HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:13 PM

In that point douglas stadium plan. It should've been proposed at the end of the peninsula where the park is proposed. And the rest be the same type of urban neighbourhood. The east exchange would be bookended by dense areas.

They should still do the same now, minus the stadium. Might need to bulldoze some areas to do it though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:28 PM

I think it would be a good idea to build more apartments and condos in the area. They are needed and will be needed in the future.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Ahhh I see you have… no vision.
What vision!?

Canada Life Centre has been downtown for 20 years and the Jets have been back for 13 years.

45 home games for the Jets mostly averaging 15,000 per game
36 or 38 Moose games averaging 3 - 5000 per game
10 Winnipeg Sea Bear games averaging 5500 last season and probably 7000 per game this season
60 - 70 concerts and other events ranging from a few thousand per event to upwards of 16,000.

But sure, 10 Bomber games with 30,000 people, 14 Valour games with about 2,000 showing up and the occasional other event will somehow be the tipping point for all these additional restaurants and bars downtown.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
What vision!?

Canada Life Centre has been downtown for 20 years and the Jets have been back for 13 years.

45 home games for the Jets mostly averaging 15,000 per game
36 or 38 Moose games averaging 3 - 5000 per game
10 Winnipeg Sea Bear games averaging 5500 last season and probably 7000 per game this season
60 - 70 concerts and other events ranging from a few thousand per event to upwards of 16,000.

But sure, 10 Bomber games with 30,000 people, 14 Valour games with about 2,000 showing up and the occasional other event will somehow be the tipping point for all these additional restaurants and bars downtown.
lol. It was more than just a stadium, you’d know that if you read beyond what you responded to.

But I encourage you to look on google earth to a place called petco park. And the development around there. This easily could have been replicated at point Douglas… but like I said before.. NO VISION

And Again like Edmontons’s ice district, the point Douglas proposal would have been a new build in a reclaimed area.this is much more attractive to developers.

It would have been the catalyst for major change in the downtown core.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
lol. It was more than just a stadium, you’d know that if you read beyond what you responded to.

But I encourage you to look on google earth to a place called petco park. And the development around there. This easily could have been replicated at point Douglas… but like I said before.. NO VISION

And Again like Edmontons’s ice district, the point Douglas proposal would have been a new build in a reclaimed area.this is much more attractive to developers.

It would have been the catalyst for major change in the downtown core.
This is an opinion, not fact. Petco is in a city with 3 million people in one of the most desirable climates in the world. 80 games per season plus a handful of other events at 30000 or more people will attract more business than a football stadium that attracts 1/8 of the crowds during the year.

A stadium would not somehow make Point Douglas highly desirable - it's surrounded by poverty. And what would the remediation of the land have cost?

Asper's proposal was a pipe dream and only slightly more realistic than Dreamscape Winnipeg.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan