HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
It could be lessened with actual diversity quotas. Say no more than 10% of visas in a year can be issued to the same country's citizens. So if we're issuing 200,000 visas in a year, no more than 20,000 can go to India, the Phillipines, Germany, USA, Nigeria, et al.
That's a good idea. I would agree with something like that I think its needed. For all the talk of diversity and multiculturalism, our immigration system hasn't been very diverse lately.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I get the sentiment but we seriously need to crush the rampant enclaving happening in this country.
To be fair, this has always been the case. I grew up a first generation Canadian, Dad and grandparents moved here in 67ish from Italy. There was a major influx of Italians and Europeans to Canada and Winnipeg at that time. There was major enclaving back then as well.

My Grandparents for the most part never interacted with people other than Italians. They didn't speak English and couldn't really engage in any meaningful way with others. Having a shared language and culture made it an easy way to maintain an identity.

Though my dad went to school here and branched out a little, he always knew the Italian community.

Now I am fully integrated into Canadian culture with only a superficial connection to my routes.

This is the story of Canada and will be the same for the children of new immigrants growing up today.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
That's a good idea. I would agree with something like that I think its needed. For all the talk of diversity and multiculturalism, our immigration system hasn't been very diverse lately.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Canadian Immigration is based on a points system with the intent to bring in skilled labour that compliments our countries needs. We should not impose quotas that would potentially and unnecessarily limit Canada bringing in the appropriate skill because there are a few more Indians or Philippino's being accepted.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. Canadian Immigration is based on a points system with the intent to bring in skilled labour that compliments our countries needs. We should not impose quotas that would potentially and unnecessarily limit Canada bringing in the appropriate skill because there are a few more Indians or Philippino's being accepted.
Our points based system is significantly diminished. The most egregious file is study permits where boutique PR mill colleges are a plaguing cross the country exploiting people mainly from the Indian subcontinent. By limiting visa issuance it incentivized IRCC to prioritize degrees and technical trade training of the thousands upon thousands of hotel management or tourism diplomas being studied by people mainly from on two or three countries.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
It’s not a few more though… and many coming from those countries aren’t offering anything to Canada. Think Grandparents who don’t work, and have contributed next to nothing to the system but will receive Canadian benefits.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It's not a just few more. These groups vastly out number others. More Indians than FIlipinos. Indians are coming in unprecedented numbers. The problem is really the government isn't bringing people that we need in every sector. The point system is great at bringing in educated people yet we have shortage of health care workers across the country. We also have a major shortage of construction workers. There is a lot of talk about the need to build more homes yet nothing serious is being done about it, we don't even have the workers to build the homes we need. Canada doesn't want to bring in the blue collar workers, this is just a fact. There are many industry where we are short of workers yet we are not bringing in people to meet all these needs. What is the point of letting in an engineer if they will end up driivng a cab for a living? Immigrants are going to start leaving in droves. Specially with the high cost of everything.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:57 PM

is the points system even still in play with all the changes in recent years?

I know for a fact in the transportation industry many new immigrants (from India) are becoming drivers for companies owned by large Indian immigrant $. They are paying them well well below industry average and not sure how some are even below minimum wage. We hear it from drivers who have "broken away / escaped" from that Mafia type environment. I've also heard fast food restaurants are similar. This is facts, not speculation.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:33 PM

The Manitoba Provincial Nominee program (which has been held up as a model for other provinces who want to attract skilled workers) assigns points for language proficiency, age (more points for younger), work experience, education, and adaptability to MB (work and family connections to the province) . So yeah, a point system is still a thing. For sure, the education stream has been abused across the country (by universities too, not just private colleges), but overall MB has been quite successful in attracting a lot of skilled workers. And they do target specific sectors based on employer needs.
It's not perfect, but I think it's worked pretty well, which is the reason other provinces have looked at our model.
In terms of paying below minimum wage and abuse, I think the temporary foreign worker stream is highly problematic for this.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
It's not a just few more. These groups vastly out number others. More Indians than FIlipinos. Indians are coming in unprecedented numbers. The problem is really the government isn't bringing people that we need in every sector. The point system is great at bringing in educated people yet we have shortage of health care workers across the country. We also have a major shortage of construction workers. There is a lot of talk about the need to build more homes yet nothing serious is being done about it, we don't even have the workers to build the homes we need. Canada doesn't want to bring in the blue collar workers, this is just a fact. There are many industry where we are short of workers yet we are not bringing in people to meet all these needs. What is the point of letting in an engineer if they will end up driivng a cab for a living? Immigrants are going to start leaving in droves. Specially with the high cost of everything.
All your comments don't speak to the need to limit Indian immigrants. Your points about needing to more appropriately target certain sectors may be valid but aren't a reason to limit where we get those particular immigrants to meet that need. That's a policy issue, not a country of origin issue.

India is the most populated country in the world and a developing country. It makes sense that they would make up the lions share of immigration to a developed country. Similar to the large influx of Philipino's, Africans.

We aren't going to see big numbers of Brits, French or Swiss moving here because there is no major incentive to relocate from a prosperous country.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic_city View Post
the manitoba provincial nominee program (which has been held up as a model for other provinces who want to attract skilled workers) assigns points for language proficiency, age (more points for younger), work experience, education, and adaptability to mb (work and family connections to the province) . So yeah, a point system is still a thing. For sure, the education stream has been abused across the country (by universities too, not just private colleges), but overall mb has been quite successful in attracting a lot of skilled workers. And they do target specific sectors based on employer needs.
It's not perfect, but i think it's worked pretty well, which is the reason other provinces have looked at our model.
In terms of paying below minimum wage and abuse, i think the temporary foreign worker stream is highly problematic for this.
100%

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:03 PM

Yeah I don't really understand why it would matter if immigrants largely come from 2 or 3 places or why you would arbitrarily try to get people from a bunch of different countries instead of just looking at the individual. Why does their origin matter other than some underlying xenophobia or "replacement" type thinking. We've always had enclaves and waves of immigration concentrated from certain places even going back to the pre-war period with Irish and Chinese people coming here.

Also Indians clearly are taking jobs Canadians can't/don't want to fill. I can't remember the last time I had an Uber or Skip driver who wasn't Indian. The fact that they're choosing those jobs over something like construction tells you what the real problem is - construction and other industries simply aren't attractive enough. The pay and conditions don't appeal to people enough, whether they were born here or not. You can bring in people from wherever the hell you want but unless you're gonna do some Saudi slave labour shit you can't force them to work somewhere if there are better options. Can you blame them - who wants to sweat their ass off and destroy their body working construction all day when you can drive around delivering sushi at your own convenience for a bit less money and have the flexibility to go to school at the same time?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Yeah I don't really understand why it would matter if immigrants largely come from 2 or 3 places or why you would arbitrarily try to get people from a bunch of different countries instead of just looking at the individual. Why does their origin matter other than some underlying xenophobia or "replacement" type thinking. We've always had enclaves and waves of immigration concentrated from certain places even going back to the pre-war period with Irish and Chinese people coming here.

Also Indians clearly are taking jobs Canadians can't/don't want to fill. I can't remember the last time I had an Uber or Skip driver who wasn't Indian. The fact that they're choosing those jobs over something like construction tells you what the real problem is - construction and other industries simply aren't attractive enough. The pay and conditions don't appeal to people enough, whether they were born here or not. You can bring in people from wherever the hell you want but unless you're gonna do some Saudi slave labour shit you can't force them to work somewhere if there are better options. Can you blame them - who wants to sweat their ass off and destroy their body working construction all day when you can drive around delivering sushi at your own convenience for a bit less money and have the flexibility to go to school at the same time?
How long until this is happening in Canada? https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-flags-banned

This is why we need diversity! Lol

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
How long until this is happening in Canada? https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-flags-banned

This is why we need diversity! Lol
And there is about 80% of what is wrong with modern society lol. Rushing into a moral panic & hysteria over some cherry-picked story on the internet about some small town somewhere. The entire state of Florida has essentially banned any pride displays and to my knowledge their gov't is not Muslim lol.

White Christians are by far the biggest threat to LGBTQ rights in the West today, this is nothing but xenophobia.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
And there is about 80% of what is wrong with modern society lol. Rushing into a moral panic & hysteria over some cherry-picked story on the internet about some small town somewhere. The entire state of Florida has essentially banned any pride displays and to my knowledge their gov't is not Muslim lol.

White Christians are by far the biggest threat to LGBTQ rights in the West today, this is nothing but xenophobia.
Your comment about white Christians could be seen as racist and Xenophobic. Half of floridas population is white and when it comes to homophobia it is much more prominent in more religious black and Hispanic communities

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:25 PM

And no the entire state of florida has not banned pride flags. So get your facts straight.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:

Also Indians clearly are taking jobs Canadians can't/don't want to fill.
Where I work there are many new Canadians of Indian/Pakistani origin training to be nurses, support workers in care homes, etc. Like many new Canadians, they are willing to fill much-needed vacancies in our workforce. I'd hate to see their immigration limited due to misconceptions.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
For the record, not all of us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ng_LGBT_people

...but yeah, I get it. Some of the most vocal opponents of LGBTQ+ rights have, sadly, identified loudly as "Christian", though many seem to have ignored or forgotten Galatians 3:28:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Seems clear to me, but I'm not running a big box church like Joel Often, so what do I know?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:

So you dislike white Christians. Cool, I embrace the dislike.

And btw, I am no threat to the gay community. They can live their lives any way they see fit, just like any other human being out there. We are taught to love all our brothers and sisters, even if we don't adopt or agree with their lifestyles.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
So you dislike white Christians. Cool, I embrace the dislike.

And btw, I am no threat to the gay community. They can live their lives any way they see fit, just like any other human being out there. We are taught to love all our brothers and sisters, even if we don't adopt or agree with their lifestyles.
Ooof. This is kinda the point isn't it. It's not a choice or a "lifestyle" that one "adopts". It's just who some people are. If your religion doesn't "agree" with people literally just being who they are that's bigotry plain and simple. Replace LGBTQ people with another group to see how troubling this is. "Blacks can live their lives any way they see fit, we love them even if we don't agree with their lifestyle."

You're also being pretty disingenuous. Are you really gonna pretend there isn't a Christian-led movement calling LGBTQ pedophiles and groomers every chance they get? Are we just gonna pretend the pride events in Manitoba's bible belt aren't frequently dealing with threats and vandalism?

Also your desperate need to be a victim here is cringe.

Last edited by EdwardTH; Jun 21, 2024 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Ooof. This is kinda the point isn't it. It's not a choice or a "lifestyle" that one "adopts". It's just who some people are. If your religion doesn't "agree" with people literally just being who they are that's bigotry plain and simple. Replace LGBTQ people with another group to see how troubling this is. "Blacks can live their lives any way they see fit, we love them even if we don't agree with their lifestyle."

You're also being pretty disingenuous. Are you really gonna pretend there isn't a Christian-led movement calling LGBTQ pedophiles and groomers every chance they get? Are we just gonna pretend the pride events in Manitoba's bible belt aren't frequently dealing with threats and vandalism?

Also your desperate need to be a victim here is cringe.
Let’s look at what’s happening to Jewish Canadians right now with increasing attacks on their community. Are you really gonna pretend there isn’t a large presence of Muslim people in Canada who think it’s okay to make life hell for Jewish Canadians right now? But tell me more about how bad the evil Christian’s are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan