HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 2:34 AM

^ I just don't see it. Nobody in Toronto really cares or sees Ottawa as competition. They care more about the 905 than they will ever care about Ottawa.

But whatever works I guess ....

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 2:41 PM

It may seem like they are buddy buddy and we're finally getting our fair share, but that's not the case. That $500 million is nothing (proportionally) compared to Toronto. I'm not a fan of Stephen Blais, but this sums it up pretty well:

Blais: Doug Ford’s deal for Ottawa isn’t as generous as touted
On a per capita basis, the City of Toronto is getting much more support from the premier than we are.

Author of the article:Stephen Blais
Published Apr 06, 2024 • Last updated Apr 06, 2024 • 3 minute read

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/bl...rous-as-touted

A few quotes from the article:

Quote:
Last November, Ontario announced a massive new deal for Toronto. Over three years, the province will give Toronto $1.2 billion, which is about $396.61 for every resident of that city.

Meanwhile, the deal announced last week for Ottawa will see $197 million in operating investments over three years. That is about $181.81 per Ottawa resident.
Quote:
In Toronto, they expect a capital investment of up to $7.6 billion over the next 10 years. Here in Ottawa, we’ll get $346 million over the same period. We can all see that this is also disproportionally weighted in favour of the Big Smoke.
Quote:
This approach is not uncommon for the Ford government. For example, the premier promised to help pay for Ottawa’s recovery from the 2022 derecho, which totalled $50 million in expenses, but he has not provided a single dollar in support.
A few things in the piece I disagree with. I'm fine with the 174 deal as presented (so far). The transit fare deal in Toronto is about fare integration, which isn't an issue here (not expecting the Ontario to do anything about the STO, which honestly is pretty well integrated as it stands compared to Montreal and Toronto up until recently).

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 2:46 PM

On Diane Deans, wasn't always a fan, but props to her for fighting Watson on the shady dealings and smoke screens on Line 2 expansion, amongst other things.

Hope she can enjoy the last of the time she has left.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Blais: Doug Ford’s deal for Ottawa isn’t as generous as touted
On a per capita basis, the City of Toronto is getting much more support from the premier than we are.

Author of the article:Stephen Blais
Published Apr 06, 2024 • Last updated Apr 06, 2024 • 3 minute read

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/bl...rous-as-touted
Wait a minute. Is he saying his man Sutcliffe failed to negotiate a fair deal with the provincial government and was outsmarted by a bicycle-riding left-wing pinko-hippy mayor of Toronto?

Huh, I was told Sutcliffe was great for the job because he would be able to do just that.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Wait a minute. Is he saying his man Sutcliffe failed to negotiate a fair deal with the provincial government and was outsmarted by a bicycle-riding pinky-hippy mayor of Toronto?

Huh, I was told Sutcliffe was great for the job because he would be able to do just that.
That's a great point. Blais backed Sutcliffe, so this reflects badly on himself in a way.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The only dangerous precedent here is that increasingly anti-urban policy here is sleepwalking this city into the kind of hollowing out we see in the US. All while, urbanites disproportionately pay the bills.
We were sleepwalking into it, but then we hopped on a scooter, and now we're scooting into it.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Other comments about rural representation don't pay attention to the fact that this was a compromise based on the loss of local representation and to give a reasonable rural voice on city council knowing that rural needs are substantially different. Again, based on provincially imposed amalgamation.
Is the rural over-representation actually required under the City of Ottawa Act?

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
To the extent we can extract concessions, it should be by pressuring MPPs from here.
MPPs from here are often as disinterested, and even hostile, to local aspirations as any Toronto MPP.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:48 PM

Rural over representation means Urban underrepresentation. Hardly fair. If they don't want to be drowned by the voices of urban and suburban voters, than they should demand independence from Ottawa, or ask that they be amalgamated with surrounding rural municipalities.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
The only dangerous precedent here is that increasingly anti-urban policy here is sleepwalking this city into the kind of hollowing out we see in the US. All while, urbanites disproportionately pay the bills.

And indeed, if the median voter thinks transit's only utility is traffic reduction (a view suburbanites regularly express with their votes) than maybe service in low use areas should match what they vote for.
What do you mean by hollowing out? As for paying the bills that arguable but let's not re-hash. Regardless the urbanites can't leave the city. Alberta disproportionally pays Canada's bills are we worried they might move to Trois Rivieres to get their fair share? If we ever made the outside the greenbelt suburbanites pay the Truenorth bill we would see them fleeing to the Stittsville and Rocklands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Wait a minute. Is he saying his man Sutcliffe failed to negotiate a fair deal with the provincial government and was outsmarted by a bicycle-riding left-wing pinko-hippy mayor of Toronto?

Obviously Toronto is always going to get more that is like blaming an NDP Alberta premier who makes a deal with the feds and gets less than Quebec.
Is there anyone who thinks McKenny would have gotten more?

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
What do you mean by hollowing out? As for paying the bills that arguable but let's not re-hash. Regardless the urbanites can't leave the city. Alberta disproportionally pays Canada's bills are we worried they might move to Trois Rivieres to get their fair share?

If we ever made the outside the greenbelt suburbanites pay the Truenorth bill we would see them fleeing to the Stittsville and Rocklands.
Which, as I said, isn't an issue if we cut services to match what those places contribute. We can't make suburbanites take transit. I've come around to agree with you on that. I am just arguing their services need to be cut to match. Save the transit for places what actually use it and let the suburbanites drive like they want. We can save money and offer services in area which value them.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Which, as I said, isn't an issue if we cut services to match what those places contribute. We can't make suburbanites take transit. I've come around to agree with you on that. I am just arguing their services need to be cut to match. Save the transit for places what actually use it and let the suburbanites drive like they want. We can save money and offer services in area which value them.
The politics get complicated but I think a freeze on the transit tax combined with drastic cuts to suburban non-peak hour service would probably be palatable. With LRT phase 2 and a few key routes maintaining frequent service downtown we could provide decent service for those most dependent on it. The problem is my math probably doesn't work. We migiht need a 5-10% a year increase in the transit tax to maintain current service and the 2.5% currently planned probably isn't sufficient even with fairly substantial cuts.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 9:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Diane Deans, who sat on Ottawa city council for 28 years, has died
'She wore her heart on her sleeve,' says former councillor

Elyse Skura · CBC News · Posted: May 14, 2024 4:56 PM EDT | Last Updated: 7 minutes ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...died-1.7198785

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:51 PM

Chianello: Diane Deans was tenacious, passionate, sometimes frustrating — and utterly committed

As an Ottawa city hall reporter and columnist, I sometimes disagreed with the longtime councillor. But she and her staff knew their stuff and zeroed in on what mattered.

Author of the article:Joanne Chianello, Special to the Citizen
Published May 16, 2024 • Last updated May 16, 2024 • 4 minute read

A reporter’s promise of confidentiality extends beyond this life, which is how I found myself on the section couch with Diane Deans in her home this past Monday. I had come to say goodbye, but also to get her blessing to tell how she helped me break what would be one of the biggest stories of my career.

It was winter of 2019, and I had discovered that SNC-Lavalin (now called AtkinsRéalis) was the city’s choice for the $1.6-billion Trillium Line extension, despite failing – twice! – to score the required minimum 70 per cent in the bidding process. My source couldn’t go on the record, and to publish I needed confirmation from at least two more people.

I had worked at it for weeks, but no dice. With council set to approve the contract on March 6, I considered who else at city hall might help.

Why did I go to Deans? I knew she would be outraged, wouldn’t reveal my source, and would try to help, unlike others who suggested I “keep digging” or “follow the money.” As one of Ottawa’s longest-serving councillors, Deans knew a lot of people and I was hoping she could convince someone to speak with me.

That didn’t work out. But Deans didn’t drop it. At the council meeting, she interrogated city staff and lawyers. They wouldn’t say whether SNC-Lavalin had hit that 70 per cent score. What’s more, the hired legal guns told councillors they were not even allowed to ask the question.

Deans was flabbergasted.

“Not our high-priced lawyer, not senior city staff, not our fairness commissioner can sit in front of us and answer a simple question,” she said, adding she “got a song and dance.” (I included that clip in any story I could.)

The evasions outraged the city and her probing helped convince others to confirm to me that SNC-Lavalin had failed to meet that required score, allowing me to report the story. Some would have preferred otherwise. Not Deans.

Watch city hall for any length of time and you’ll soon see who around the council horseshoe has read a report closely and who has skimmed the executive summary. Deans and her staff — largely women — dug into details, knew their stuff and zeroed in on what mattered.

Reporters sitting on media row always leaned in when Deans’s mic was turned on. We were about to hear a question that hit at the heart of an issue — and get a good quote to boot!

She enjoyed the spotlight but was happy to share it, especially with other women. She launched her annual International Women’s Day Breakfast in the mid-1990s, just a couple of years after being elected — and before such events became de rigueur.

None of this is to say Deans was an angel. She relished the political realm, understood the personality dynamics involved and wasn’t above using them to her advantage. She could frustrate city colleagues by acting on her own, like the time she unilaterally, and successfully, applied for federal money for a community kitchen in the Albion-Heatherington Recreation Centre.

She had a knack for messaging. Being named the chair of the Ottawa Police Services Board in 2018 could have been considered a demotion from her longstanding leadership of the community services committee. But Deans took control of the narrative, boasting she was the board’s first woman chair.

I asked her on Monday what kept her in council, and in politics, for 28 long years. She said that she always told herself she’d leave when she stopped having fun.

That moment didn’t come until very late in the game.

During her final term, worsening tensions between Deans and former mayor Jim Watson were no secret.

When she unilaterally hired a new temporary police chief in the middle of the so-called “Freedom Convoy” in February 2022, politics finally tripped her up.

As police board chair, she was legally allowed to make that hire, even without informing council. But her colleagues didn’t agree with her call. They removed her in an uncommonly chaotic and emotional council meeting. Deans never got over what she felt was personal betrayal.

Over the years, we had often disagreed, including over some details around her hiring of a new chief. That was hard: I respected and liked her, and had seen how the former mayor treated her, from cutting off her mic during a debate over an LRT inquiry to refusing to let her ask a question at a committee she didn’t sit on.

But, during our last visit, Deans wasn’t dwelling on rifts and recriminations. In a flattering pixie cut, wearing a soft pink sweater, she looked as beautiful as ever as we laughed and gossiped about — what else? — city politics. She wanted to dive into the taxi class-action lawsuit decision that had just come down that day.

Her willingness to agree to disagree, stay engaged, and keep laughing are all too rare these days, not just in politics, but in society at large. Diane Deans played the angles, but also pressed her case, even if she was tired, even if some might not like it. She drew out the best in people and worked to make things better. Like many in this city, I’m missing her already.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ch...erly-committed

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:06 PM

I was running errands today and all I can say is that Ottawa looks very unkempt, with two and three feet of grass and weeds in road allowances and parkland all over the place. It is a disgrace.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I was running errands today and all I can say is that Ottawa looks very unkempt, with two and three feet of grass and weeds in road allowances and parkland all over the place. It is a disgrace.
It happens every spring - the city's summer crews are never up to speed in time for the warm weather. It's kind of like how the construction season only "officially" started on June 3 and lifeguard duty at beaches only begins on June 15, despite the weather having been favourable for both activities for well over a month now.

That being said, it's not unique to Ottawa. I recently saw a post from a GTA city (Burlington I think) in response to widespread resident complaints similar to yours. They explained that this spring's conditions have been highly favourable for rapid grass/weed growth and combined with the recent heavy rainfall, it's led to crews falling behind on regular maintenance.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
It happens every spring - the city's summer crews are never up to speed in time for the warm weather. It's kind of like how the construction season only "officially" started on June 3 and lifeguard duty at beaches only begins on June 15, despite the weather having been favourable for both activities for well over a month now.

That being said, it's not unique to Ottawa. I recently saw a post from a GTA city (Burlington I think) in response to widespread resident complaints similar to yours. They explained that this spring's conditions have been highly favourable for rapid grass/weed growth and combined with the recent heavy rainfall, it's led to crews falling behind on regular maintenance.
A few councillors specifically mentioned it in their e-blasts last week too, that because of the rain the last month things are higher than normal. Apparently they aim to keep the grass height between 60-75mm and not more than 100mm unless the area is in a designated naturalization area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Even more troubling..he is a proud Nickelback fan

https://twitter.com/TimTierney/statu...744494/photo/1
Just watching today's Planning Committee meeting and Tierney is not even making an attempt to be engaged and watching and participating. He's got his camera on and is turned sideways and seems to be reading something on his phone all of the time.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

$300,000 donation from developer Katasa back on the table in Ottawa
In January, the company withdrew from a memorandum of understanding to spend $300,000 on traffic-calming and other measures.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 20, 2024 • Last updated 14 hours ago • 2 minute read

A $300,000 charitable donation by Developer Katasa Group will go ahead after all.

The Gatineau-based developer said Thursday it had decided to make $100,000 donations to three Ottawa-area charities yet to be named.

In January, Katasa withdrew from a memorandum of understanding brokered with Capital Ward Coun. Shawn Menard to spend $300,000 on traffic-calming and affordable housing in the ward to offset the impact of its 22-storey tower at the intersection of Carling and Bronson avenues.

The deal outraged other councillors, who wanted the money shared across the city. Orléans East-Cumberland Coun. Matthew Luloff likened it to a “slush fund” and warned the deal “didn’t pass the smell test.” Mayor Mark Sutcliffe said he wanted similar deals banned, preferring donations be made to third-party groups rather than paying for measures the city offers itself.

In the end, that was what Katasa decided to do.

In a statement, Katasa partner Katherine Chowieri said the company “cannot overstate our regret for the misconception about our intended $300,000 donation to the City of Ottawa. As we said then, we genuinely believed this type of donation was common and part of the City of Ottawa’s process for approving land developments. We now know, of course, that it is not.”

But Chowieri said the company still wanted “our donation to have a meaningful and lasting impact on the City of Ottawa.”

“That’s why we are announcing our plans to support three Ottawa charities, with $100,000 each. The foundation of our city is its charitable sector, and making tangible change starts with empowering and investing in these organizations and the hard-working people who represent them on the front lines.”

She said more details on the donation would be made later in the summer, adding she hoped it would rebuild community trust in the company.

“The events earlier this year were regrettable. For that, we are sorry. Our announcement today builds upon our relationship with the City of Ottawa and the residents who call this great city home,” Chowieri said.

Menard said Thursday that he was pleased that Katasa would be giving money to charity, and he defended MOUs like the one he negotiated with Katasa as “common practice” that could lead to better outcomes for a community.

“My job is to listen and to advocate for my residents and to try to ensure that new development leads to benefits for both existing and future residents — like affordable housing and traffic safety,” Menard said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-katasa-ottawa

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Committee votes to ban councillors from brokering developer donations to wards
Perceived conflict of interest weighed against potential loss of funding for communities

Elyse Skura · CBC News
Posted: Jul 03, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

City councillors should not engage in discussions with developers over "voluntary contributions" to their wards, members of Ottawa's finance and corporate services committee decided Tuesday.

But the vote came with more heated debate, as several councillors argued the decision would unfairly tie their hands.

Staff came up with two options for councillors to consider: adopt a framework that establishes guardrails for these discussions, or expressly prohibit the practice.

Coun. Laura Dudas put forward a motion for the ban, successfully arguing that this would eliminate any "perceived" influence. She argued that developers may feel a donation is required to gain the councillor's support — and vote.

"We have heard from staff that my motion does not prohibit councillors from doing their role, which is to be advocates, stewards and the biggest cheerleaders for their communities," she said.

"It will continue to allow us to be involved in every aspect that we need to be. What it will not allow us is to be at the table asking for cash to build a gazebo that we could then cut a ribbon at."

If council opts to support the ban, planning staff could still enable negotiations between developers and the community. Those talks would be much more narrowly focused on the area directly surrounding a new development, the city's director of planning told councillors.

The donation issue exploded around the council table in January, when councillors debated a motion from Capital Coun. Shawn Menard to accept a $300,000 donation from developer Groupe Katasa.

That discussion at times leaned toward insinuating that Menard's negotiations were tantamount to extortion. The integrity commissioner stopped short of making an official finding on the now-withdrawn donation, calling the question a policy matter.

Menard said on Tuesday that this has been a political "hit job," and that the committee's decision puts councillors "down a slippery slope."

Coun. Jeff Leiper, who unsuccessfully pushed his colleagues to keep the status quo, lamented that councillors are becoming "increasingly less important" in the decision-making process.

"This is a solution that is looking for a problem," said Leiper. "We don't have a plethora of city councillors who are successfully negotiating deals with developers to go over and above what the statute requires."

Councillors Cathy Curry, Glen Gower, George Darouze, Tim Tierney and Matt Luloff voted with Dudas and the mayor in favour of the ban. Councillors Riley Brockington and Rawlson King voted with Menard and Leiper against it.

Since this debate began, councillors have argued over whether it's possible to negotiate with developers while making it clear that any donation would be entirely voluntary.

Brockington argued 99 per cent of developers understand they don't have to make a donation, and said a short-sighted ban will lose communities "millions" in potential funding for traffic calming, affordable housing and more.

But Jason Burggraaf, executive director of the Greater Ottawa Home Builders' Association, told CBC that the situation can leave even the most experienced corporations with the wrong impression.

"I have been told of instances where people did feel that way, and some said yes and they went ahead. Others said no and didn't feel like they got much ramification from it," he said.

Discussing a donation with someone who has the power to vote against your proposed development naturally creates a power imbalance, he argued.

Dudas agreed, saying this decision allows councillors "to take the high ground."

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, who has made his desire for a ban clear for months, said this was a healthy and respectful discussion among councillors at both ends of the spectrum.

"There are councillors who are trying to uphold the principle of their ability to be involved in advancing interests in their community, and then there are councillors who are trying to uphold the principle of avoiding conflicts of interest," he told CBC.

Asked if a compromise is possible, Sutcliffe said he's open to discussion but believes the ban is "a good solution."

"It doesn't stop members of the community from being involved in advocating for their needs. It doesn't stop companies from making contributions from negotiating with staff," he said. "It just removes councillors from being part of those discussions."

The committee approved a separate motion by King that would see staff further review a possible framework for councillor-negotiated donations and report back next fall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ards-1.7252319

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy