HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 9:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, this certainly makes up for the disappointment of game 7!!!

Certainly sounds like it’s time for that walk on the sands of Tofino.

How about it JT? Is it possible that a man such as you is capable of doing the honourable thing???

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 9:57 AM
Beer me Captain

I expect that Carney has just put his phone on call forward

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:46 AM

All those 84 or whatever candidates managed to get at least 2 votes. Except Felix-Antoine Hamel, who didn't get any votes. Did this guy not even vote, or voted for someone else? lol

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Leslie Church and the Liberals won. Was never in doubt. Tories are not winning inner city ridings, period
Ouchie.

I should have never changed my CPC +2 prediction from back when lio asked for predictions.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well, this certainly makes up for the disappointment of game 7!!!

Certainly sounds like it’s time for that walk on the sands of Tofino.

How about it JT? Is it possible that a man such as you is capable of doing the honourable thing???
I guess that depends on perspective. Yes, it was a disappointing game. Perhaps the game is what kept the Liberals voters home, who knows.

That said, I agree we need the walk along the beach in Tofino. Perhaps even an extended stay to provide some time for house hunting.

A place like this would be fitting for a ex-PM:
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-tofino-tofino

There is still time for a new leader but the window is narrowing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Ouchie.

I should have never changed my CPC +2 prediction from back when lio asked for predictions.
First answer is sometimes the best answer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:45 PM

9 million Canadians were food insecure in 2022.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...ults-1.7186033

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
9 million Canadians were food insecure in 2022.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...ults-1.7186033
This Trudeau's fault too? My tire got a flat tire on the weekend. Damn Trudeau letting the streets get filled with nails.

I am behind the checkout with these food insecure people. As they fill their cart with expensive junk food and order an Uber the 1km home on their Iphone 15.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:56 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
There is still time for a new leader but the window is narrowing.
I think last night shut that window hard - at least for anyone competent.

Losing St-Paul effectively means 2025 is a guaranteed lose. Even if Gretzky became leader of the LPC, we are heading for a CPC majority. Perhaps not as bad as 2011 (since the NDP are likely in for a bigger whupping), but anyone replacing JT at this juncture will just be a second coming of Campbell.

Better for JT to burn this baby to the ground, set up an interim leader in 2025/26 (Freeland??) and then have someone really competent take the head in 2027 with 2 years to establish their brand and capitalize on the souring of the CPC.

Just my 2 cents ...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:58 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I am behind the checkout with these food insecure people. As they fill their cart with expensive junk food and order an Uber the 1km home on their Iphone 15.
And don't forget their Disney+!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
This Trudeau's fault too? My tire got a flat tire on the weekend. Damn Trudeau letting the streets get filled with nails.

Genuinely curious. Do you believe all these people are lying and that all that statisticians are making all this up?

Also, you do get that your neighbourhood may not be reflective of national reality right?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I think last night shut that window hard - at least for anyone competent.

Losing St-Paul effectively means 2025 is a guaranteed lose. Even if Gretzky became leader of the LPC, we are heading for a CPC majority. Perhaps not as bad as 2011 (since the NDP are likely in for a bigger whupping), but anyone replacing JT at this juncture will just be a second coming of Campbell.

Better for JT to burn this baby to the ground, set up an interim leader in 2025/26 (Freeland??) and then have someone really competent take the head in 2027 with 2 years to establish their brand and capitalize on the souring of the CPC.

Just my 2 cents ...
Best option for the Liberals is to gain enough support to deny PP a majority. Gaining a majority or even a Liberal minority is unlikely.

PP has demonstrated he does not play nice with others. A minority PP government will highlight his inability to government and setup the Liberals for a majority within a year or two after the conservatives government falls.

I agree a Liberal majority is unlikely. Unfortunate, but that is where we are.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Genuinely curious. Do you believe all these people are lying and that all that statisticians are making all this up?

Also, you do get that your neighbourhood may not be reflective of national reality right?
I think people got used to the government checks and when inflation hit couldn't adjust. The biggest complainers are better off from 2015 but like anyone who gets a raise adjusted their lifestyle.

I am shopping in one of the worst neighbourhoods in the country. Yes of course people are struggling from inflation. We had a pandemic that wiped out 3 months of output and we paid everybody anyway. What other outcome is possible? US is borrowing to keep things juiced but they have US dollar. Every country from far right UK to left Germany to leftist European and far left NZ governments have the same issues.

I'm not too sad they get blamed for everything as they need to go but the hyperbole how Canada is some hellscape is over the top.

What made St Pauls flip? I don't think it's food insecurity.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:29 PM

These are the definitions for food insecurity:

Quote:
Statistics Canada measures food insecurity across three categories:

Marginal: Those who worry about running out of food or having a limited selection of food because they can't afford it.

Moderate: Those who had to compromise on the quality and/or quantity of their food because they can't afford otherwise.

Severe: Those who reported skipping meals, reducing how much they ate or going days without food because they can't afford otherwise.
Is it really that unbelievable that the current economic situation has people worried or actually skipping a meal?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:

Is it really that unbelievable that the current economic situation has people worried or actually skipping a meal?
Some people just don’t care. They see a person with nice clean clothes and they say shit like “if they can afford that they can afford food” or “don’t they have any savings” some people, especially people with money, really are that out of touch with the reality some people face.

They don’t understand that most people are one missed pay check away from poverty.

Quote:

Of course not. You can put me int he moderate category myself though my definion of afford is won't let me save 25% of my net income. Absolutely you are a more empathetic person than me but I don't think empathy gets people fed either.

My point is this is the Federal Politics thread so is that 9 million an indictment of the Trudeau Government? At the same time our Conservative Premiers bear no responsiblity? What policy Polievre preposes makes any difference to that number? Will an austerity budget restore affordability for the food insecure (Even if I agree that is what is needed)

Quote:

While I am quite sympathetic to anyone who is struggling to put food on the table. The numbers are to high and needed to come down. That said, there is also some selective reporting going on here to help build a certain narrative.

The poverty level in Canada has progressively been going down over the last decade.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/topics-start/poverty

What I also find weird, is BC is doing better than other provinces, followed by Quebec. Given the reputation BC has for being an expensive place to live that is just weird.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/o1/en/plus...ood-insecurity

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
While I am quite sympathetic to anyone who is struggling to put food on the table. The numbers are to high and needed to come down. That said, there is also some selective reporting going on here to help build a certain narrative.

The poverty level in Canada has progressively been going down over the last decade.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/topics-start/poverty

What I also find weird, is BC is doing better than other provinces, followed by Quebec. Given the reputation BC has for being an expensive place to live that is just weird.

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/o1/en/plus...ood-insecurity
lol. Food bank lines have never been longer, rents doubled in half a decade, stagnant wages, soaring food prices, tent cities everywhere,

liberals. “poverty is going down yay”!

It’s just like flat earthers.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:59 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Best option for the Liberals is to gain enough support to deny PP a majority. Gaining a majority or even a Liberal minority is unlikely.
Pretty bold prediction for a party that just lost a seat that they've held since 1993 and was considered one of the safest red seats in the land.

Right now, the LPC, and anyone who supports Team Red, should not be focusing on denying the CPC a majority, that outcome is out of their hands (only the CPC can lose that now). Rather, they should be focusing on saving some of the furniture where they can. Hopefully they can avoid a 2011 demotion to #3. While a 1993 style Campbell is always a possibility, given that the NDP are also appearing to implode, I think 2011 is the bottom of where they could end up.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:

PP has demonstrated he does not play nice with others. A minority PP government will highlight his inability to government and setup the Liberals for a majority within a year or two after the conservatives government falls.

I agree a Liberal majority is unlikely. Unfortunate, but that is where we are.
At the moment, it would seem a Conservative majority is the most likely outcome. A Conservative minority would need the support of the Bloc, which strikes me as something to avoid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada