HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

On days like today, you begin to feel the effects of less local news content. Today, it took an hour on the Linc from Mud St to the other end to reach the 403.

I figured Hamilton is hosting the Canadian Opening, and therefore, local traffic is effed up. It seems like thespec even gutted the social media department. In the past, thespec would post something on Twitter about the traffic; nothing today. Now on Twitter they just repost their articles.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:43 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
On days like today, you begin to feel the effects of less local news content. Today, it took an hour on the Linc from Mud St to the other end to reach the 403.

I figured Hamilton is hosting the Canadian Opening, and therefore, local traffic is effed up. It seems like thespec even gutted the social media department. In the past, thespec would post something on Twitter about the traffic; nothing today. Now on Twitter they just repost their articles.
If you look on the inside of the first page of the paper they list the Spectators office as being on Spadina Ave in Toronto. It is no longer local.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:38 PM

They shut down their office and all staff work remote now. They do have local staff, just not an office.

It’s a skeleton staff though and most operations are combined with the Toronto star - Billing, Customer Support, etc. is all toronto based. Basically the reporters are the only local employees left.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:10 PM

Isn't this depressing, 178 years in the business and this is all they're working with now. Makes you wonder what can be attributed to changing media preferences, or just bad management.

From my perspective at least, I rarely find their articles engaging or worth reading now.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
Makes you wonder what can be attributed to changing media preferences, or just bad management.
It's sad, but I think it's mainly about conglomeration in the media sector, and the perspective that local "coverage" is a cost that is not worth the money, especially if some of that gets done by social media. So we start relying on the Joey Colemans for our Hamilton news.

We've seen many of our best and brightest and most creative media personalities either moved to Toronto-based networks (e.g., look how many news people who worked at CHCH are now at Toronto stations) or "retired"/let go (Steve Milton being a recent example, though he soon found a new home with the Tiger-Cats)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy