HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
The last time I was in Austin its skyline was nothing. I’m looking forward to seeing that one in person!
A little long but the camera work/drone flying is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN1PHqgnMEA

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 5, 2023 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
The last time I was in Austin its skyline was nothing. I’m looking forward to seeing that one in person!
Austin and Nashville currently have skylines of regions double their size.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post

Wow...that's one of the best I've seen. I especially like the views through the hills on the west side toward the end of the video.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 4:44 PM

Omaha is getting a new tallest, the Mutual of Omaha Headquarters:

A handful of nice blocks downtown too.

Omaha has to be one of the most overlooked cities in the country. I get that it's in the middle of nowhere (and a blood red state), but the city itself has a nice urban vibe especially by Great Plains standards.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Austin and Nashville currently have skylines of regions double their size.
Yeah, I would also throw Charlotte in there too. I think Austin's skyline is probably the biggest of those three, and the scale of it can rival the skyline of all except a handful of US cities.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Omaha is getting a new tallest, the Mutual of Omaha Headquarters:
And Omaha is only the 5th Midwest city to construct two buildings over 600' tall, after Chicago (55), Minneapolis (4), Cleveland (4), and Detroit (3).

It's definitely a skyline that punches above its weight on the upper end.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 7, 2023 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Omaha has to be one of the most overlooked cities in the country. I get that it's in the middle of nowhere (and a blood red state), but the city itself has a nice urban vibe especially by Great Plains standards.

I went to Omaha for a 3 day trip 5 years ago or so to see John Prine (RIP) and Conor Oberst (his hometown) play together. Show was rad but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the city. We stayed in the Benson area which has a nice main strip and explored a couple other neighbourhoods. Definitely underrated.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post

I’m still going to see it up close. If I had a dime every time I saw a skyline, and said, “wow, it’s a lot bigger in person!” Great video regardless! Thanks for the share!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 11:02 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
And Omaha is only the 5th Midwest to construct two buildings over 600' tall, after Chicago (55), Minneapolis (4), Cleveland (4), and Detroit (3).

It's definitely a skyline that punches above its weight on the upper end.
I think Omaha as a city is overlooked, and it's current and future tallest are both impressive buildings... but I personally think even with the new addition the skyline is all that impressive since outside those two it has exactly two buildings over 300 feet. But that's just me.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I went to Omaha for a 3 day trip 5 years ago or so to see John Prine (RIP) and Conor Oberst (his hometown) play together. Show was rad but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the city. We stayed in the Benson area which has a nice main strip and explored a couple other neighbourhoods. Definitely underrated.
My neighbor across the street is from Omaha. She moved here with her husband years ago. She loved living here until we became such a large, chaotic city with big city problems, so she's ready to move back to Omaha. I haven't been there, but I'd love to visit.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I think Omaha as a city is overlooked, and it's current and future tallest are both impressive buildings... but I personally think even with the new addition the skyline is all that impressive since outside those two it has exactly two buildings over 300 feet. But that's just me.
True, it doesn't have much of a supporting bench, but I stand by my statement that Omaha overperforms (relative to its Midwest peers) at the top end.

I mean, little old Omaha will soon have TWO towers that are taller than any of the buildings in cities like KC, St. Louis, Columbus, and Milwaukee.

Now, I consider the skylines of all 4 of those latter cities to be superior to Omaha's, overall, but that upper end height for Omaha still ain't nothing.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:17 PM

Omaha has the most top-heavy skyline in the country. Its upcoming tallest building is more than twice the height of the 4th tallest building, and its current tallest building (2nd on this diagram) is over twice the height of the soon to be 5th tallest building. 2 buildings over 600' but not a single other one over 500', and only 1 more over 400'. It's bizarre really.

Compared to my city of Boston, Omaha's tallest would be tied with our 6th, 2nd tallest would be our 7th, 3rd tallest would be our 28th, and 7th tallest wouldn't even crack our top 100.

Omaha by David Z, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:33 AM

At least there's a step-down from the fourth-tallest. Look at Oklahoma City's diagram for a crazy outlier at the top end.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Omaha has the most top-heavy skyline in the country. Its upcoming tallest building is more than twice the height of the 4th tallest building, and its current tallest building (2nd on this diagram) is over twice the height of the soon to be 5th tallest building. 2 buildings over 600' but not a single other one over 500', and only 1 more over 400'. It's bizarre really.

Compared to my city of Boston, Omaha's tallest would be tied with our 6th, 2nd tallest would be our 7th, 3rd tallest would be our 28th, and 7th tallest wouldn't even crack our top 100.

Omaha by David Z, on Flickr
It may be even more top heavy than you think. Number 4 and Number 7 aren't downtown so they aren't contributing to the CBD skyline.

One of my gripes with the new tallest is that it will block the views of the 3rd tallest, WoodmenLife Tower, from the most aesthetically pleasing angles of the skyline. Except for the upper decks at the baseball stadium, WoodmenLife Tower will not feature prominently anymore from the places where the skyline is best viewed and photographed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions