HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I look forward to seeing the end result in person.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:21 PM

Is it just me, or does the work on the foundations for the first FQ building seem to be progressing at a painfully slow pace.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Is it just me, or does the work on the foundations for the first FQ building seem to be progressing at a painfully slow pace.
Foundations are always the slowest, then picks up speed. It’s like the construction equivalent of prep work before you start painting Steepleview just now sprouting after a couple months of foundation work.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Foundations are always the slowest, then picks up speed. It’s like the construction equivalent of prep work before you start painting Steepleview just now sprouting after a couple months of foundation work.
Yeah, at least there is study progress every day, no matter what the pace that's saying a lot given the 15+ years of waiting on the site.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 8:15 PM

I can’t see them wanting to drive piles when occupied, so hopefully start construction on second building before the first one is complete

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It’s definitely not just you. But considering it’s a group from Rothesay, NB with absolutely zero experience building high rises or mid rises, and not an experienced group from Toronto, Vancouver, or even Moncton… it’s not exactly surprising.

The whole project has absolutely been moving at a snail’s pace, but it’s still the most impressive project we have in our development pipeline… for now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:37 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Pictures of the Steepleview apartments for those of us not in Saint John would be cool

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Pictures of the Steepleview apartments for those of us not in Saint John would be cool
I second this.....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:40 PM

Deleted

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
It’s definitely not just you. But considering it’s a group from Rothesay, NB with absolutely zero experience building high rises or mid rises, and not an experienced group from Toronto, Vancouver, or even Moncton… it’s not exactly surprising.

The whole project has absolutely been moving at a snail’s pace, but it’s still the most impressive project we have in our development pipeline… for now.
It’s being built by Iron Maple, who is building the Cunard Block in Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
It’s being built by Iron Maple, who is building the Cunard Block in Halifax.
The Fundy Harbour Group, out of Rothesay, NB, is the developer behind the project, right? And correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they have any experience building any mid rises or high rises.

More experienced developers from bigger cities likely could have got the ball rolling a lot quicker. But like I said before, it remains the most impressive project in our development pipeline, for now.

Hopefully it’s actually a “catalytic project” as the city loves to call things, and leads to more projects of similar scope.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:43 PM

Quote:
The Fundy Harbour Group, out of Rothesay, NB, is the developer behind the project, right? And correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they have any experience building any mid rises or high rises.

More experienced developers from bigger cities likely could have got the ball rolling a lot quicker. But like I said before, it remains the most impressive project in our development pipeline, for now.

Hopefully it’s actually a “catalytic project” as the city loves to call things, and leads to more projects of similar scope.
Fundy Harbour Group is the developer, but Iron Maple partnered up with them to build the buildings.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Fundy Harbour Group is the developer, but Iron Maple partnered up with them to build the buildings.
yes, I understand that.

And I’m just pointing out that they are not developers from a major city, or even Moncton. They’re based out of Rothesay, and have no experience building mid rises and high rises. So that might be part of the reason for the snails pace of the buildings going up.

Who knows why it’s taking them this long to go up, but inexperience or lack of funding on the part of the developers could be part of it. Hopefully we see some progress soon, and don’t see the project scaled back.

Who knows, maybe we’ll see it scaled up when they get around to building the high rise!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
What do you mean “partnered up”? My understanding is that Iron Maple are doing some construction management, but have not taken on the project as a general contractor, or even a principal contractor.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
What do you mean “partnered up”? My understanding is that Iron Maple are doing some construction management, but have not taken on the project as a general contractor, or even a principal contractor.
I mean they’ve teamed up with/are working with the Fundy Harbour Group on this project. Sorry if my choice of word was confusing or not correct.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jun 22, 2024 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:55 PM

does anyone know the height on any of these buildings in meters?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
does anyone know the height on any of these buildings in meters?
Low of 26m and high of 70m

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:29 PM

stumbled upon a page way back from I think 2012, where cdnguys suggested the name "south market wharf" as a better, more historical name than "Fundy Quay."

It's not even funny how much better than name would have been.

A long with the "Ihtoli-maqahamok" rename for Loyalist Plaza, it's going to be funny to here the variation on how people pronounce this names... and what people will actually end up calling these places in the SJ vernacular.

Already, people have been pronouncing "Quay" with two wildly different pronunciations, and they honestly can't be blamed based on the spelling. Kway-vs Key.

Fast forward a decade when hopefully it's finally finished... I wouldn't be surprised if it's already being referred to as something else.

South Market Wharf would have been a good name for the whole kit and kaboodle. Especially if it actually mean't building some sort of boardwalk/wharf... something Saint John is still lacking... as an oceanside, port city. There's no real boardwalk, wharf, or pier.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
stumbled upon a page way back from I think 2012, where cdnguys suggested the name "south market wharf" as a better, more historical name than "Fundy Quay."

It's not even funny how much better than name would have been.

A long with the "Ihtoli-maqahamok" rename for Loyalist Plaza, it's going to be funny to here the variation on how people pronounce this names... and what people will actually end up calling these places in the SJ vernacular.

Already, people have been pronouncing "Quay" with two wildly different pronunciations, and they honestly can't be blamed based on the spelling. Kway-vs Key.

Fast forward a decade when hopefully it's finally finished... I wouldn't be surprised if it's already being referred to as something else.

South Market Wharf would have been a good name for the whole kit and kaboodle. Especially if it actually mean't building some sort of boardwalk/wharf... something Saint John is still lacking... as an oceanside, port city. There's no real boardwalk, wharf, or pier.
When similar buildings were there like market square, it was actually called South Market Wharf. If you look at very old maps, I think it’s called Turnbull Wharf or slip.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 12:14 PM

I’m surprised this major development does not have a tower crane I would think that’s why it’s going so slow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces