HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 2:07 PM

Following Photos @ https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

April 2024

NCW BHS Testing

Phase 4 Sect K Slab preparation

May 2024

NCE gate b24 pbb May 2024

Phase 4 first steel beam 1 - May 13, 2024

Phase 4 area k structure

Phase 4 area k structure

June 2024

Apron phase 4 steel erection sequence

Phase 4 area m-n foundations June 2024

Photos @ https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 3:41 PM

Was thinking about the airport and the 2034 Olympics this morning, and had a question for those who've been in Utah for a LONG time, back in 2002 specifically. I'm curious if anyone knows what the international market was then for nonstop flights to SLC, I doubt there were any European flights. Did they add any specifically for the Olympics? What are the chances of temporary flights being added in 2034 to new markets for the next time we host the Games? Not sure if that's even a thing, but seems like it makes sense for airlines to offer a few new flights to help international tourists get here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:24 PM

2002 was a special year

SLC was certainly not an international destination in 2002, and there were lots of other things happening too. A bribery scandal bummed everyone. 9/11 was on everyone's minds still and flying was still sort of concerning so that was probably a factor. SLC as a winter destination was frankly a joke to much of the world. But, to a lot of world travelers changing planes in NYC, LA. or Chi was no big deal.

And was 2002 the first year winter olympics were held counter to summer?

Anyway I think 2002 drew North American visitors, not to say there weren't a lot of overseas folks here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 10:24 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Was thinking about the airport and the 2034 Olympics this morning, and had a question for those who've been in Utah for a LONG time, back in 2002 specifically. I'm curious if anyone knows what the international market was then for nonstop flights to SLC, I doubt there were any European flights. Did they add any specifically for the Olympics? What are the chances of temporary flights being added in 2034 to new markets for the next time we host the Games? Not sure if that's even a thing, but seems like it makes sense for airlines to offer a few new flights to help international tourists get here.
Salt Lake International had the International Terminal, which was completed in 1995. But in 2002, I think the only international airline serving SLC was AeroMexico and there were zero flights from SLC to countries outside Canada and Mexico.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Salt Lake International had the International Terminal, which was completed in 1995. But in 2002, I think the only international airline serving SLC was AeroMexico and there were zero flights from SLC to countries outside Canada and Mexico.
Similar to down here in PHX, I think SLC suffers from being too close to other major international hubs like Seattle, Denver, and San Fran to become a major destination. Although, I do think having the missionary demand helps some.

Other than MEX and CAN, there are 3 now correct? AMS, CDG, and LHR I believe.

Didn't SLC have Narita service for some period of time?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Similar to down here in PHX, I think SLC suffers from being too close to other major international hubs like Seattle, Denver, and San Fran to become a major destination. Although, I do think having the missionary demand helps some.

DL had directs to Narita for a year or two but they cancelled it.

Let alone direct flights, SLC also suffers from good connections to international airlines at various gateway airports. For example, if you're flying BA or AA via ORD, there aren't good connections from ORD for flights arriving from Europe in the later afternoon.

Similarly, if you're flying JL or CX to/from LAX or SFO, there isn't a single direct flight that connects to these OneWorld carriers from/to SLC. I don't know what AA and AS are thinking tbh. This limits the choices to Star Alliance and SkyTeam.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Intl flights from SLC include Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Cancun, Cabo, London, Amsterdam and Paris.

They had a Frankfurt flight for a couple years, but that ended this summer.

By 2030, I expect a few more Mexico and Canada destinations, Costa Rica, Panama, Seoul and one or two more Europe flights

Last edited by wrendog; Jun 26, 2024 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 1:51 AM

Aren't we supposed to get Lima and Santiago at some point or was that just speculation?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Aren't we supposed to get Lima and Santiago at some point or was that just speculation?
South america is pure speculation. Guessing just central america

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Intl flights from SLC include Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Cancun, Cabo, London, Amsterdam and Paris.

By 2030, I expect a few more Mexico and Canada destinations, Costa Rica, Panama, Seoul and one or two more Europe flights
Why was Frankfurt cut?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron View Post
DL had directs to Narita for a year or two but they cancelled it.

Let alone direct flights, SLC also suffers from good connections to international airlines at various gateway airports. For example, if you're flying BA or AA via ORD, there aren't good connections from ORD for flights arriving from Europe in the later afternoon.

Similarly, if you're flying JL or CX to/from LAX or SFO, there isn't a single direct flight that connects to these OneWorld carriers from/to SLC. I don't know what AA and AS are thinking tbh. This limits the choices to Star Alliance and SkyTeam.
Gotcha, that is a total pain. I have good luck with One World options out of PHX not that I travel international a ton but have always been able to find decent connections for travel to Asia and the Middle East. South America options from the Southwest US are pretty annoying right now, you almost always end up going all the way to Miami or Dallas to head basically due South. I was surprised that even LAX had very little One World options to SA.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Gotcha, that is a total pain. I have good luck with One World options out of PHX not that I travel international a ton but have always been able to find decent connections for travel to Asia and the Middle East. South America options from the Southwest US are pretty annoying right now, you almost always end up going all the way to Miami or Dallas to head basically due South. I was surprised that even LAX had very little One World options to SA.
AA's entire strategy the last 10 years has been to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

-They have failed to make a push to defend their territory in their major hubs. They have ceded major ground at ORD to United, LAX to UA and DL, PHX to WN, JFK/PHL to DL and UA, and even MIA to Spirit.

-They tried to utilize PHL as their primary Atlantic gateway thinking that they'd still be able to compete with UA and DL New York area hubs with a handful of additional routes from JFK. But PHL just doesn't have the same O/D demand that makes such a wide variety of destinations possible the way that DL has at JFK, and even more so UA has at EWR. When that failed, both JFK and PHL suffered route cuts. Spitting the destinations between the two airports means splitting the connecting network to support those flights between the two airports as well, and AA just don't have the robust network to support both.

-They enter new markets to try and compete with DL and UA, but don't seem to ever stay in the market long enough to allow the market to develop.

-They lack a strong Pacific gateway hub, especially since they ceded so much ground at LAX, which is already a difficult airport to compete in because of the saturation from international carriers.

-They attempted to utilize SEA as a transpacific gateway, announcing flights to LHR, PVG, and Bangalore (again...seemingly just to try and compete against the announced UA flights without any data to support the success of the flight), despite not having a large enough operation in SEA to connect enough passengers to fill the planes, and only offering flights to their own hubs. Instead, they tried to partner with Alaska to offer codeshares to fill the planes, meaning the profit of those already extremely expensive routes would have to be split with Alaska. Also seemingly ignoring the fact that DL has been trying to grow its trans-pacific presence in SEA for a long time and struggling because SEA just isn't a convenient hub for connections from most of the United States, and insufficient O/D demand to help support their flights, let alone a second major carrier.

-When their PHL/JFK/LGA strategy wasn't working, they partnered with JetBlue to try and skip the whole growth stage as well, full-well knowing it didn't have a chance in hell of surviving anti-trust scrutiny.

They're messy. They really don't have much of a strategy and it's painfully obvious.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Why was Frankfurt cut?
Because the loads are so terrible. They were struggling and that’s why they have to discontinue it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 12:57 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Not sure if it has already been mentioned here, but the specific date that the central tunnel along with gates B24, B26, B28, B30 & B32 will open is 10/22/24.

B21, B23, B25, B27, B29 are “officially” scheduled to open in October of 2025, but will actually open in mid-late summer of 2025

B31, B33, B34, B36 & B38 will Open in late October 2025

B35, B37 & B39-B48 will Open in October of 2026

Concourse C will begin construction when the yearly number has grown by roughly 7 million over the current number. With Deltas ongoing plan to make SLC its number 2 hub. I would expect the announcement to be made in late 2026 - early 2027… probably around the time that concourse B is completed. an announcement could come earlier, depending on a few things…. Announcement won’t come any later then 2027 though.

I strongly believe that concourse C will be completed prior to the 2034 Olympics.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

On the CityCast pod in February Bill Wyatt said there would be a flight to Incheon, South Korea which is the hub for Korean Air, a Delta Parter. This will be in 2025. He also said a hotel would be added at some point, but didn’t specify when.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 1:14 PM

One factor in the longer international routes is the runway size as it determines the weight of the plane and thereby the load.

Work has started to extend the main runway The EIS is in process and I think work is tentatively scheduled to begin sometime next year.

I have heard that once the runway is extended, there will be multiple international routes added & restored.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Not sure if it has already been mentioned here, but the specific date that the central tunnel along with gates B24, B26, B28, B30 & B32 will open is 10/22/24.

B21, B23, B25, B27, B29 are “officially” scheduled to open in October of 2025, but will actually open in mid-late summer of 2025

B31, B33, B34, B36 & B38 will Open in late October 2025

B35, B37 & B39-B48 will Open in October of 2026

Concourse C will begin construction when the yearly number has grown by roughly 7 million over the current number. With Deltas ongoing plan to make SLC its number 2 hub. I would expect the announcement to be made in late 2026 - early 2027… probably around the time that concourse B is completed. an announcement could come earlier, depending on a few things…. Announcement won’t come any later then 2027 though.

I strongly believe that concourse C will be completed prior to the 2034 Olympics.
Very well said! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am sure they will eventually started construction new concourse C in a few years later right before 2034 Olympics. I’ll keep watching the news. Keep us updated on the news at SLC airport.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I really don't see that happening, realistically. That would be growth of over 25% which is a really big number and definitely not at all feasible until runway expansion is done (Delta has also been cutting international service recently - LHR daily flights went to 5 weekly on a smaller aircraft).

Beyond just passenger numbers though, there is a large amount of infrastructure in the footprint of a theoretical Concourse C including Delta and SkyWest hangars and a fuel farm. I don't see any of those being moved prematurely without an imminent need.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:28 PM
Lahaina Strong

People vastly underestimate the capacity of A&B, SLC is going to be a very large airport when B is built out.

You lot can speculate all you want, the master plan has numbers. The numbers say even with exceptional growth C won't be needed until after 2052.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
People vastly underestimate the capacity of A&B, SLC is going to be a very large airport when B is built out.

You lot can speculate all you want, the master plan has numbers. The numbers say even with exceptional growth C won't be needed until after 2052.
Old airport had 82 gates (56 with jet bridges). Current airport will have 94 gates (all jet bridges)

The all jet bridge thing is much bigger, but not THAT many more total gates....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West