HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

On days like today, you begin to feel the effects of less local news content. Today, it took an hour on the Linc from Mud St to the other end to reach the 403.

I figured Hamilton is hosting the Canadian Opening, and therefore, local traffic is effed up. It seems like thespec even gutted the social media department. In the past, thespec would post something on Twitter about the traffic; nothing today. Now on Twitter they just repost their articles.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:43 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
On days like today, you begin to feel the effects of less local news content. Today, it took an hour on the Linc from Mud St to the other end to reach the 403.

I figured Hamilton is hosting the Canadian Opening, and therefore, local traffic is effed up. It seems like thespec even gutted the social media department. In the past, thespec would post something on Twitter about the traffic; nothing today. Now on Twitter they just repost their articles.
If you look on the inside of the first page of the paper they list the Spectators office as being on Spadina Ave in Toronto. It is no longer local.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:38 PM

They shut down their office and all staff work remote now. They do have local staff, just not an office.

It’s a skeleton staff though and most operations are combined with the Toronto star - Billing, Customer Support, etc. is all toronto based. Basically the reporters are the only local employees left.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:10 PM

Isn't this depressing, 178 years in the business and this is all they're working with now. Makes you wonder what can be attributed to changing media preferences, or just bad management.

From my perspective at least, I rarely find their articles engaging or worth reading now.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
Makes you wonder what can be attributed to changing media preferences, or just bad management.
It's sad, but I think it's mainly about conglomeration in the media sector, and the perspective that local "coverage" is a cost that is not worth the money, especially if some of that gets done by social media. So we start relying on the Joey Colemans for our Hamilton news.

We've seen many of our best and brightest and most creative media personalities either moved to Toronto-based networks (e.g., look how many news people who worked at CHCH are now at Toronto stations) or "retired"/let go (Steve Milton being a recent example, though he soon found a new home with the Tiger-Cats)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton's 900 CHML radio station, one of Canada's oldest, closes
Mayor says station had been in Hamilton for nearly 100 years and the loss is 'devastating'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...lton-1.7294411

Hamilton's largest radio news station — and one of Canada's oldest —has shut down.

The Global News station, 900 CHML, posted an announcement online about the closure on Wednesday. By early afternoon, the station was no longer on the air. Its parent company is Corus Entertainment.

"We want to extend our profound gratitude to all of our listeners, valued advertisers and community partners - thank you for your steadfast support throughout the years," read the statement posted to social media site X.

"Your loyalty and this community have been the foundation of our station's legacy and we deeply value the connection we've shared with you."

The station featured shows such as Good Morning Hamilton with Rick Zamperin, Hamilton Today with Scott Thompson and until 2023, the Bill Kelly Show.

According to archives from The Hamilton Spectator, the station opened in September 1927. The Government of Canada's website says there were 77 commercial radio stations on-air between 1922 and 1932, which would make CHML among the first in the country.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 10:18 PM

Brutally bad news. Local media in Hamilton is shrinking away.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 11:29 PM

Awful news. Operators (both Bell and Corus) have been closing stations nationally for the past couple of years so as much as this is surprising, it is, unfortunately, ultimately not surprising. It speaks to the increasingly desperate financial situation at Corus as much as it speaks to the health of the local media market (at least as it compares to similar markets). 900 was the leader in the market for many years -- as terrestrial radio has shrunk -- particularly on the AM side -- it was probably easier to imagine CHML being one of few remaining entities -- as opposed to the first to go. As a kid I toured the Main & Longwood studio (when it was shared by CHML and CKDS) -- hard to imagine Hamilton without CHML.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 12:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
Awful news. Operators (both Bell and Corus) have been closing stations nationally for the past couple of years so as much as this is surprising, it is, unfortunately, ultimately not surprising. It speaks to the increasingly desperate financial situation at Corus as much as it speaks to the health of the local media market (at least as it compares to similar markets). 900 was the leader in the market for many years -- as terrestrial radio has shrunk -- particularly on the AM side -- it was probably easier to imagine CHML being one of few remaining entities -- as opposed to the first to go. As a kid I toured the Main & Longwood studio (when it was shared by CHML and CKDS) -- hard to imagine Hamilton without CHML.
It's sad for sure. But I have to admit I haven't listened to AM radio in a long time, maybe for a few Ticats games if I was driving somewhere, but that's it.

I don't think FM is safe in the longer term either, though I do tend to listen to a handful of stations. The car I drive doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity but I do plan to get an adaptor that will let me listen to music playlists via my phone. When that happens, I'll probably drop off as an FM listener except for short trips when I won't bother with choosing my own music.

We're in an interesting time for "traditional" media.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's sad for sure. But I have to admit I haven't listened to AM radio in a long time, maybe for a few Ticats games if I was driving somewhere, but that's it.

I don't think FM is safe in the longer term either, though I do tend to listen to a handful of stations. The car I drive doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity but I do plan to get an adaptor that will let me listen to music playlists via my phone. When that happens, I'll probably drop off as an FM listener except for short trips when I won't bother with choosing my own music.

My work truck doesn't have bluetooth either, I just use the good old fashioned audio cable plugged into the Aux input (at least it's that modern to have the jack lol). Had to get a special one with the USB-C on the other end for my iphone.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 1:18 PM
Concerned Citizen

The only time I listen to am radio is for highway traffic reports on 680 heading to work on the QEW. Otherwise I have satellite radio which gives me exactly what I want without all the fluff and clutter of commercial radio.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 1:33 PM

I think local news is dying a slow death in Canada because these large corporations do not care about anything but their bottom line. Living in London and listening to AM980 we received a feed from AM900 for our "local talk". Instead of capitalizing on the need for local content, which people would actually tune into, it's just generic "talk" radio which I am sure helped lower the numbers. That in turn "justifies" the layoffs and closures. The model of running a business by only cutting costs is probably the first step in closing a business. It really sucks for those who want local talk and local news.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 12:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Geez, it's really something when you see an empty parking lot for the CHML building on Main St. I've never seen it empty before.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

I was really angry when TSN Hamilton went off the air.

Maybe I'm the dinosaur, but I like radio vs my own bluetooth for a few reasons. You alluded to not being bothered to choose something on a shorti trip. I like the radio for hearing new things that I wouldn't have found, but also really like morning shows, games and trivia, local news, traffic etc all coming to me passively.

Ads are annoying but I just cycle through a few stations and that problem's solved.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 6:08 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Geez, it's really something when you see an empty parking lot for the CHML building on Main St. I've never seen it empty before.
There are two others stations that still operate out of that building. They only lost a third of the operation.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 1:12 PM

820 CHAM and 1150 CKOC have changed their format this week after the sale from Bell was completed. 1150 is '70s & '80s and 820 is sometimes Latino and sometimes East Indian. There's no news reports that I've heard.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-classic-hits/
"Neeti Ray’s CINA Radio Group has closed on its purchase of three AMs in Hamilton and Windsor ON and has debuted new Classic Hits formats on 1150 CKOC Hamilton and 580 CKWW Windsor.

CKOC most recently carried Bloomberg business programming. It is now positioning as “Superhits of the 70s and 80s”. Kent Chambers, who most recently hosted afternoons at “Jewel 88.5” CKDX-FM Toronto, will be heard in mornings. Ro will host middays, and Scott Penfold will follow in afternoons. Penfold has worked across Ontario including a five years in afternoons at Classic Rock “Y108” CJXY-FM Hamilton from 2010-15.

CINA Radio Group is also acquiring 820 CHAM Hamilton, but has not yet set its plans for that signal."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy