HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:07 PM

Royal Air Force demonstration team The Red Arrows announced a late summer visit to Canada to commemorate the RCAF 100th Anniversary. In addition to their airshow performances at CFB Greenwood, Toronto and London, they will be at the Gatineau airshow Sept 6, 7 and 8. They will also be doing a flypast over Ottawa on Sept 4 as they arrive in from Toronto. In their 2019 tour, they also travelled with an A400M Atlas transport aircraft as well, so odds are they will have one of these along this time as well.

The RCAF Snowbirds and the USAF Thunderbirds will also be performing that weekend, so this will be an incredible show to be at. And most of the performers will likely be based at YOW (Snowbirds might be on the ground at Gatineau as in years past).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:13 PM

If anyone is planning on flying the YOW-CDG route with AF over the next year or so, until March 10 you can sign up for this credit card and get a year of Flying Blue silver status, which gives a free checked bag, free seat selection and priority check-in and boarding. The first year annual fee is waived. Note the card itself doesn't have any of these benefits, just the status given upon signup.

https://brim.flyingblue.ca/card/signup_en_2

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:21 AM

I did a YOW<->FLL trip recently using Porter, some thoughts below:

* Booking - having a daily (currently 8x weekly) nonstop flight to South Florida is super convenient. Porter was slightly cheaper than Air Canada and had far more options for nonstop flights, it was a no brainer to book with Porter
* Parking - we had pre booked a parking spot at YOW's long term outdoor parking (P4) but when we arrived the entrance was blocked with a lot full sign. This actually worked out well as we parked at the indoor lot (P1) for no extra charge
* Check in / security / customs - The check in / baggage drop off time at YOW was <10 mins, the time getting through security and customs line was slightly longer, ~20 mins
FLL check in was much longer, I would say ~30 mins for check in, although security was quick (<15 mins). There appeared to be no benefit of checking in online as it's the same line up for everyone. It would be nice if Porter installed kiosks so we can print baggage tags and skip the line like Air Canada does at many airports
* Gate area - YOW was packed and didn't have many options for dinner so we chose to eat on the plane. Given the demand for transborder flights I hope YOW will expand the transborder section and add more food options. FLL had a restaurant and a few fast food places
* Flight Experience - We had a lot of turbulence on the flight to FLL. Seat belt sign was on >90% of the flight. In flight service was abruptly stopped so no meals were offered. My wife was hangry and kids were upset, although it turns out my toddler enjoys turbulence!? The flight attendants were cranky gossiping and complaining about passengers quite loudly. At one point they shamed a passenger for walking to the bathroom on the speaker, then a few minutes specifically told parents to stop taking their kids to bathroom. I understand the turbulence was bad but we felt it was unprofessional. The return flight to YOW was better but we still felt Air Canada has better service.

Overall Porter has definitely won me over with their non stop flights from YOW. I will prefer Porter going forward for domestic and Transborder flights. So long Air Canada and Star Alliance.

But the flight experience matters much more to my wife and her preference is still Air Canada. Although she did agree that given a non stop Porter flight versus an Air Canada flight with a connection she will choose Porter.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 9:52 AM

Random question but does anyone know if AF's A350s have their Bluetooth-enabled IFE screens? I'm determined to watch movies with noise cancellation on my upcoming flight, and don't want to end up stuck using the junk provided earbuds like I usually do. If no BT, which kind of adapter (if any) is needed for a 3.5mm jack? 2 prong or 3 prong? TIA, haven't been able to find consistent info online.

Edit: should've mentioned I'll be in Y if that matters.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:41 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

On my recent flights on the A350 it was possible to connect your mobile device to the IFE for use as a remote control, and to browse other info locally like the map and entertainment options. I did not see the ability to connect a Bluetooth device like Airpods etc. The headphone connection was a standard 3.5mm jack. They provided a basic pair of headphones of course, but I used my older Bose wired headphones.

I didn’t have a need to try, but presumably connecting your own device to the IFE (like a phone, tablet) allows you to stream movies etc. locally, thus allowing you to use your own wireless headphones.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:28 PM

You can also purchase a Bluetooth 3.5mm adapter and pair your earbuds with it! I have done this numerous times on AC flights. Just make sure it's an output one... and not an input (i.e., take sound from your phone and put it through car speakers via the aux mic port). You want to take the sound from the 'tv' and push/output it to your earphones.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:53 PM

Thank you both! The BT 3.5mm adapter is a great idea that I hadn’t considered.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's an interesting piece about Embraer:

Quote:
Why these Brazilian airplanes loved by passengers are conquering short-haul flying

By Julia Buckley, CNN
Published 9:52 AM EDT, Thu May 9, 2024

CNN — One man’s loss is another man’s gain, goes the saying – and as Boeing seems caught in a spiral of bad news, one aircraft manufacturer is quietly powering ahead.

Brazilian manufacturer Embraer, which specializes in smaller narrow-body passenger jets, has been clocking up major announcements, and will soon comprise the entire regional fleet of American Airlines.

And now, rumor has it that the company might be setting its sights even higher. A Wall Street Journal report last week suggested that Embraer – currently the world’s third largest aircraft manufacturer – was planning a new narrow-body jet that could “compete head-on” with the Airbus A320neo and Boeing 737 Max, which have cornered the global market.

<more>

https://www.cnn.com/embraer-airplane...ory/index.html

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 12:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Air Canada voted one of the worst airlines in North America
WestJet sat a little closer to the middle of the pack, coming in fifth out of seven for premium economy and seventh of 11 for economy

Christopher Reynolds, The Canadian Press
Published May 09, 2024 • 2 minute read

Air Canada ranks below most other major North American airlines on customer satisfaction, with airfares a particular sore point, according to a new survey.

The country’s largest carrier placed last in both business class and premium economy, the poll by consumer analytics firm J.D. Power found.

In economy class, Air Canada placed ninth out of 11 peers, beating budget carriers Spirit Airlines and Frontier Airlines.

WestJet sat a little closer to the middle of the pack, coming in fifth out of seven for premium economy and seventh of 11 for economy.

“With Air Canada, people were not as happy with the value for price paid,” said Michael Taylor, who heads J.D. Power’s travel division. That’s one of six factors rated by passengers, alongside other factors including digital tools, airline staff and onboard experience.

“They basically expected more for the cost of their tickets,” he said.

Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines notched the highest scores, a result Taylor attributed to their investment in staff training and recruitment.

“Flight attendants at Delta actually have these smartphones _ they call them ‘hand-helds,’ but they’re basically smartphones _ that let you see details of the guest in each individual seat and their history with the airline. So the staff can ask them how their trip compared to the last one or if their specific needs are met,” Taylor said in an interview.

“You can’t be nice to all 185 passengers on a plane. But you can be really nice to five or 10.”

Meanwhile, Southwest aims to “hire for attitude” and encourages cabin crew to let their personalities “shine through,” Taylor said. “Just let them be themselves instead of reading from a script.”

Air Canada pushed back against its low score, stating that it has earned high marks for service in various rankings.

“This is one of a number of customer-based rankings and it should be noted that in others, many that use much larger sample sizes, Air Canada has performed very well,” said spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick in an email.

He pointed to recent laurels for service, staffing and onboard entertainment from the Skytrax airline review website, the Trazee Travel site, its sister publication Global Traveler Magazine and the Airline Passenger Experience Association.

J.D. Power’s online survey polled 9,582 customers between March 2023 and March 2024.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 8, 2024.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canad...north-america/

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

WestJet delays integration of Sunwing to 2025
Both airlines will continue with 'business as usual' for winter flight schedules

Christopher Reynolds · The Canadian Press
Posted: May 21, 2024 3:12 PM EDT | Last Updated: May 22

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...elay-1.7210154

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Got thoughts on flying in Canada? The Competition Bureau wants to hear from you
Having only 2 major airlines and flight prices are key concerns for federal agency

Anis Heydari · CBC News
Posted: May 27, 2024 4:45 PM EDT | Last Updated: 42 minutes ago

The federal Competition Bureau says it's going to look the domestic air travel industry in Canada, and it's looking for input from Canadians as it prepares to study the market in the coming months.

The agency, which is tasked with enforcing competition law in Canada, said in a press release listing the reasons for its study that domestic airfare in Canada "appears to be relatively high" and that Canadians are filing more complaints about air travel recently.

The bureau also noted that domestic air travel is "concentrated" with only two major airlines — Westjet and Air Canada — and that new airlines seem to have difficulties joining the industry here.

"What we're trying to do here is study how competition is working in the sector, really with a view to making recommendations to government," said deputy commission Anthony Durocher.

"Why this matters is because we know that competition means lower prices, more choice, more innovation."

The Competition Bureau has asked Canadians to weigh on the upcoming study's terms of reference, essentially requesting public comment on the scope or potential limitations of the upcoming study.

The tentative, draft terms of reference mention that the bureau wants to answer questions, such as, "How can policymakers further support airline entry and expansion?" and, "How can policymakers further support consumers when shopping for airfares?"

The public has until June 17 to submit feedback, after which the bureau will finalize terms of reference and officially launch the market study, which is planned to be completed by summer 2025.

The report would make recommendations to government, but is not looking at any specific allegations of wrongdoing.

The Competition Bureau's draft for the study includes questions around whether Canadians would be willing to use "secondary or more distant" airports, but industry players point out one factor is they believe airport costs or rents in this country are too high, which is being passed on to customers.

"When you look at the cost of operating to a Canadian airport, relative to one in the US [or Europe], the airport fees are much higher here," said Garth Lund, chief commercial officer with Flair Airlines in Vancouver.

"The whole ecosystem in Canada is very expensive when it comes to aviation and airports are a big piece of that," said Lund, whose airline positions itself as a low-cost carrier. He called fees like that a "main contributing factors to higher airfares."

It's a message echoed by Westjet CEO Alexis von Hoensbroech, who told CBC Radio's The Calgary Eyeopener in an interview that "the government should actually stop collecting rent from airports" as one step toward addressing affordability.

However, in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, federal Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry François-Philippe Champagne suggested that the Competition Bureau's market study be "refined to focus on domestic passenger airline services rather than airport governance."

The study's terms of reference would have to be approved by the minister, and in draft form say they will not evaluate airport governance except where it relates to competition for Canadian passenger services.

The market study, which was first announced May 9, is the bureau's first since it gained new powers in December

"One of the important changes to our law, and it's something we've advocated for for quite some time, was the ability to compel information rather than just companies providing it to us voluntarily," said Durocher.

"Whether we're going to do it for this first study, I think remains to be determined."

He expects the Competition Bureau will make that decision after the market study officially launches in the coming months.

Over the past 13 months, newer low-cost carriers Swoop and Lynx Air have disappeared from the skies and WestJet scooped up Sunwing Airlines, with the latter two making up 72 per cent of seat capacity from Western Canada last year, according to the bureau.

In a statement emailed to CBC News, Westjet said, "Air travel is essential to our country and we welcome interest from all groups," with regard to this study.

Air Canada said it could not comment directly on today's announcement, as they are reviewing the draft.

With files from Reid Southwick, CBC Radio's Calgary Eyeopener, and The Canadian Press

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/com...tudy-1.7216100

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:06 PM

Looks like AC will begin offering free beer/wine to all passengers, according to this sassy FB post by Porter

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?i...57492583075355

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
Looks like AC will begin offering free beer/wine to all passengers, according to this sassy FB post by Porter

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?i...57492583075355
Indeed, free beer/wine and "premium snacks" on all TB/domestic flights, effective immediately through the end of 2024. Good sign that PD is indeed swaying pax away from AC.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:22 PM
Mooderator

Good to hear.. let's hope they don't make up the cost in some additional hidden fee somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I'm guessing that Westjet isn't going to be matching this for flyers in their new UltraBasic fare class

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7224417

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation