HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Wow Septa opened the lower level of the BSL at NRG last night after the Phillies games? They ran express trains apparently from there. To my knowledge they haven't used this platform in 10+ years?

https://x.com/bicycleriiights/status...59073653895297
I’ve never actually seen it in use and I’ve been here since 2007? I remember wondering why they didn’t open it up during the Phillies parade in ‘08. There were 1mm people on Broad Street and the subway platforms were 40 people deep. If they weren’t going to use it for that I figured they’d never open it up again…

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:59 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I’ve never actually seen it in use and I’ve been here since 2007? I remember wondering why they didn’t open it up during the Phillies parade in ‘08. There were 1mm people on Broad Street and the subway platforms were 40 people deep. If they weren’t going to use it for that I figured they’d never open it up again…
i hope there is a guerilla team of engineering nerds who just sneak into infrastructure in the middle of the night and take care of the things Philly won't...

...though if there was a group like that, they'd probably be on this board already.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:23 PM

So much action around 2nd and Spring Garden, the whole area will feel completely different soon

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:43 PM

^ Everything down Spring Garden and onto Del Ave is on fire. They need to keep the higher density going and let everything between Vine and Spring Garden stay 10+ stories. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen any 30+ stories proposals make it to build yet given the housing shortage.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 6:45 PM
Philly Pholly

Mayor Parker thinks Philly can learn something from the Atlanta Braves — about mixed-use development

the Battery by , on Flickr

Clout suggested to the mayor that the Battery looks an awful lot like the Comcast Spectacor proposal for South Philly.
She didn’t disagree.

“Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit,” she said.
“Where I sit, I want to see as much economic opportunity as possible here in the city of Philadelphia, so I don’t view projects as competing against one another.”

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/cl...-20240524.html

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:26 AM

Anyone see this? https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...st-year-124348

Looks like a lot of optimism that all of the new units in the Riverwards/NoLibs will be absorbed. The vacancy rate is also still declining which is good but concerning. Hopefully we will see denser projects below Lehigh and new infill above Lehigh.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^ Everything down Spring Garden and onto Del Ave is on fire. They need to keep the higher density going and let everything between Vine and Spring Garden stay 10+ stories. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen any 30+ stories proposals make it to build yet given the housing shortage.
Housing shortage? Where'd you read that? Pretty sure we have a little bit of an over supply of apartments if anything. But still agree with your sentiments

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Housing shortage? Where'd you read that? Pretty sure we have a little bit of an over supply of apartments if anything. But still agree with your sentiments
US, in general, has a shortage of new homes to buy. Given apartment rates are ticking up again in the city, some extra supply would go a long ways in terms of helping the market become more affordable.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:01 PM

Paywall, but this has Philly ranked as the #4 life sciences hub:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-rankings.html

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Paywall, but this has Philly ranked as the #4 life sciences hub:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-rankings.html
Top 10:

1. Boston
2. San Francisco Bay Area
3. San Diego
4. Philly
5. New Jersey (longtime epicenter of Big Pharma)
6. New York City
7. Seattle
8. Raleigh/Durham (i.e., the Research Triangle)
9. Suburban Maryland (home of NIH, etc.)
10. Chicago

Last edited by Philly Fan; May 26, 2024 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:31 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

New Speed Bumps have been added to Delaware Ave by the piers.

Ive said it for years that if Philly needs to add speed bumps across the whole city just like NYC does, and now we finally are.

Shout out to Penn Dot, Streets & Mayor Parker for Bringing the city into the 21st Century

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Top 10:

1. Boston
3. San Diego
4. Philly
6. New York City
7. Seattle
10. Chicago
Pretty impressive when you consider the Philly-NJ-NYC corridor acts as one giant center. I knew people in CC that commuted to some big pharma companies in central NJ. Juggernaut when you look at the combined area.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:39 AM

2300 Market by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:42 PM

Thanks for the photo updates, TK.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Top 10:

1. Boston
3. San Diego
4. Philly
6. New York City
7. Seattle
10. Chicago
I'm hoping that you wrote "Philly" and the article didn't refer to the City/Area like that in the rankings.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
New Speed Bumps have been added to Delaware Ave by the piers.

Ive said it for years that if Philly needs to add speed bumps across the whole city just like NYC does, and now we finally are.

Shout out to Penn Dot, Streets & Mayor Parker for Bringing the city into the 21st Century
The pace of installation has increased recently. My brother moved to MD 3 years ago and was commenting (in a negative way) on all the speed humps in Philly now. I get the sense that public sentiment has shifted and people are somewhere between ambivalent and happy to see them, but less people are against them than in the past. I tried to get them on my street and several neighbors were opposed.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:08 PM

https://www.audacy.com/kywnewsradio/...t-fare-jumpers

"Revenue has doubled at 69th Street station since SEPTA installed gates that hinder fare-jumpers, officials say"

Okay I've seen enough, stop the pilot and immediately start installing these EVERYWHERE. I know they're broke but this is a massive solution for the L. It generates revenue while keeping addicts off. Septa's goal shouldn't be cleaning the trains more and removing homeless, it should be limiting them from ever getting on in the first placce. If someone gets on at Somerset, camps out, litters trash and needles, it gets cleaned at 69th street station. The goal is to limit it from ever happening.

I was always positive that Septa's fare evasion estimates were low. When I ride the L, I see about 50% of people pay and that's exactly what 69th street station pilot has proven.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:14 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
The pace of installation has increased recently. My brother moved to MD 3 years ago and was commenting (in a negative way) on all the speed humps in Philly now. I get the sense that public sentiment has shifted and people are somewhere between ambivalent and happy to see them, but less people are against them than in the past. I tried to get them on my street and several neighbors were opposed.
People oppose speed bumps because it actually makes you slow down, that is unless you want to decrease the life span of your struts and wheels hubs

It's an easy cheap solution to slow people down, the more we add the more people get used to them, also they keep everyone safe, the speeding issues in the city are a problem because the city is so dense.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:

"Revenue has doubled at 69th Street station since SEPTA installed gates that hinder fare-jumpers, officials say"

Okay I've seen enough, stop the pilot and immediately start installing these EVERYWHERE. I know they're broke but this is a massive solution for the L. It generates revenue while keeping addicts off. Septa's goal shouldn't be cleaning the trains more and removing homeless, it should be limiting them from ever getting on in the first placce. If someone gets on at Somerset, camps out, litters trash and needles, it gets cleaned at 69th street station. The goal is to limit it from ever happening.

I was always positive that Septa's fare evasion estimates were low. When I ride the L, I see about 50% of people pay and that's exactly what 69th street station pilot has proven.
+1. This is such an obvious necessity it almost doesn't need to be said.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:

Yep, when I wait at a center city stop, it's 50% paying at best. Even worse, it's included well dressed people with shopping bags who can obviously pay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development