evidence to support the fact that Center City residents leave downtown for certain kinds of shopping trips or to access certain retailers, meaning that the spending power of Greater Center City is not being captured in full by Greater Center City businesses"

Personally, I'll spend big in the City on food & drink, but I leave Center City not only for luxury brands (which CC cannot realistically support given King of Prussia), but also for mid-tier brands which should absolutely be considering the City (e.g., All Saints, Zara, Banana Republic, Neiman Marcus, or Bloomingdales).

It's hard not to look elsewhere (or online) when your options up and down Walnut Street are increasingly banks, cell phone stores, or infrequent-purchases, ala Saatva and Brooklinen.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Have you been to Berlin or CDMX? I think Philly should lean into being a little edgy compared to its more sterile/homogenized peer cities. Why do we find murals by mural arts okay but not graff on highways? To me this “grit” seems like a huge draw for many new and young people and just a part of city life. Think about how many people romanticize the grit of other cities. Also If this is your only complaint while the city is on a major upswing I think claiming the city is regressing is a little overblown.
Yes on Berlin. There's a pretty obvious difference between art (or even "grit") and purposeful vandalism. The "logic" here is a bit strained and, no, this isn't my only complaint. A city can have simultaneous successes and failures.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Highways are more a PennDOT/state issue, and they paint everything every few years, but if you go on street view on 76 it's always ebbed and flowed. You might just be focused on it if you're thinking about it. Sometimes as I get older I go through phases of noticing these things more.

But, I've lived here in the city for 12 continuous years and it's not any notably different now than before (besides the annoying political flyering on the Schuylkill River Trail). Compared to most cities (including Europe in my experience), actually, Philly has way less graffiti and tagging on private property thanks to CLIP working fast. I don't think anyone else immersed in daily urban living would find it out of the ordinary
I've only been paying attention to this town for almost 60 years, and I have been to plenty of other cities and Europe, but by all means just dismiss the observation. This isn't a comparison with anywhere but here. Things have seriously regressed with respect to graffiti, particularly with respect to PennDOTs purview as I mentioned, after decades of progress.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Hopefully the city can walk and chew gum at the same time. Recognizing one problem doesn't negate another (nor does it dismiss any progress in other areas). We needn't have one dimensional thinking about this city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Currently visiting Philly….its astounding how much more lively center city is this June compared to my last trip in June 2023. Really feels like Philly of old. Excellent to see.
Welcome, and that's great to hear! Shore Exodus happened two weekends ago, so to me it feels quiet!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Anyone know when they’re gonna get started on that redo of Spring Garden street and the trail connection? The area is ready for it.
There are supposed to be some public information sessions in the coming weeks. It sounds like construction won't start for at least a few months, maybe not till early 2025.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 11:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ce...-20240626.html

.9% drop in total occupancy, which I find good considering all the recent closings on Walnut Street. From the article:

"There is also strong evidence to support the fact that Center City residents leave downtown for certain kinds of shopping trips or to access certain retailers, meaning that the spending power of Greater Center City is not being captured in full by Greater Center City businesses"

Personally, I'll spend big in the City on food & drink, but I leave Center City not only for luxury brands (which CC cannot realistically support given King of Prussia), but also for mid-tier brands which should absolutely be considering the City (e.g., All Saints, Zara, Banana Republic, Neiman Marcus, or Bloomingdales).

It's hard not to look elsewhere (or online) when your options up and down Walnut Street are increasingly banks, cell phone stores, or infrequent-purchases, ala Saatva and Brooklinen.
Inquirer and their titles... Center City’s retail occupancy stays pretty stable despite retailers closing stores in recent months. They could have stopped after stable.

The convo has been had, but yes, more mid-tier brands would help Walnut, Chestnut, Market East. There is also an absence of home stores since Williams Sonoma and West Elm closed. However, some popular retailers are on the way (Reformation, Aritzia, Air Jordan, Equinox Gym).

One correction, Neiman Marcus is a high-end department store (location in KoP), not a mid-tier brand, and they would never open in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:54 AM

Quote:
but by all means just dismiss the observation.
I think I will, actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Welcome, and that's great to hear! Shore Exodus happened two weekends ago, so to me it feels quiet!
Same here, especially compared to last month. Not to mention the heat keeping everyone inside

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:

street sweeping is not in the pilot program, that was like 2019. If you go on the site you can see all the zones that are included and its mostly in north, west and southwest philly and expanding out from there. They started in the dirtiest areas- which actually makes sense. Not sure if it made sense to start street sweeping in Chestnut Hill at the inception of the program.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Inquirer and their titles... Center City’s retail occupancy stays pretty stable despite retailers closing stores in recent months. They could have stopped after stable.

The convo has been had, but yes, more mid-tier brands would help Walnut, Chestnut, Market East. There is also an absence of home stores since Williams Sonoma and West Elm closed. However, some popular retailers are on the way (Reformation, Aritzia, Air Jordan, Equinox Gym).

One correction, Neiman Marcus is a high-end department store (location in KoP), not a mid-tier brand, and they would never open in Philadelphia.
again, I dont see how the title of the article changes the facts, it's not even a negative title. The numbers and people's eyes tell you there is more vacancy than there was before COVID- not sure what they are supposed to say there. Spin that into a positive? I guess.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Anyone know when they’re gonna get started on that redo of Spring Garden street and the trail connection? The area is ready for it.
The work has not been bid yet so we are still a ways out from seeing that start. I think there is a generic schedule on streets dept site under Projects. I would assume its going to bid out next year.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
again, I dont see how the title of the article changes the facts, it's not even a negative title. The numbers and people's eyes tell you there is more vacancy than there was before COVID- not sure what they are supposed to say there. Spin that into a positive? I guess.
Again, on que with a snarky reply. Do you have an alert when I mention the Inquirer? I share development news often, yet you respond to this...

I did not deny the affects of Covid or say "negative" or "positive". That headline was in reference to retail closures since Spring 2024, even though the vacancy rate remained unchanged.

I find Inquirer titles annoying, you don't, please just agree to disagree...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jun 27, 2024 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Again, on que with a snarky reply. Do you have an alert when I mention the Inquirer? I share development news often, yet you respond to this...

I did not deny the affects of Covid or say "negative" or "positive". That headline was in reference to retail closures since Spring 2024, even though the vacancy rate remained unchanged.

I find Inquirer titles annoying, you don't, please just agree to disagree...
yeah that is obvious, but your disdain for the publication has you making mountains out of molehills- even if the headlines were nefarious, no one cares- they dont have that much power. You think people are going to turn against the city over a headline like that? People arent quite that fickle.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 2:17 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
yeah that is obvious, but your disdain for the publication has you making mountains out of molehills- even if the headlines were nefarious, no one cares- they dont have that much power. You think people are going to turn against the city over a headline like that? People arent quite that fickle.
Great, no one cares, keep it moving... How about the new hotel in Fishtown?..

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:

When and where is this going?!

Agreed. The loss of BIG retailers is what is a bummer. Mainly because it's so unlikely that a new big retailer will fill the space. Market East is it's own universe but there are some massive spaces that would be amazing spots to fill with large format retailers but never will. The horrible Shoppers World (former great Century 21) is vacant. Marshalls continues to sit empty despite their insistence that they had someone else lined up. The Wawa is empty and large.

The upside potential for lux and semi lux on Walnut continues to be there. We just need a but of momentum to get the ball rolling. The demographic is there. Arthaus, Laurel, Jessup, 2012 Chestnut, 115 s 19th, 1001 S Broad etc. That's a whole lot of fancy a$$ people walking around looking to spend some cash. That's without the bafflingly non-existent marketing for one of the otherwise premier high-end shopping districts in the North East.

It's moving but slowly.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Great, no one cares, keep it moving... How about the new hotel in Fishtown?..
That's a subtle game changer. Philly lacks these well designed hotels that travelers and social media love, which attracts more people. My only worry is that it is pretty deep into fishtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development