HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 8:10 PM
Modulator

Well, let's look at the other side of the coin. The arena would have been well on it's way to construction if it weren't for Tempe voters. So can't place 100% of the blame on Coyotes ownership.

It's just been a mess all around.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I'm done w/ this ownership group and I really hope he gets outbid.

Echoing what apocalyptic0n3 mentioned, this would be the end of the road for Muruello. At that point, I hope he takes his $1B and goes away. Let a new ownership group try and bring hockey back to the Valley and hopefully they are able to secure the rights from Meruelo. But I have a feeling his ego will prevent this from happening.
Nothing will get done with Meruelo. Even if he wins the auction, no one really wants to work with him. The only way we get hockey back is if Meruelo moves on, but I doubt that happens for awhile. The NHL has a squatter on its expansion rights, time for Bettman to move him along.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Well, let's look at the other side of the coin. The arena would have been well on it's way to construction if it weren't for Tempe voters. So can't place 100% of the blame on Coyotes ownership.

It's just been a mess all around.
I agree with you Crested on the Tempe issue. By the way how's the progress going for the city on that existing landfill ?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 10:53 PM

Tempe should just give it to Cludesac so it can be the world's first car free landfill and the NYT can gloat...

I think that land off the 101 would be better suited for an animal shelter than an arena.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:35 PM

Auction canceled for north Phoenix land eyed by the Coyotes

You can’t make this stuff up lol

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...s/74173772007/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Actually, they have wait for special applicant needs to obtain a permit before auction should be held. They have on hold until they are ready to sell the lands.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:55 PM
Modulator

Yea, this is ridiculous. How was this unknown that it was needed up until nearly the last minute before the auction? The Coyotes are making me a strong believer in voodoo curses

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:01 PM

It wasn't unknown. It was zoned for commercial with enough height but not for an arena. I'm told the Coyotes were hoping to ask after they got the land or sue if the City tried to deny them the arena. I think the Land Dept decided there was too much risk with the CoP not looking like they were ready to play ball, or puck, so to speak.

The whole thing makes the Coyotes look pretty unsophisticated when a sitting city councilmember has to recommend you hire a zoning attorney...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:42 PM

I might be wrong but how can one apply for a special use permit if they don't own the land?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:07 PM

It sounds like the Land Dept. all but admitted that the Coyotes are going to win the auction by requiring this.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:24 PM

Well I think the hospitals went to Scottsdale to get their plans approved prior to bidding on the land by the 101...so I don't think this is any different?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 7:45 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 9:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
With an unlabeled link, I thought you were going to rickroll me. It turns out this is a pretty good update on the dismal situation with the Coyotes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
One thing I gathered from the video is that the AZ State Land Dept. stated that “ASLD has determined that it is in the best interest of the Trust to cancel the auction and reorder the steps. ASLD recently confirmed that the proposed arena use will require a Special Use Permit, and as a result, we are requesting that the applicant file for and receive a Special Use Permit prior to the auction.”

Then then go on to say “It is not uncommon for ASLD to require applicants to secure zoning/use permits prior to auction.” - Huh? OK, so if is is not uncommon, why was it just recently confirmed and not known to be required in advance of the auction instead of a week before it?

Someone at ASLD dropped the ball purposely.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 9:09 PM
Skyriser

Yup. Telling the Coyotes they needed to get a zoning attorney was rather spurious--you can't rezone land you don't own.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Yup. Telling the Coyotes they needed to get a zoning attorney was rather spurious--you can't rezone land you don't own.
Yes you can, well, kind of. It is very typical for developers to rezone a property they are under contract to buy as a condition of closing. If the rezoning is approved, then they close on the property. If not, then they walk away from the purchase. I don't exactly/technically know how it works, but I imagine the existing land owner allows or approves the process somehow. In the Coyotes arena site case, they should have had a zoning attorney involved to work them through the entire process and get the Special Use Permit, if that was what is needed. Whether or not State Land is purposefully trying to hinder the Coyotes ownership, who knows. I hope so and hope Meruelo is never heard from again. New ownership needs to bring back the Coyotes some day.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:18 PM

Yup that is what's happening with the development on the corner of Apache and Rural....the developer is in contract to buy the old vine and gas station and if they can't get something approved they plan to walk away from the deal.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:31 PM

As others have already mentioned, you can indeed re-zone land you do not own. In fact, many (if not most) re-zoning cases are initiated by a developer who is interested in buying the land, not by the person/entity who currently owns it. The current owner just needs to sign something authorizing the potential buyer to re-zone the land on their behalf (and the purchase or ground lease contracts will typically have a contingency that says the transaction won't proceed if the potential buyer can't get their desired entitlements).

The above still applies when you're working with ASLD on a sale or ground lease, it's just that ASLD is very slow and has a lot more convoluted process (as you would expect dealing with any government entity). A smart developer hires a good consultant and/or lawyer who knows the ASLD folks and works with them prior to the auction. During the pre-auction process, you would also do your typical due diligence, which would include figuring out your current zoning and what (if anything) needs to be re-zoned. Not sure who dropped the ball here, but the fact that this zoning issue only came up at the 11th hour certainly reflects poorly on someone...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 10:07 PM
Skyriser

I should have said "don't have an interest in," sorry. The ASLD never made it seem like that was their intention to form some sort of partnership/escrow tho.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:30 AM

Hell yes my prayers have been answered!!

Meruelo is out! Hopefully Ishbia is interested

https://x.com/craigsmorgan/status/18...-9xto6gli9jVMg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest