HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
IMO, the most obvious location for something like this is the old Hannemann Hospital.
I second the motion.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
What are you talking about? The city has proposed Fairmount, but has not actually moved anyone into that neighborhood for addiction treatment. That space is currently used as a shelter, but the city has done so well running it even the current residents didn’t know it was there per the Inky article. Where has there been needles lying around in Fairmount or addicts out on the street like Kensington? I know there was a Reddit post a week or two ago, but that looked completely staged even before they had moved any individuals into their proposed facility.
I didn't assume that the reporting from the neighborhood residents was "completely staged." The sources I read showed pics of the exterior of the facility and surrounding and it was anything but "so well run, the residents didn't even know it was there."

Do you have direct experience in Fairmont since the facility opened? It sounds like you do.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I didn't assume that the reporting from the neighborhood residents was "completely staged." The sources I read showed pics of the exterior of the facility and surrounding and it was anything but "so well run, the residents didn't even know it was there."

Do you have direct experience in Fairmont since the facility opened? It sounds like you do.
I wasn't the one who posted this but I have experience. I live in the area and bike by this building like three or four times a week. I don't speak for all residents but honestly I had no clue the shelter was even there. I always wondered what was in the building but honestly thought it was abandoned since I never saw anyone outside of it. Since the announcement I haven't noticed any changes and certainly no needles or drug paraphernalia on the ground. That's my experience

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:16 PM

Penn & Drexel will kill this idea in 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Towering drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility is proposed for University City

I count 37 floors, which would be somewhere in the vicinity of 440 feet, depending on floor height. Someone correct me if I miscounted.
Not a big fan of the blank curtain wall facing east (and also likely west), but the south facade is interesting.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:54 AM

I was baffled by this at first, but the more I think about it the more I understand how this can dovetail with our healthcare systems. The devil is in the details, of course, but I think negative impacts are being overstated. This isn't something like a needle exchange, or a shelter, it'd be a medical facility with medical professionals with patients and clients. Inpatient care wouldn't really even be noticed, since the patients are staying there inside full-time, and Acadia (the presumed provides) provides a wide range of mental health services. This could employ a lot of people, and maybe take some pressure off of our other health systems that are over-burdened with this kind of care, especially if they'll intake urgent/emergency patients

I think this is a decent location too, it's largely institutional, accessible, close to hospitals for potential transfers, and not many permanent residents. Maybe having the residential building as part of the plan will also push them to keep the area safe and clean for their student housing. For people who are worried about negative impacts, it's in the area with UPenn and Drexel police who keep the area well surveilled

But yeah, the development company's language is kind of insulting honestly, but that's a guy in real estate, not medicine. To this point, yeah maybe Hahnemann would be an even better location, but this is the land they own and are working with. The Hahnemann real estate is still in limbo afaik

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:10 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Build it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals