HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Does anyone know if one is paid for stat holidays in Manitoba, if they have not worked 30 days?
Off topic, but the answer is easy to find.

"Do employees have to work a certain length of time before they qualify for general holiday pay?
No. The length of time employees work for an employer does not affect the requirement to pay general holiday pay.

For example, if an employee started to work for the employer one day before the general holiday, the employee would be entitled to 5% of the wages earned on that day as general holiday pay."

https://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standar...heet.html#q722

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:55 PM

BBC article on the Canadian government pushing fourplexes:
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjjjvnq4665o

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 12:15 PM

A hotel the Sherb will remain...

"Soorsma said his early plans for the space are to create an “upper-scale” version of the hotel by refurbishing the bar, reopening the beer vendor, updating the hotel rooms and creating a space for live music."

AKA, lipstick on a pig. That Pawn Shop hopefully gets shut down being it's a locus of property crime in West Broadway.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...ade-reopen-bar

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 3:58 PM
the first stamp is free

^ this is disappointing to hear.

Shut 'er down, and replace it with something more beneficial to the area.

A pot shop, pawn shop and jailhouse vendor are not the peak use of this highly desirable piece of property.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 4:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Sounds to me like FactaNV said, the new owner will throw a little lipstick on it and try to extract as much money as possible out of it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 12:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I got a few lines into that one and immediately disregarded her opinion. What an absolutely miserable person she must be.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
I got a few lines into that one and immediately disregarded her opinion. What an absolutely miserable person she must be.
I was thinking the same thing, she's so jaded. Odd that anyone could be pessimistic about the "sprawling" forks.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:15 PM

It's depressing and miserable as hell but she's not wrong. I'm old enough to have witnessed all these failures, so I kinda can't blame her crummy attitude. Maybe it will be different this time...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:42 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
At the end of the opinion piece it has this:

Judy Waytiuk is an old warhorse of a Winnipeg journalist who’s seen it all over the decades and is now terminally jaded.

So at least she owns it I guess.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I was thinking the same thing, she's so jaded. Odd that anyone could be pessimistic about the "sprawling" forks.
"Judy Waytiuk is an old warhorse of a Winnipeg journalist who’s seen it all over the decades, and is now terminally jaded."

Such a self-important way to say "cranky old person" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
It's depressing and miserable as hell but she's not wrong. I'm old enough to have witnessed all these failures, so I kinda can't blame her crummy attitude. Maybe it will be different this time...
The only failure here is that people still think development projects are supposed to single-handedly transform the downtown. Like that's the sole purpose of any downtown project and if downtown issues persist they are "failures". Unfortunately this is how projects like Portage Place were sold back in the day and now boomers like Judy can't get out of that mindset.

Development and solving social issues are two different things. The existence of the latter doesn't mean the former is a waste. The Forks is a massive success. Canada Life Centre is a massive success. Even the Exchange is seeing a steady stream of projects despite the persistent issues there. And every project that adds more people and activity to the area helps.

I don't recall Chipman or anybody else saying the portage place project is going to "save" downtown or whatever. It's a worthwhile project that makes better use of an underutilized property. That's all it needs to be. Yes, we absolutely need to address social issues as well but that has little to do with development, and Judy doesn't actually offer a single solution on that front.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

The only failure here is that people still think development projects are supposed to single-handedly transform the downtown. Like that's the sole purpose of any downtown project and if downtown issues persist they are "failures". Unfortunately this is how projects like Portage Place were sold back in the day and now boomers like Judy can't get out of that mindset.

Development and solving social issues are two different things. The existence of the latter doesn't mean the former is a waste. The Forks is a massive success. Canada Life Centre is a massive success. Even the Exchange is seeing a steady stream of projects despite the persistent issues there. And every project that adds more people and activity to the area helps.

I don't recall Chipman or anybody else saying the portage place project is going to "save" downtown or whatever. It's a worthwhile project that makes better use of an underutilized property. That's all it needs to be. Yes, we absolutely need to address social issues as well but that has little to do with development, and Judy doesn't actually offer a single solution on that front.
EXACTLY! The "it's not going to save downtown" rebuke is a classic "straw man" fallacy. It's usually a sign that someone has no legitimate argument against a position, so they make up one they can knock down.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:49 PM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 8:37 PM

What a waste of column space. Editor should be ashamed honestly.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
"Judy Waytiuk is an old warhorse of a Winnipeg journalist who’s seen it all over the decades, and is now terminally jaded."

Such a self-important way to say "cranky old person" lol

Hey I don't disagree. Maybe I should have chosen a less triggering word like "failures" lol. I was just generalizing, referring to all the initiatives from decades gone by that went sideways, got watered down, were politicized, or were scrapped after years of debate and costly studies (LRT anyone?). So yeah, I'm jaded. But not quite as old and jaded as Judy is, I was a teen in the '80s.

Yes, Portage Place was very much promoted as the be-all-and-end-all solution to Winnipeg's downtown woes, and no, we older folks will never get that out of our collective heads. They fucked up big time and we won't forget. I think Judy doesn't want today's leaders to forget that either, offended readers be damned.

Obviously, bricks-and-mortar projects do little to help social issues (duh!) and expecting developers to solve them is naive. The Chipmans are not claiming to "save downtown" (as if anybody would actually say that) but saying things like "creating social and economic impact by building a sense of community-mindedness” brings about certain expectations. Offering solutions to social problems is not in Judy's wheelhouse either, but holding our leaders to account certainly is. Sure, dismiss her as a cranky old person, but she's just telling it like it is.

That said, I'm unclear about her gripe with the Forks. I too think it's a success and am excited about the new housing that's being added. I also love how the Waterfront Drive area is evolving. Sure, the arena is a success, but plunk an arena or stadium anywhere and people will show up as long as there are events to attend. Building it downtown was a no-brainer, but tearing down the old Eaton's was just heinous. True North Square is a great addition to downtown and I honesty appreciate how the Chipmans are so invested in our city. They're arguably more invested than some of our navel-gazing civic leaders, who appear to be on autopilot.

I welcome the reimagining of Portage Place. It may have a better chance of addressing some of the issues that the original PP was intended to do. Anything is an improvement over the postmodern dystopia we have now.

Last edited by bon_vivant; Jun 20, 2024 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:05 PM

Nothing real new in this article but it is heartening to see the little forks proposal gaining some popular steam. That'd be a game changing park for the city if done right.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...s-big-ambition

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan