HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 2:51 AM

Src: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...rings-concepts

Video Link

The first station, the last station, the route, the in-between stations, the stations names. Learn it, know it, live it. Anything else is transit fantasy.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Dunno about that. With the current system, 2/3 trains go to Surrey and 1/3 to Production Way. Split them evenly between Newton and Langley, that’s a 16% reduction for Langley and potentially 50% for Newton (as opposed to a separate line).

A PW spur has merit, but only to increase capacity to Surrey - it’ll need all the capacity it can get.
easy solve. we will build a 3rd track, for peak hour peak direction express service! then resume regular service once onto the 2 track system.

(thatll never happen. )

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 9:26 AM

I believe Translink has said that when this extension begins service not all Surrey bound trains will continue to Langley. I presume the Expo Line will operate 1/3 to Production Way, 1/3 to King George, and 1/3 to Langley City Centre. This would allow the King George short turn trains available for a KGB line.

That’s assuming they stick with operations to Production Way from the Expo Line. If there is a need to maximize capacity to Surrey the Lougheed to Columbia section could be operated by the Millennium Line branched at Lougheed. This would require a rebuilt Columbia Station with a dedicated platform.

Last edited by madog222; Jun 23, 2024 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Stating the obvious has been a crime since 2020.

I was being sarcastic. It won't be me raking you over the coals . I mostly lurk these days anyways.

In a fantasy post I did a long time ago, this was something that I suggested. To make this work gracefully, I would ideally like to see Surrey Central expand its platforms in the following configuration (essentially just adding another island platform) since it already uses an island platform set up:

| ▯ | | ▯ |

The lines are rails, the rectangles are platforms.

Fundamentally it matters not whether or not your splitting the expo line into a third branch or adding a line since the trains would be using the same tracks and platforms. But certain targeted station or quad tracking upgrades can make an additional line from Newton to Guildford more cohesive with the current system.

I'm also not sure if upgrading Surrey Central station in such a configuration would be realistic in relation to the other infrastructure around. But someone that objectively knows better can certainly expand on this discussion in the fantasy thread .
How will it be configured? Is each side gonna be for lines heading in the same direction? I'm imagining on your diagram the left platforms being for trains heading out from Waterfront going to either Newton or Langley.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I believe Translink has said that when this extension begins service not all Surrey bound trains will continue to Langley. I presume the Expo Line will operate 1/3 to Production Way, 1/3 to King George, and 1/3 to Langley City Centre. This would allow the King George short turn trains available for a KGB line.
I can't find it right now but I seem to remember some of the trains would only travel as far as one of the Fleetwood area stations (aka beyond King George Station).

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I can't find it right now but I seem to remember some of the trains would only travel as far as one of the Fleetwood area stations (aka beyond King George Station).
140th Street.

There will be a pocket track build beyond the station for the short-turn trains.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
... If there is a need to maximize capacity to Surrey the Lougheed to Columbia section could be operated by the Millennium Line branched at Lougheed. This would require a rebuilt Columbia Station with a dedicated platform.
Guessing they'll have the 1/3rd problem in reverse once the Port Coq extension opens - it's a very inconvenient branch.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:

That’s assuming they stick with operations to Production Way from the Expo Line. If there is a need to maximize capacity to Surrey the Lougheed to Columbia section could be operated by the Millennium Line branched at Lougheed. This would require a rebuilt Columbia Station with a dedicated platform.
Is there and will there really that much demand to warrant 1/3 of Expo Line service along the Production Way spur? Assuming the growth around the catchment areas of Braid and Sapperton is insignificant, both currently sitting at 40th and 44th in terms of usage on the 2023 report and the latter having no direct bus connections, then perhaps the service could be more like 2/5 to King George and Langley each and the remaining 1/5 along to Production Way.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Is there and will there really that much demand to warrant 1/3 of Expo Line service along the Production Way spur? Assuming the growth around the catchment areas of Braid and Sapperton is insignificant, both currently sitting at 40th and 44th in terms of usage on the 2023 report and the latter having no direct bus connections, then perhaps the service could be more like 2/5 to King George and Langley each and the remaining 1/5 along to Production Way.
Sapperton is where RCH is, plus the Brewery District. I doubt they'll want to lower Skytrain access to the area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Just go to Lougheed Station platform 1 during peak hours and see. Even with 12min frequency (or more like 20min if you include the delays), there is enough people to fill a 4-car train to standing room only.

No one want to go from Coquitlam to Metrotown or New Westminster via Commercial-Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:05 AM

In one of TransLink's plans for the future, there was the idea of running some Expo Line trains during rush hour from Waterfront to Lougheed, then turning them into Millennium Line trains running down to Arbutus, and then back to Waterfront. The idea being to bolster service and capacity along the two busiest sections of both lines. Those trains would be going through Sapperton and Braid.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
In one of TransLink's plans for the future, there was the idea of running some Expo Line trains during rush hour from Waterfront to Lougheed, then turning them into Millennium Line trains running down to Arbutus, and then back to Waterfront. The idea being to bolster service and capacity along the two busiest sections of both lines. Those trains would be going through Sapperton and Braid.
Sounds like the old Millennium Line configuration before Evergreen, just with the Broadway extension slapped on there

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 3:28 PM

My understanding of where things are right now...

Summary to date of information from the Surrey Langley Skytrain Project:

Project Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ngley-skytrain

The Surrey Langley SkyTrain project is being delivered through three separate contracts:

1. Design, build and finance the elevated guideway
2. Design and build eight new stations
3. Design and build the systems and trackwork

1. Design, build and finance the elevated guideway:

Preferred proponent named for Surrey Langley SkyTrain to begin early works
March 7, 2024: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024MOTI0027-000307

"Following a competitive procurement process, the Province has selected a preferred proponent team to design, build and finance the elevated guideway and associated roadworks, utilities and active transportation elements of the Surrey Langley SkyTrain.

The preferred proponent team selected to enter final contract negotiations with the Province is SkyLink Guideway Partners (SLGP), which is comprised of Dragados Canada, Inc., Ledcor Investments Inc., Ledcor Mining Ltd. and SYSTRA International Bridge Technologies Inc.

Proponent: Dragados Canada, Inc., Ledcor Investments Inc.
Design-build contractor: Dragados Canada, Inc., Ledcor Mining Ltd.
Design contractor: SYSTRA International Bridge Technologies Inc."

2. Design and build eight new stations for the project:

Preferred proponent chosen for Surrey Langley SkyTrain station construction
April 12, 2024: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024MOTI0049-000546

"Plans for Surrey Langley SkyTrain have taken another step forward with the selection of a preferred proponent team to design and build eight new stations for the project, including cycling and walking paths around the new stations.

Following a competitive procurement process, the Province has chosen South Fraser Station Partners to enter into contract negotiations. The South Fraser Station Partners team is comprised of:

Aecon Constructors, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc.;
Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc.;
Pomerleau BC Inc.; and
AECOM Canada Ltd."

3. Design and build the systems and trackwork:

Preferred proponent selected for Surrey Langley SkyTrain systems, trackwork
April 30th, 2024: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024MOTI0058-000654

"The Province is moving the Surrey Langley SkyTrain project forward with the selection of a preferred proponent team to design and build the systems and trackwork.

Following a competitive procurement process, the Province has selected Transit Integrators BC to enter into final contract negotiations. The Transit Integrators BC team is comprised of:

AtkinsRéalis Major Projects Inc.
AtkinsRéalis Canada Inc.
Western Pacific Enterprises Ltd."

Latest news to date:

Station design engagement begins for Surrey Langley SkyTrain
June 4, 2024: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024MOTI0071-000860

The Surrey Langley SkyTrain project is looking for public feedback on designs for the eight stations that will make up the first major transit project south of the Fraser River in 30 years.

Beginning June 18, 2024, the public is invited to preview and provide input on the design of the eight new SkyTrain stations, including station entrances and adjacent plazas. The public engagement will run until June 30, 2024, and includes four in-person open houses in Surrey and Langley, and a virtual information session. ...

Major construction on the Surrey Langley SkyTrain extension is expected to begin this year."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Par for the course - Olympic Village Station, for example, is nowhere near Olympic Village.
It's the 2nd closest and will be the 3rd when the Arbutus extension opens.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:25 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
It's the 2nd closest and will be the 3rd when the Arbutus extension opens.
Hey, it's not like you can use the Olympics as cover for a much needed transit project and not name a station accordingly. I'm surprised the entire line isn't named after the Olympics.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Hey, it's not like you can use the Olympics as cover for a much needed transit project and not name a station accordingly. I'm surprised the entire line isn't named after the Olympics.
If I recall correctly, that was one of the names considered.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
... I'm surprised the entire line isn't named after the Olympics.
It almost was. "Canada Line" was a last-minute requirement from the Harper administration (which also tried to claim the North Pole for Canada and emphasize our "victory" in 1812; nationalism, eh?).

Probably wouldn't have changed anything, though. Ten Costco 'dogs says we'd've had an Olympic Village Station on the Olympic Line, because the Department of Redundancy Department DGAF.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Probably wouldn't have changed anything, though. Ten Costco 'dogs says we'd've had an Olympic Village Station on the Olympic Line, because the Department of Redundancy Department DGAF.
100% we would have. and i am glad we do. im disappointed the CoV didnt pay for naming rights to call it "olympic village."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:01 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
100% we would have. and i am glad we do. im disappointed the CoV didnt pay for naming rights to call it "olympic village."
I'd have preferred the Gold line, in hopes of Canada's first ever gold medal at home.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Confirms what we previously deduced:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skyt...ocation-surrey

37-acre site in Surrey acquired for SkyTrain operations and maintenance centre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure