HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Did you get an answer on that site?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not news, but went to the white star diner on kennedy downtown today. Owner was friendly, food was great. Didn't seem super busy so just recommending it here for those in the area and are looking for that type of fare. Feel we should support these types of business downtown.
Probably my favourite burgers in the city for the last couple years. A BBQ Bacon Burger always sets you up to take it easy for the afternoon

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The exact closing timeframe is new but overall it was posted in the general thread last week as an apartment building will be replacing the site.
Replacement is a Paragon project

https://www.landmarkplanning.ca/2675portage

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Did you get an answer on that site?
Yup just read back

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 7:08 PM

Bull & Filly on Henderson is now open...

https://www.bullandfilly.net/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Not news, but went to the white star diner on kennedy downtown today. Owner was friendly, food was great. Didn't seem super busy so just recommending it here for those in the area and are looking for that type of fare. Feel we should support these types of business downtown.
and how bout that milkshake menu?!?!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:29 PM

White Star is fucking amazing, wish they were open dinner hours or I’d pump more money that way

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Business is currently for sale. Owner is retiring. Hopefully someone steps up and the quality remains good.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nipeg-downtown

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDowntowner View Post
Probably my favourite burgers in the city for the last couple years. A BBQ Bacon Burger always sets you up to take it easy for the afternoon
The owner is planning to retire. The business is for sale. I agree with the previous comments about how good it is.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:16 PM

Re White Star I have a gut feel no one will take it over.

Sort of followed what happened there behind the scenes a little. That site used to be another similar place. The owners retired and it was taken over by a new group that changed up the menu some but was still similar. It closed and became White Star. The old White Star on Albert became Vicki's and had a similar menu. It too closed.

So if White Star closes that will be the fourth burger/dinner place to close in downtown Winnipeg. Granted the recently opened 529 Burger has a lot of promise but I also have a feeling what they are attempting is not sustainable long term.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re White Star I have a gut feel no one will take it over.

Sort of followed what happened there behind the scenes a little. That site used to be another similar place. The owners retired and it was taken over by a new group that changed up the menu some but was still similar. It closed and became White Star. The old White Star on Albert became Vicki's and had a similar menu. It too closed.

So if White Star closes that will be the fourth burger/dinner place to close in downtown Winnipeg. Granted the recently opened 529 Burger has a lot of promise but I also have a feeling what they are attempting is not sustainable long term.
That spot on Albert was originally Albert St burgers and then the owner retired. Then White Star opened there and he moved to the bigger location on Kennedy when Kennedy St Grill closed. And that place wasn't anything special, it was ok but nothing to mourn at the end of the day.
Vicki's then opened on Albert(she made an amazing fat boy btw) and was only staffed by Vicky and that was unfortunately a pandemic casualty IIRC. Danook seems to be going pretty strong in that location now though.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Crazy thing is that if Shake Shack opened up the White Star location, it would probably be lined up down the sidewalk for the same quality food that is currently offered there now.

Sorta like how people will line up 2+ hours for Krispy Kreme donuts that are about the same as any other OK local donut spot.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Crazy thing is that if Shake Shack opened up the White Star location, it would probably be lined up down the sidewalk for the same quality food that is currently offered there now.

Sorta like how people will line up 2+ hours for Krispy Kreme donuts that are about the same as any other OK local donut spot.
Krispy Kreme is not like any other donut shop..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Krispy Kreme is not like any other donut shop..
I've been, and I get that it's a bit of an experience, but the end result is a donut.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:15 PM

I had my first krispy kreme ever today as someone bought a box for the office and Oh Doughnuts is absolutely better. People are just so susceptible to the big chains are their marketing. Manitobans have always been like that though. Any big chain from across the border comes up here and they act like it's some huge deal when it's the same stuff we already have under a different banner. Just the novelty and "grass is greener" thinking I guess.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:50 PM

Krispy Kreme

Not me.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 12:21 AM

Krispy Kreme is rancid. So much better quality doughnuts are out there; why waste your money in KK?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 12:43 AM
Mooderator

Welcome to the Montreal experience in 2004.

Ottawa is having it's Chick-fil-A experience now.

Applebee's and A&W got their Manitoba firsts.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
I had my first krispy kreme ever today as someone bought a box for the office and Oh Doughnuts is absolutely better. People are just so susceptible to the big chains are their marketing. Manitobans have always been like that though. Any big chain from across the border comes up here and they act like it's some huge deal when it's the same stuff we already have under a different banner. Just the novelty and "grass is greener" thinking I guess.
I haven't tried krispy kreme. I don't eat donuts very often. Having said that, I've never understood how people like Oh Doughnuts. Every time I had them, I thought they were the worst doughnuts I've ever tried. The flavour was just brutal. Never mind the fact they cost way more than doughnuts anywhere else.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:16 PM
What could go wrong?

The deal that makes Krispy Kreme so special is getting them fresh and warm off the conveyor belt… other than that, having them from a box hours later is kind of mid.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan