HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:41 PM

The last 2 girders were installed on the bridge today in the early morning hours.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:29 PM

Sounds like foundation and site prep has started on the 12 story Riverside Horizons development on Riverside drive and Pratt area (just east of the Power Generation plant and old Ford Foundry)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
Sounds like foundation and site prep has started on the 12 story Riverside Horizons development on Riverside drive and Pratt area (just east of the Power Generation plant and old Ford Foundry)
Good to hear and great addition to the Walkerville area. Would like to see more projects like this on the opposite side of Walkerville towards the downtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:50 PM

Big year for road construction. Several major projects ongoing at the same time: Banwell rd, county rd 42, Walker rd, EC row expressway, Lesperance, Riverside drive, Jefferson, Sandwich st and now Lauzon parkway. I think Howard ave at South Cameron will be kicking off soon too.

Lauzon parkway enters final phase of reconstruction.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...tion-1.7237147

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter777 View Post
Good to hear and great addition to the Walkerville area. Would like to see more projects like this on the opposite side of Walkerville towards the downtown.
That area is actually considered part of the Ford City area, but yeah, great to see some movement on this project. I’m surprised that the area from DT to Walkerville hasn’t seen any condo proposals along the waterfront yet, except the old Danny’s site.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Big year for road construction. Several major projects ongoing at the same time: Banwell rd, county rd 42, Walker rd, EC row expressway, Lesperance, Riverside drive, Jefferson, Sandwich st and now Lauzon parkway. I think Howard ave at South Cameron will be kicking off soon too.

Lauzon parkway enters final phase of reconstruction.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...tion-1.7237147
Yes, lots of investments in roads here, yet all we hear are people complaining that the city doesn’t spend enough on roads, lol.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
That area is actually considered part of the Ford City area, but yeah, great to see some movement on this project. I’m surprised that the area from DT to Walkerville hasn’t seen any condo proposals along the waterfront yet, except the old Danny’s site.
Oops ya Ford city. Is the old Danny's site in litigation? Can't remember the reason for the delay but I know it received some resistance from the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:04 PM

Updated rendering of the Sandwhich street tower to be located on the west end near the tim hortons by the new bridge

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post

Updated rendering of the Sandwhich street tower to be located on the west end near the tim hortons by the new bridge
I recall this one. Close to the industrial part of Sandwich town. Ballsy for sure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Oops ya Ford city. Is the old Danny's site in litigation? Can't remember the reason for the delay but I know it received some resistance from the neighbourhood.
I’m not sure about that, but I know they decided to go with residential instead of office, so maybe that’s the delay.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:08 PM

Quote:
I recall this one. Close to the industrial part of Sandwich town. Ballsy for sure.
I think that area and all of Sandwich st. will be cleaned up considerably once the road enhancements and new bridge are finished, so it shouldn’t look out of place.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I think that area and all of Sandwich st. will be cleaned up considerably once the road enhancements and new bridge are finished, so it shouldn’t look out of place.
Agreed completely.
If anything, I really hope it spurs more projects and development.
That side of town has been neglected for far to long.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:09 AM

Quote:
I can't see it ever being a desirable place to live, though, considering it's proximity to the sewage treatment plant.

I would say I wouldn't hold my breath for this one, but I always hold my breath passing through that part of town.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa230e View Post
I can't see it ever being a desirable place to live, though, considering it's proximity to the sewage treatment plant.

I would say I wouldn't hold my breath for this one, but I always hold my breath passing through that part of town.
Yeah, that smell is pretty horrible when the wind is blowing it towards you. I wonder if there is something they can do to reduce that odour?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:53 PM

New FIFA sized turf field going in at McHugh Soccer Complex along with an electronic scoreboard and shelters.
https://windsorite.ca/2024/06/new-tu...occer-complex/

More info on McHugh park stadium plans and a future CPL team
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/city-move...tion-1.6935579

Last edited by inter777; Jun 21, 2024 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:09 PM

Quote:
New FIFA sized turf field going in at McHugh Soccer Complex along with an electronic scoreboard and shelters.

Long overdue. Great work to everyone involved

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:

I mean this is great and all. But why not repair/restore/upgrade Windsor Stadium? So much history in that place, yet it's left to rot and is looking pretty sad these days. Instead we are putting all of our money into facilities in suburban-sprawl-world. I guess some things never change in this city!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat View Post
I mean this is great and all. But why not repair/restore/upgrade Windsor Stadium? So much history in that place, yet it's left to rot and is looking pretty sad these days. Instead we are putting all of our money into facilities in suburban-sprawl-world. I guess some things never change in this city!
I was in favor of Windsor stadium also. The renders looked great. The city passed on it due to lack of parking and land since their intention is to build a multi field Soccer complex at McHugh park. Also, Tecumseh United soccer club is involved so the location is fitting for them.

This whole vision for the WFCU centre and area that Eddie Francis sold us never came to fruition. The hotels and major franchises never came. We are basically building a sporting destination in the middle of a neighbourhood with no businesses in the immediate area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
This whole vision for the WFCU centre and area that Eddie Francis sold us never came to fruition. The hotels and major franchises never came. We are basically building a sporting destination in the middle of a neighbourhood with no businesses in the immediate area.
Typical of most arena/stadium "promises"

Had Bob Young's preferred suburban facility been built for the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton, I doubt the vision of related developments would have become reality. Given the proposed location, something would have transpired but not because of a stadium.

As it is, Tim Hortons Field hasn't had much/any impact on its neighbourhood - one nearby pub was renovated (or at least a fresh coat of paint was slapped on the exterior) and there's a new KFC, but that's about it to date. Oh and a new high school and rec centre were built across the street, but those would have happened regardless. Long-term evolution of that area will be about shifting trends in local economic development and real estate.

Windsor could use a larger multi-purpose stadium though. I do hope a CPL team takes root in the city.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 25, 2024 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Typical of most arena/stadium "promises"

Had Bob Young's preferred suburban facility been built for the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton, I doubt the vision of related developments would have become reality. Given the proposed location, something would have transpired but not because of a stadium.

As it is, Tim Hortons Field hasn't had much/any impact on its neighbourhood - one nearby pub was renovated (or at least a fresh coat of paint was slapped on the exterior) and there's a new KFC, but that's about it to date. Oh and a new high school and rec centre were built across the street, but those would have happened regardless. Long-term evolution of that area will be about shifting trends in local economic development and real estate.

Windsor could use a larger multi-purpose stadium though. I do hope a CPL team takes root in the city.
The WFCU centre made little impact on the neighbourhood aside from traffic so I doubt a soccer complex will. New housing was already being built in the area. There's been some higher density projects though and an increase in retail developments a short drive outside the neighbourhood. My problem is we keep adding services and facilities outside of the core on very limited bus routes. I understand we are growing and east Windsor is booming but we need to make these places accessible to everyone if we are going to tuck them away in a suburban neighbourhood. The battery plant comes to mind, I don't think it even has a bus route at this time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario