HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 12:55 PM

New Divided TCH Sections will be P3

Last edited by Offshore1; Feb 15, 2024 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 12:12 PM

Anyone have access to Saltwire content and able to share details on this story?

https://www.saltwire.com/newfoundlan...ear-100951897/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:00 PM

“That process is still ongoing, but we're at the stage now that we almost have the tender ready to roll,” he said. “We want to see this done, obviously, in the shortest period of time as possible. In terms of timeframes, we are pretty well on schedule. We may have lost a few months in terms of getting the tender ready, but we'll pick that up in the spring.”

The final phase of the highway, expected to be completed by 2027, will connect the highway to Pitts Memorial Drive via a series of roundabouts and a realignment of a section of Brookfield Road. In 2023, the provincial and federal governments announced $30 million to complete the highway, with half coming from the feds and half from the province.

The first two phases of the project cost just over $70 million, so the overall cost for the highway will come in at about $100 million.

Of that amount, approximately $37.5 million was and will be covered by the federal government, leaving $63 million or so from provincial coffers.

Abbott said once the highway is completed it will have a significant impact on moving traffic from the north part of the city to the south and take pressure off some roads such as Brookfield Road and Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 7:05 PM

Unhappy TGH Tender

“We want to see this done, obviously, in the shortest period of time as possible. In terms of timeframes, we are pretty well on schedule. We may have lost a few months in terms of getting the tender ready, but we'll pick that up in the spring.”
Yes - funding announced last year and still no tender. Sure sounds like they want it in a hurry.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 12:51 PM

Danny Williams Suing City over Roundabouts

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in "Galway" ... anyway.
https://vocm.com/2024/04/29/danny-wi...supreme-court/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:58 PM

Good on him for doing that. The city wont pay to put roundabouts at intersections that already have accidents after accidents, but they want Danny to pay out of his own pocket. Show's you the people we elected wants to do things their own way instead of the citizens way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in "Galway" ... anyway.
https://vocm.com/2024/04/29/danny-wi...supreme-court/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:59 PM

New TGH/Pitts/Commonwealth Interchange

Last edited by jjavman; Jun 3, 2024 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:28 PM

Team Gushue Highway

Over a year ago Seamus O'Regan and the Provincial Gov. announced the finish of the TGH. June 2nd 2023.

June 2024 is almost over and not a shovel in the ground. Ridiculous

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Over a year ago Seamus O'Regan and the Provincial Gov. announced the finish of the TGH. June 2nd 2023.

June 2024 is almost over and not a shovel in the ground. Ridiculous
I am truly shocked.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I am truly shocked.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:19 PM

Back in March they said they were on track to start this year. I drives Brookfield road and the Goulds Bypass everyday and I don't see anything started

But in April, this was published in the Telegram "The final phase of the Team Gushue Highway construction is behind schedule and, according to documents obtained by The Telegram through an access to information request, the federal government appears to be part of what is holding it up."

Quote:

Last edited by NLResident; Jun 18, 2024 at 2:26 PM. Reason: Found more information

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLResident View Post
Back in March they said they were on track to start this year. I drives Brookfield road and the Goulds Bypass everyday and I don't see anything started

But in April, this was published in the Telegram "The final phase of the Team Gushue Highway construction is behind schedule and, according to documents obtained by The Telegram through an access to information request, the federal government appears to be part of what is holding it up."
On O'Regan's web page https://www.seamus.ca/news/connecting-communities
he touts the "roundabout corridors" as the interchange.

What a shame that they will make a bottleneck of 3 roundabouts in the middle of a 4 lane highway to connect to Pitts and Commonwealth

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:03 PM

Since when was traffic bad on Ruth Av when Smallwood drive had traffic some evenings go from Commonwealth Ave intersection all the way back to Park Ave intersection. Even if they just managed to get from Topsail Road to Brookfield road completed to help ease traffic from there for next winter.

Quote:

What a shame that they will make a bottleneck of 3 roundabouts in the middle of a 4 lane highway to connect to Pitts and Commonwealth

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:

We'll have a 4-lane divided highway.....with a reduced speed limit of 80, three roundabouts that will bottleneck everything.....and that's if it's ever finished. And it will somehow keep me off Ruth Avenue according to Seamus??????

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
We'll have a 4-lane divided highway.....with a reduced speed limit of 80, three roundabouts that will bottleneck everything.....and that's if it's ever finished. And it will somehow keep me off Ruth Avenue according to Seamus??????
It's going to be interesting to see how the traffic flows with the roundabouts, you've got a divided highway transitioning into a Super 2 with a speed reduction, that also interchanges another DH.

I think the engineering survey recommended a proper DH to DH interchange, but my guess is they would have never gotten funding for it (honestly, I question if the funding is actually there for the roundabouts).

Random though, but does anyone else wish we had a standardized term for Divided Highways? Like Freeway or Expressway, rather then calling everything Highways. I'm partial to the British Motorway, but maybe something unique to Newfoundland like Twinway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how the traffic flows with the roundabouts, you've got a divided highway transitioning into a Super 2 with a speed reduction, that also interchanges another DH.

I think the engineering survey recommended a proper DH to DH interchange, but my guess is they would have never gotten funding for it (honestly, I question if the funding is actually there for the roundabouts).

Random though, but does anyone else wish we had a standardized term for Divided Highways? Like Freeway or Expressway, rather then calling everything Highways. I'm partial to the British Motorway, but maybe something unique to Newfoundland like Twinway.
Speaking of Motorways.. roundabouts are quite common to find on them.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post

Seeing as how in it's wisdom the Transportation Dept. deemed the speed limit to be 80 kph on the existing TGH; I foresee the speed limit to change halfway down Brookfield section to 60 kph or even 50 approaching the roundabouts.

Might be a boon for radar cars and new traffic cams.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post

Ron.
Could be worse, I remember sections of Hwy 19 on Vancouver Island having a 120km/h speed limit but with at-grade intersections and lights.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post

Ron.
I've been on major divided highways with roundabouts down south. The one thing they all had in common was that the circle was massive.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I've been on major divided highways with roundabouts down south. The one thing they all had in common was that the circle was massive.
Exactly. Me as well. Also been on many in New Jersey that are in the middle of two lane road intersections. Also massive to allow speed to be maintained.

However, if you look at the proposed drawings (back in this thread); we'll have 3 similar size to Galway Entrance, in a 4 lane highway. Idiocy ... then again, it's not even started yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's