HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 9:29 PM

This is from the bridge website on how that last piece will be built.

https://www.gordiehoweinternationalb...x7_WPLYoz2FPoq

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:08 AM

Pattullo Bridge, built in 1937 is a beautiful but unfortunately crumbling bridge, that connects the cities of New Westminster and Surrey, BC. There is currently a major construction project ongoing to replace the old four-lane bridge with a new one.

It was a really nice sunny day to be walking around New Westminster shoreline and across the old bridge.

When the new bridge is completed next year, there will be in total four bridges across the river before the old bridge is demolished on the following year.

Traffic arrangements on the north end are starting to take shape.

Nearby Victoria Hill neighborhood has such awesome views, especially on a beautiful day like this.

The exiting bridge is way past its prime, having been completed 87 years ago. It is estimated that it could collapse in case of a major earthquake or during a freak storm.

Lougheed and Burquitlam skylines are looking pretty awesome, considering that a short 5 years ago there was no skyline to talk about.

City of New Westminster.

The center pylon has officially reached its peak height of 168 meters, which makes it the new landmark. I wish some nice lighting would be added to the new bridge once completed, but such things don't unfortunately happen in Vancouver.

First piece of road deck went up recently and there are going to be 80 cables to hold the entire road deck.

On south end, the new bridge will have an offramp connecting it with the Highway 17 that runs directly below it.

Brownsville Bar Park is not a very great park in itself, but it offers some nice views of the construction, as well as the other bridges crossing the river.

I have to admin, I am going to miss the old bridge, as it is pretty iconic part of our city.

The fourth crossing is a railway swing bridge that was built in 1904 and still operates today with no plans for a replacement.

And there you have it. It was a hot day to walk across the bridge and see it from different angles, but it was worth it to capture some photos to remember the old bridge once it will be gone. I hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 5:28 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
When the new bridge is completed next year, there will be in total four bridges across the river before the old bridge is demolished on the following year.

Very much enjoyed.

One of the interesting things about my trip to New Westminster a few years ago was the freight tracks separating the city from the Fraser River and how that had been overcome in places (e.g., bridges across the tracks)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 10:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

The Gordie Howe Bridge deck has been connected:

https://x.com/GordieHoweBrg/status/1...855818?ref_src

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 12:19 AM

Does anyone know if the government of Quebec has formally talked about a fixed link over the Saguenay River recently? I ask because I just saw that there is a project for one in ConstructConnect with the following description:

Quote:
Site work and paving for a bridge / tunnel in Baie-Sainte-Catherine, Quebec. Conceptual plans call for site work for a bridge / tunnel; and for paving for a bridge / tunnel.
Construction of a bridge over the Saguenay River between Tadoussac and Baie-Sainte-Catherine (Côte-Nord, Capitale-Nationale). TIMELINE: The studies are underway. Contract for consulting services to complete an impact analysis of the construction of a bridge over the Saguenay River on the operation of the Tadoussac crossing has been awarded to CPCS Transcom Ltd following request for proposals # 3404-21-ZZ03. Contract for consulting services to complete an opportunity study has been awarded following request for proposals # 3403-19-AA01. The cost and schedule will be specified once the planning stage is complete. Further update in winter, 2024/2025.
Looks like they are actively studying it right now.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:06 PM

Not super exciting compared to other of the bridges here, but a great new connection in Ottawa between Carleton University and Vincent Massey Park along Line 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Long-awaited Rideau River footbridge opening for business Saturday
After one false start, the long-awaited Rideau River bridge near Carleton University is ready.

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 13, 2024 • Last updated 4 hours ago • 1 minute read

This time, it’s official.

After one false start, the long-awaited Rideau River bridge near Carleton University is ready to go.

Coun. Riley Brockington announced the official opening on X, writing: “(Coun. Sean Menard) and I are pleased to invite you to celebrate the opening of the new Rideau River Pedestrian and Cycling Bridge, connecting Carleton University to Vincent Massey Park.”

The event begins at 11 a.m. Saturday.

The steel bridge has been under construction for more than two years. Once it’s officially open, the span will connect Carleton University and Vincent Massey Park.

It was meant to coincide with the reopening of an extended O-train Line 2.

No opening date for the Trillium Line, which is already two years behind schedule, has been set. Michael Morgan, the city’s director of rail construction, has said a start date in August or September is possible.

The new line will run between Bayview Station and Riverside South, with a spur to the Ottawa International Airport.

Back to that false start: In May this year, for undisclosed reasons, exterior rigging and other signage disappeared from the Rideau River pedestrian bridge site.

Social media did the rest. Pedestrians were almost immediately seen crossing the bridge.

New signage and barriers were re-established. And the bridge was kept closed.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...iness-saturday

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada