HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

another artical on it says they will be doing a series of consultations of where this should be and expect it to be a 20-30 labour of love built by community they are founding a corporation to facilitate this

https://www.grinningface.ca/vir458/t...733k1dcd12.php

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What does the article say? Is this somewhere out on McPhillips or downtown?
McPhillips, some North Winnipeg love for a change.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ anything they can do to make McPhillips better is great in my books.

Not for any particular reason - but it is my least favorite main drag in the City.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ anything they can do to make McPhillips better is great in my books.

Not for any particular reason - but it is my least favorite main drag in the City.
It's particularly ugly from Notre Dame to Kingsbury imo. No trees, parking lots seas.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow any one seen this headache in calgary happening right now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ures-1.7226393

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wow any one seen this headache in calgary happening right now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ures-1.7226393
First the Oilers, now this...

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Concert hall, museum restrict access due to increased security threat.
Drug use, vandalism, encampments public defecation cited.

By: Joyanne Pursaga Posted 5:35 PM CDT Thursday, Jan 6, 2024

Rising safety concerns have forced a major Exchange District complex to lock most of its exterior doors at all hours, reducing public access points to the Manitoba Museum and Centennial Concert Hall.

The Centennial Centre, which runs the Main Street complex that includes those buildings, told parkade patrons they will need to contact security on an intercom to gain access through exterior doors during business hours.

“There has been a significant increase over the past few months with vandalism, drug use, vagrancy and confrontations that are concerning. For the safety of all, we are putting the security measures in place,” a June 5 memo obtained by the Free Press states.

A tunnel entrance to the parkade will remain open.

“We’ve locked all the exterior doors during regular daytime hours. Our doors will be open for all events and our doors remain open to support the operations of the Manitoba Museum… For general access, the doors will remain closed unless there is an operational need for them to be opened up,” said Robert Olson, chief executive officer of the Centennial Centre.

Olson said security staff are being added at the 750,000-square-foot complex. Manitoba Museum doors will be open during museum operating hours, while concert hall doors will open two hours before each event.

“Over the evening hours, there’s a tremendous amount of drug use in and around our complex and we have a dedicated crew that comes in and cleans up… We are having multiple panes of very expensive windows broken and we replace them as quickly as possible… There’s a lot of public urination and worse in and around the campus,” he said.

In recent days, a staff member was physically threatened in the complex courtyard and one person used multiple spaces inside the building as a washroom, Olson said.
“We feel for the safety of the people that work inside our facility and, particularly, to minimize the damage… we have to basically control those access points,” he said.
Vehicles have been vandalized and a building window is broken about every other week, while encampments regularly pop up at the site’s loading bays, he said.
Officials are considering closing off the outdoor courtyard.

Olson said reducing public access to the facility was not an easy decision.
“(Since it was built in 1968), we’ve tried to keep this facility as accessible to the public as possible. We’re just feeling the pinch of some social issues,” he said.
David Pensato, executive director of the Exchange District BIZ, said the sprawling building has many entrances, which complicates efforts to secure it.

“It is sad and it is really unfortunate. Obviously, we would prefer things to continue to be open but every building owner has to make their own decisions,” said Pensato.
Most security incidents in the Exchange tend to happen overnight. There’s been anecdotal reports about property crime escalating over the past two months, he said.
Frequent defecation in and around the area has also been noticed, Pensato said.

“The only explanation I have for that is that people don’t have access to washrooms. We’re talking about people who are desperate in a variety of different ways,” he said, calling for greater co-ordination of social services.

He sees the challenges as an obstacle to the area’s post-pandemic recovery.
“There’s a positive and a not-so-positive story right now in the Exchange… We’re getting a lot more traffic in the Exchange… but we have these overnight challenges when there’s nobody around,” said Pensato.

In January, some Winnipeg city councillors spoke out about security concerns at the city hall campus, which is across from the concert hall on Main Street. Coun. Sherri Rollins said multiple security incidents, including a smashed external window in her office, stalking incidents and a mailroom threat, led her to deem the city’s security planning “grossly immature.”

While security staff are posted at the entrances to city hall and guests are required to check in, front doors generally remain open during business hours.

Rollins said the city’s newly hired corporate security manager, Wade Carriere, is best suited to answer whether the main city hall doors should be locked more often.

“When it comes to the safety and security and incidents in and around city hall and the additional measures that we need, that I expect from the CAO and the staff,” she said.
Carriere began the job May 27, city officials confirmed. He was not available for an interview on Thursday.

Rollins stressed Winnipeg is not alone as it faces these social issues, with downtowns across Canada also coping with open drug use, public defecation and urination, among other challenges.

Coun. Brian Mayes said the focus on safety at city hall has increased since he joined council in 2011, but he isn’t personally convinced the complex needs to lock its doors more often.

“I don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I don’t think we need any sort of lockdown at city hall. That could change if there’s some violence,” said Mayes.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
X: @joyanne_pursaga
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:22 PM
There is always a way

Our culture has a disease. No amount of social programs will fix this on their own. Look for this to get worse as time goes on, even as we increase the amount of money spent to try and remedy the problem. The amount of despair in society is high right now.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Our culture has a disease. No amount of social programs will fix this on their own. Look for this to get worse as time goes on, even as we increase the amount of money spent to try and remedy the problem. The amount of despair in society is high right now.
The crime severity index peaked in 2006 at 166.09 and has since fallen to 136.62 in 2022 (no data for 2023 yet).

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...101%2C20220101

Number of unhoused (sleeping outside) homeless people fell from 204 in 2018 to 123 in 2022 (most recent data).

https://endhomelessnesswinnipeg.ca/w...Report_Web.pdf
https://endhomelessnesswinnipeg.ca/w...nal-Report.pdf

Yes, there's crime in Winnipeg. There's changes that need be made to both the criminal code (to keep violent criminals off the streets) and to how we address the root causes of crime (poverty, abuse, etc.). But there's no need for the moral panic.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:11 PM

I think society and individuals have always had to deal with despair, but I think it's causes have certainly intensified over the years. The drugs that people have used to numb their pain have become much stronger, and are causing much more violent and unpredictable behaviour than in the past. Maybe this is just the old fart in me talking, but it seems the pressure to be dissatisfied with one's life (and thereby increase consumer spending) is ubiquitous these days, with social media constantly telling people they should change the way they feel, look and act. "Happiness is just a Peloton away" just doesn't work.

I agree that a combination of criminal code changes and addressing the root causes of crime and poverty will help. I point to some of the successes that places like the Bruce Oake Recovery Centre have had. I think we also, as a society, have to dial back the pressure to get and be more, more more. "Achievement" shouldn't just be defined by how much $$ one makes or how high on the ladder one has climbed. IMO "contentment" should not be a dirty word, implying laziness or lack of vision, it should be a perfectly appropriate goal for a lifetime.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 9:33 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lice-1.7228098
Quote:
Project Surge was launched in March in response to an escalation of random violence by youth, often tied to robberies.

Officers identified a group of 117 youths they say are responsible for 1,795 police incidents — including missing people reports, serious assaults, weapons offences and homicides — since 2023. Of those, 519 incidents have happened since March 2024, a police news release said Friday.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:42 AM

I am curious as to what other people think but it seems to me the city is/has actually changed/ing fundamentally for the better over the past few years? I don't think there has been this sheer quantity of Winnipeg-big projects in my lifetime save for new suburb development.

-Southwood Circle
-Parker Lands beginning to move forward
-The Bay/Portage Place redevelopment
-Empty lots filling/ conversions Downtown
-Polo Park developments planned / Northgate?
-Pembina beginning to densify noticeably
-Railside finally beginning
-P&M opening up
-Planned Little Forks
-True North Square

In addition to the TMP getting more sunlight than it ever would have in the past, and a top down rewrite of the Zoning Bylaws in the works, and all the other smaller projects not mentioned that are contributing to city building.

We still lag behind in some respects clearly, and certainly there is some adherence to the "Best and Cheapest" mantra that we love to define ourselves with. But it seems like we are on the precipice of progress that we haven't seen since the early 20th century and I feel like that is something that is going unappreciated.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDowntowner View Post
I am curious as to what other people think but it seems to me the city is/has actually changed/ing fundamentally for the better over the past few years? I don't think there has been this sheer quantity of Winnipeg-big projects in my lifetime save for new suburb development.

-Southwood Circle
-Parker Lands beginning to move forward
-The Bay/Portage Place redevelopment
-Empty lots filling/ conversions Downtown
-Polo Park developments planned / Northgate?
-Pembina beginning to densify noticeably
-Railside finally beginning
-P&M opening up
-Planned Little Forks
-True North Square

In addition to the TMP getting more sunlight than it ever would have in the past, and a top down rewrite of the Zoning Bylaws in the works, and all the other smaller projects not mentioned that are contributing to city building.

We still lag behind in some respects clearly, and certainly there is some adherence to the "Best and Cheapest" mantra that we love to define ourselves with. But it seems like we are on the precipice of progress that we haven't seen since the early 20th century and I feel like that is something that is going unappreciated.
I really think having a leader helps. Despite some problems, Mayor Gillingham has a vision (for better, ie density and helping the and is actually leading. I've been very impressed with the Mayor, especially compared to the previous two.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I really think having a leader helps. Despite some problems, Mayor Gillingham has a vision (for better, ie density and helping the and is actually leading. I've been very impressed with the Mayor, especially compared to the previous two.
A decent leader is half the battle for sure. I won't say that Gillingham has been a breath of fresh air but I certainly haven't been tempted to close the windows since the start of his term.

My optimism really arises from the sense that Winnipeg/ Manitoba as a whole is has an opportunity to capitalize on a few areas where we have traditionally (and rightfully so) been the butt of a joke or afterthought.

The stagnation over the past few decades has left us with an urban canvas begging to be painted, climate change starting to take the edges off of the dreaded "Winnipeg Winter". Our fly-over status and bad reputation in the zeitgeist has spared us from some of the affordability crunches that we are seeing elsewhere which I feel has left us in a great position to weather those challenges and even prosper.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:41 PM

Gillingham has been a pleasant surprise for me as well. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a provincial government to work with that isn't overtly hostile to the city, but his focus on downtown housing and civic reforms that deal with the city's social issues is, IMO, the best direction for Winnipeg right now. He seems to have been able to get most people pulling in the same direction.

I think it's important to keep on highlighting the improvements that city has made, and continues to make. It's not wearing rose-coloured glasses to give credit where credit is due. People need to see some sort of progress to maintain effort in a given direction, and constantly focusing on the negative just invites a "what's the point?" attitude.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 2:00 AM

Oilers tonight. Wow!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan