HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:29 PM

Considering we all know the answer to the poll, perhaps the next poll I create will be "when will Winnipeg CMA hit 1,000,000 people?"

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I always did wonder what Calgary did with their homeless population since they dont seem to be very large or visible. Does Calgary have an abundance of shelter space or supports? Or lots of bus tickets to Edmonton and Vancouver?
The chopped down all the trees in the East Village where homeless people resided in tents. That was one of the most perplexing things I have ever seen a city do. As expected the homeless population just migrated to other parts of the city.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
These are valid concerns but none of the issues with these institutions are new. None of the problems just suddenly appeared 2 years ago when immigration levels increased. The problem is not "too many immigrants", the problem is that for 3 decades government has prioritized corporate welfare and corporate tax cuts over funding public services that Canadians need.
Yes well said - the roots are much larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here's the thing. In consulting engineering. I will make the same wage here as I would in Calgary or Edmonton. In theory, there are different wages for different locations. But not in reality for most people. There is no incentive for me to move to Alberta. I won't make more money there, except for the tax thing you mention. Not moving the needle for me.

The incentives for Calgary is that its so nice, there's no poor people, the have a train, they have oil. I could care less. If I'm moving somewhere in Canada, it's Montreal.
No poor people? 3x the homeless population of Winnipegs but less than 2x the population size

Calgary also has one of the largest population in the country that is one paycheque away from homelessness.

Quote:
Yeah Calgary is a hot choice for families but I can't see the draw for young people, other than jobs obviously. Otherwise it's not a great city to be a 20-something in. Unless you're from the prairies and want to stay close to home I can't see why any young person would pick Calgary over Montreal. Even somewhere with a ski bum culture like Golden would be more fun than Calgary IMO.
It’s definitely more of a draw for younger families (relatively speaking; more young families live in the GTA than Edmonton Calgary Winnipeg combined) but a lot of the hype around the city depends where you’re from. If you live in the prairies is the biggest nicest city; if you are from other parts of Canada it’s not really on people’s radar unless they have to move there for work or due to affordability concerns…tends to be the preferred destination but people would be surprised how often Edmonton and to a lesser extent Winnipeg are also on those lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Having been to Calgary many times myself, the draw is their super modern infrastructure and facilities, 45 craft breweries, 150 off leash parks, one of the most expansive bike path networks in North America, and of course the endless recreational opportunities in The Rockies nearby.
Having lived in Calgary for a while myself it’s got a lot of pros, but it’s not for every body. It’s overrated by people in prairies I find. From a North American perspective or even globally it’s a great city but cold in the winter, ugly yellow grass everywhere most of the year (when it’s not snow) and it’s still pretty small

People that are born and raised there often leave; while there are many who are proud of the growth and progress it’s made over the years there’s a lot of people who find it just a place they grew up and leave for other pastures

Not everyone owns a dog so off leash parks aren’t on everyone’s radar. The bike network for example isn’t exclusively separated pathways. Parts of some Trails are yes. The galloping goose trail is far nicer than any bike trail In Calgary imho. Craft beer isn’t for everyone and not all of those 45 spots are exceptional. The Rockies are one of the best parts of the country but they do not have endless recreational activities - fishing for example isn’t accessible the same it is in lake Manitoba. Heck even the mountains - if you live in Edmonton it’s a 4 hour drive. In Calgary, depending where you live in the city, 1-2 hours. It’s not “around the corner” anymore than lake Winnipeg is from Winnipeg

I’m just saying, yes it’s nice but perplexingly overhyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's the mountains. Everyone talks about the mountains. All the other stuff is a bonus.
Again, prairie centric. If people value mountains that are next door, BC is a good province for that, as are multiple states further south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I don't want to crap on Calgary because it's an amazing city but it definitely lacks character. It's got no soul and feels decidedly sterile. I prefer Winnipeg for quality of life so long as crime isn't included in that equation. But, alas, money is money and I the draw was too great so Alberta is where I ended up. I can't say I regret it in any way but I miss Winnipeg's charms often enough. The food in Winnipeg is definitely better. The greenery is somehow more pronounced and lush. There's just more character.
Calgary does have a “blandness” to it, but it is a nice city. Sterile is a good way to put it. It’s improved a lot over the last few decades though. Lots of youth do leave, but it also has a large (larger?) influx of young people from other provinces so it balances out.

Winnipeg has one of the best food scenes in the country, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Edmonton and Calgary (especially so) are much better connected cities with their air routes than Winnipeg. Calgary has non-stop flights to every province (including to every provincial capital) and to Yukon and NWT; flights to Asia (Tokyo and Seoul); flights to 28 US destinations; and flights to 10 European destinations. For a city of its size, Calgary certainly punches above its weight with its air connectivity.
Agree, Calgary punches above its weight. The airport is super well connected and actually within the city limits.

Leduc county is a rural municipality that has a shockingly great airport. Edmonton’s airport is quite limited though, as it’s not really operational and is a developing community known as Blatchford now

(yes I am being tongue in cheek purposely lol - I dislike airports that are too far out of the way relative to city size like Edmonton and victoria especially if they are poorly connected)

Quote:
You sound triggered. Keep your head in the sand like an ostrich. Winnipeg and Manitoba have a net loss with respect to inter-provincial migration. A prudent approach would be to address the reasons why. But, folks like you in your Winnipeg bubble think everything is grand.
Don’t disagree with approaching addressing various reasons why but Winnipeg bubble is a bit high and mighty. Canada itself has a lot of pros but objectively it’s hard to look at half the year being cold dark wet or dreary as attractive when there’s a whole world beyond Canadas boundaries - as if the winnipeg bubble is the only bubble lol. There is also the Calgary bubble or the Alberta bubble. Or the lower mainland bubble or the bc bubble. Heck the Montreal or Quebec bubble or GTA or even downtown toronto bubble…we all have our bubbles

Yet people will act like Edmonton or Calgary are some Paris relative to Winnipeg which I find laughable - they share so much in common they may as well be the same place to someone from Brisbane or Singapore

Every city has its pros and cons, and yes even Winnipeg has its strong points that don’t get enough recognition

Last edited by roccerfeller; May 27, 2024 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Leduc county is a rural municipality that has a shockingly great airport. Edmonton’s airport is quite limited though, as it’s not really operational and is a developing community known as Blatchford now

(yes I am being tongue in cheek purposely lol - I dislike airports that are too far out of the way relative to city size like Edmonton and victoria especially if they are poorly connected)
I can agree on this. If one wants to go to Edmonton, after arriving at the International Airport, it's a $60 cab ride to the beginning of the LRT, or $100 in some areas of the city. Transit service to and from the airport is spotty as well. I was fortunate enough to live in Leduc for two years, where I only had to shell out $25 for a ride to the airport.

Quote:
Yet people will act like Edmonton or Calgary are some Paris relative to Winnipeg which I find laughable - they share so much in common they may as well be the same place to someone from Brisbane or Singapore
Edmonton, in particular, is very similiar to Winnipeg. Both are provincial capitals. Both are mainly blue collar towns. Both have nearly identical demographics (large Ukrainian, Filipino, and First Nations populations). Both are home to the most left leaning areas of their respective provinces.

I actually prefer Winnipeg over Edmonton, as I consider Edmonton to be pretty dull.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My guess would be 27/28
2023 - 910
2024 - 935
2025 - 955
2026 - 975
2027 - 995
2028 - 1,015
I have noticed that for the most part, growth is accelerated. As the population increases, the annual increase becomes larger. People have said once a million is reached, there is a boost in population growth. If the economy is still doing relatively well.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgJetsICE View Post
Why do you care so much about what goes on in Winnipeg?
He doesn't. All his posts regarding the city are demeaning and condescending towards the city and citizens. He has never once posted anything positive about Winnipeg or Manitoba. He's simply here to troll.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My guess would be 27/28
2023 - 910
2024 - 935
2025 - 955
2026 - 975
2027 - 995
2028 - 1,015
2027 or 2028 is my guess as well.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I have noticed that for the most part, growth is accelerated. As the population increases, the annual increase becomes larger. People have said once a million is reached, there is a boost in population growth. If the economy is still doing relatively well.
I would guess one factor for this would be that younger couples from Asian and African countries are having more babies since they may not fully understand the costs associated with having children.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I would guess one factor for this would be that younger couples from Asian and African countries are having more babies since they may not fully understand the costs associated with having children.
WOW. You constantly spout off about people "hating Winnipeg and its citizens"; yet you post this racist tripe. Curious, which Asian and African countries are you referencing.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 12:21 PM

The comment wasn't intended in the context you claim, however nice try to deflect and twist my words around. Maybe you should go and pollute another city's threads with your negativity and city bashing as you do here and see what the local posters reactions are. Constructive criticism is good and leads to healthy discourse. Your comments achieve none of that since you don't care about the city whatsoever.

Anyway, this thread has been detailed enough so I won't be replying to Oddballs anymore.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The comment wasn't intended in the context you claim, however nice try to deflect and twist my words around. Maybe you should go and pollute another city's threads with your negativity and city bashing as you do here and see what the local posters reactions are. Constructive criticism is good and leads to healthy discourse. Your comments achieve none of that since you don't care about the city whatsoever.

Anyway, this thread has been detailed enough so I won't be replying to Oddballs anymore.
Would you like a tissue? Can't accept that you posted a racist comment. The dated racist stereotypes are so evident in your comment. Not surprising given Winnipeg was named the most racist city in Canada. You reflect it well.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
it's better to just put him on ignore. he has gone out of his way constantly since he moved away to come on here and bash this place every chance he gets. people need to quit quoting him so i don't have to see his posts as well lol
I find it pretty sad, the people who leave here and then spend every waking moment coming back and shitting on this place because they need some kind of validation about how they're so superior for leaving or something. Like somebody who went through a breakup 3 years ago and still bashes their ex non-stop because they're clearly not over them lol. Their whole identity becomes "ex-Winnipegger", it's like they're so bored and unaccomplished that they need to cling to the idea that they've accomplished something monumental by moving.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
I find it pretty sad, the people who leave here and then spend every waking moment coming back and shitting on this place because they need some kind of validation about how they're so superior for leaving or something. Like somebody who went through a breakup 3 years ago and still bashes their ex non-stop because they're clearly not over them lol. Their whole identity becomes "ex-Winnipegger", it's like they're so bored and unaccomplished that they need to cling to the idea that they've accomplished something monumental by moving.
Exactly. Proof positive that moving to a "better" place doesn't suddenly make you a better person. No matter where you go, there you are.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
WOW. You constantly spout off about people "hating Winnipeg and its citizens"; yet you post this racist tripe. Curious, which Asian and African countries are you referencing.
Now hold on a second there. I personally have worked with dozens of Filipinos in the last decade. Been to many of their homes and events, gotten along fabulously with many and consider some of them personal friends. There have been plenty of times I have been told by couples, most of whom are young, that they wished they had 'slowed down' their family growth because of expenses. It's not just some trope, and while it may indeed be racial, it it hardly racist to note such.

As for Winnipeg being the most racist city in Canada, even if some jackass writer from out east says so, that isn't necessarily true.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
Now hold on a second there. I personally have worked with dozens of Filipinos in the last decade. Been to many of their homes and events, gotten along fabulously with many and consider some of them personal friends. There have been plenty of times I have been told by couples, most of whom are young, that they wished they had 'slowed down' their family growth because of expenses. It's not just some trope, and while it may indeed be racial, it it hardly racist to note such.
This just in, Catholics have babies. Thank God they do, we're seriously hitting a demographic wall when it comes to births. We need a minimum of 2.0 births per woman to sustain (not grow) the population, nationally we're sitting at around 1.4.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:38 PM
Back from the dead

I wouldn't get too optimistic with the population projections, there, and it's unlikely Winnipeg will hit a million before 2030.

Most of the current population boom is due to Trudeau's "take in as many immigrants as the planes will carry" philosophy. Pushback is heating up in a big way because of the housing crisis as well as the erosion of the standard of living. This growth won't and can't last. It won't last because it's destroying the middle class and quality of life for everybody under 40. The next government, whoever it winds up being, will not repeat the mistake the Liberals are making here. They're digging a hole so deep it's going going to take them a very long time to climb out of. Anybody paying attention knows that this level of immigration is completely unsustainable. We've hit our capacity already and even if we were to halt all immigration tomorrow, our situation would continue to get worse due to legacy factors and the government's total inaction on dealing with the current crop of crises.

This current bump in population growth will likely continue for a little while longer but it's unlikely to go past the next election if it even lasts that long. It could be sustained if the government comes up with a plan to get people into homes and increase wages but that's unlikely. The Liberals are far too entrenched with their corporate interests to change tack. It's almost ironic that the LPC is the new CPC. Makes me somewhat fearful of what's going to happen when the CPC takes over late next year.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
They can't quit the motherland, clearly.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Would you like a tissue? Can't accept that you posted a racist comment. The dated racist stereotypes are so evident in your comment. Not surprising given Winnipeg was named the most racist city in Canada. You reflect it well.
I always found that Macleans article you reference from ages ago to be complete garbage. Maybe it's the circle I surround myself with in Winnipeg but everyone I know from Toronto teaches me all kinds of racist lingo I didn't even know existed. It's quite shocking. It's clear to me that Toronto is far more racist than any place in Canada I've been to. It's actually not even close.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:

That is not really correct.

lol...sorry your post is unintentionally hilarious for all the wrong reasons...

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 28, 2024 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Not surprising given Winnipeg was named the most racist city in Canada. You reflect it well.
Winnipeg is NOT the most racist city in Canada. Some Macleans writer wanted click bait, and made this up. She said she noticed "tweets that she considered racist" supposedly coming from Winnipeg. She also fails to mention that two of the Indigenous woman that felt threatened downtown, were actually trying to get away from Indigenous men, but the author implied that they were Caucasion.

Anyone who takes Macleans magazine serious needs to get out more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan