HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
a local junkie beat a guy into a comma.
That is nothing. I once saw a local junkie beat a guy into a Question Mark.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
A few days ago, a local junkie beat a guy into a comma. That man is now likely going to die. Unfortunately the perpetrator was released by the judge, and now its known that they are looking for him to charge him with ( likely 2nd degree murder ) .

Amazingly enough....... wait for it, he hasn't turned himself in. He was literally in custody and they let him go from the court room after the CROWN asked he be detained but the judge said no and let him go with out bail.

Another Kamloops judge let a 20 time repeat offender walk after they attacked 3 people in a Tim Hortons here a month ago. She told the attacker, " you need to clean your life up, I don't want to see you again". Same judge let a man go after putting his wife in the hospital ( after holding her against her will in a motel for 2 days ). He was released, went to the hospital and beat the crap out of her and a nurse. He was then given .... 2 weeks.

Why do any of us follow ANY laws? there is zero real repercussions it would seem to just doing what we want to.
Rhino, please change your signature to reflect something less overtly hostile to a political figure. This is something that we as moderators are encouraging from all members of the SSP community.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 10:09 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Try this one: RHINO is a bald-faced liar fomenting violence against judges.

This particular story might be exaggerated, or even entirely fabricated (I have no idea), but that it's even believable in the first place does speak to the relatively recent phenomenon of repeat violent offenders being granted bail or lenient sentences, only to be released and re-offend (ad nauseam).

Case in point: in BC, it's been estimated that just 204 prolific offenders were responsible for 11,648 “negative police contacts” in 2022, while a number of high-profile murders in recent years have been committed by repeat offenders or those released on bail. Which has subsequently led to a growing distrust of the criminal justice system amongst the public: polls have shown that most Canadians no longer trust the justice system to keep them safe - and subsequent calls from mayors & premiers of all political stripes to toughen bail & sentencing rules for violent offenders.

Views like those of RHINO would be much more relegated to the fringe if the system weren't failing.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Saskatoon is at 11 now. Brutal year so far.
Kind of weird how Saskatoon is having such a bad year while Regina is having such a good one with only 2 murders so YTD.

Both London & Windsor have yet to have their first.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:44 PM
sick transit, gloria

To add to what Monkeyronin said- this is a very worrying situation. I’m personally of the opinion we want to keep as many people out of jails pre-trial as possible. They are horrible places and apt to turn petty criminals into something much worse. I’ve seen it in person in my own family. There has to be a better way of identifying the seemingly small percentage of repeat offender's committing a significant percentage of violent crime.

The alternative of “lock everyone up” will probably have spin-off effects that nobody wants. But the status quo may lead in that direction as public perception shifts.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 11:32 PM

Last edited by JuelzJones; Jun 18, 2024 at 9:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
This particular story might be exaggerated, or even entirely fabricated (I have no idea), but that it's even believable in the first place does speak to the relatively recent phenomenon of repeat violent offenders being granted bail or lenient sentences, only to be released and re-offend (ad nauseam).
That is a real problem here in Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
To add to what Monkeyronin said- this is a very worrying situation. I’m personally of the opinion we want to keep as many people out of jails pre-trial as possible. They are horrible places and apt to turn petty criminals into something much worse. I’ve seen it in person in my own family. There has to be a better way of identifying the seemingly small percentage of repeat offender's committing a significant percentage of violent crime.

The alternative of “lock everyone up” will probably have spin-off effects that nobody wants. But the status quo may lead in that direction as public perception shifts.
The alternative is not working.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about the issue. And I'm not sure what the answer is. PP's answer will probably be to adopt a "lock them all up" policy using the notwithstanding clause, and that's not good.

We also really need to improve conditions in provincial jails. I have an extended relative by marriage who got in trouble with the law and actually pled guilty to a higher charge than he committed (even though he was innocent of it) just to get a long enough sentence to go to federal prison instead of provincial jail because the conditions are so horrible in the provincial system.

Perhaps if the conditions in provincial jails weren't so awful, we wouldn't have judges so unwilling to deny bail.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 5:46 PM

From yesterday.

Quote:
Significant rise in violent crime last year, police Statistical Report shows

There was a significant increase in violent crime and violent youth crime last year according to figures in the Winnipeg Police 2023 Statistical Report which was released Tuesday.

Violent crime rose 12.1% in 2023 as compared to the previous year. It was also a whopping 31.4% increase over the five-year average. However, overall crime went down 2.2% last year, although it was still 8.6% above the five-year average.
https://winnipegsun.com/news/crime/s...l-report-shows

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada