HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Yeah Calgary is a hot choice for families but I can't see the draw for young people, other than jobs obviously. Otherwise it's not a great city to be a 20-something in. Unless you're from the prairies and want to stay close to home I can't see why any young person would pick Calgary over Montreal. Even somewhere with a ski bum culture like Golden would be more fun than Calgary IMO.
When I was young, I never saw the appeal of Calgary either. I moved to Montreal and loved it. I lived there for 6 years but, as a born-and-raised westerner, I grew tired of the never-ending language politics. It's still Québec after all. I ended up moving to Vancouver for several years until I got priced out.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:39 PM

Having been to Calgary many times myself, the draw is their super modern infrastructure and facilities, 45 craft breweries, 150 off leash parks, one of the most expansive bike path networks in North America, and of course the endless recreational opportunities in The Rockies nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
When I was young, I never saw the appeal of Calgary either. I moved to Montreal and loved it. I lived there for 6 years but, as a born-and-raised westerner, I grew tired of the never-ending language politics. It's still Québec after all. I ended up moving to Vancouver for several years until I got priced out.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:44 PM

It's the mountains. Everyone talks about the mountains. All the other stuff is a bonus.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 8:50 PM

Yeah but like I said, that's great for families, not so much younger people. Recreation in the rockies usually isn't cheap. Lots of young people don't own a car and don't want to. If you're young and you want to be in the mountains you'd be better off in a ski town. Buy a lift pass and a mountain bike, find a buddy who can give you a ride up the mountain and you're set. Walk over to the bar afterwards.

From Calgary you need to drive out to the mountains which means buying a vehicle big enough to carry your skis, bikes and whatever else. Buy gas for a 4-hour round trip. And if you want nightlife after that you either have to drive 2 hours back to the city or rent a very pricey room wherever you're skiing/biking/whatever.

Great day trip options for a family. Not necessarily the best for someone in their early 20s.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:37 AM
Back from the dead

I don't want to crap on Calgary because it's an amazing city but it definitely lacks character. It's got no soul and feels decidedly sterile. I prefer Winnipeg for quality of life so long as crime isn't included in that equation. But, alas, money is money and I the draw was too great so Alberta is where I ended up. I can't say I regret it in any way but I miss Winnipeg's charms often enough. The food in Winnipeg is definitely better. The greenery is somehow more pronounced and lush. There's just more character.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The greenery is somehow more pronounced and lush. There's just more character.
We get way more precipitation than Alberta and there is far more groundwater/subterranean water in Manitoba on account of us being the basin for one of North America's largest watersheds, that's why we flood most years. Generally, in Western Canada and the Northern half of the US (E of the Rockies) the further North and East you go, the greener it is due to water availability. You can see this in real time of Google Earth. One of the great blessings of Manitoba is our mind boggling reserves of water. Give it another 5-10 years the way things seem to be going and Alberta might start resembling Kansas and the Southern Mid-West a lot more closely.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 8:14 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
We get way more precipitation than Alberta and there is far more groundwater/subterranean water in Manitoba on account of us being the basin for one of North America's largest watersheds, that's why we flood most years. Generally, in Western Canada and the Northern half of the US (E of the Rockies) the further North and East you go, the greener it is due to water availability. You can see this in real time of Google Earth. One of the great blessings of Manitoba is our mind boggling reserves of water. Give it another 5-10 years the way things seem to be going and Alberta might start resembling Kansas and the Southern Mid-West a lot more closely.
Yeah, I'm always somewhat surprised at how barren the landscape is between Swift Current and Calgary.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I don't want to crap on Calgary because it's an amazing city but it definitely lacks character. It's got no soul and feels decidedly sterile. I prefer Winnipeg for quality of life so long as crime isn't included in that equation. But, alas, money is money and I the draw was too great so Alberta is where I ended up. I can't say I regret it in any way but I miss Winnipeg's charms often enough. The food in Winnipeg is definitely better. The greenery is somehow more pronounced and lush. There's just more character.
Edmonton and Calgary (especially so) are much better connected cities with their air routes than Winnipeg. Calgary has non-stop flights to every province (including to every provincial capital) and to Yukon and NWT; flights to Asia (Tokyo and Seoul); flights to 28 US destinations; and flights to 10 European destinations. For a city of its size, Calgary certainly punches above its weight with its air connectivity.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 4:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
I mean if you say so. Every single person I've ever personally known who moved away from here did it for jobs and lifestyle (aka transit, walkability, nightlife, etc). Literally never heard anyone mention income tax, or roads for that matter. Could be a generational thing, frankly no disrespect but it's younger people we need to keep here. And they move for jobs and lifestyle, not tax brackets.
I said one of the reasons I left. Also a true international airport nearby, lower crime, short warm winters and lots of beautiful roads in our county with many great destinations for summer road trips. Most of all we were tired of Winnipeg's filth.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I said one of the reasons I left. Also a true international airport nearby, lower crime, short warm winters and lots of beautiful roads in our county with many great destinations for summer road trips. Most of all we were tired of Winnipeg's filth.
I always did wonder what Calgary did with their homeless population since they dont seem to be very large or visible. Does Calgary have an abundance of shelter space or supports? Or lots of bus tickets to Edmonton and Vancouver?

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
...but apparently not tired of trying to sell your negative opinions of Winnipeg to people who live there.

Seriously, folks are allowed to like or dislike whatever they want. If you moved to Ontario and love it, good for you, but stop trying to recruit people into your hate crusade for your old home town. We're quite capable of making our own decisions about where we live, and one of them is to stay and try to improve the place rather than run away to perceived "greener pastures" and infer superior intellect for doing so.

In short, no-one but you cares about your hate. Have a nice day.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
If you hate Winnipeg so much then why are you posting in a Winnipeg/Manitoba forum?

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 7:26 PM

it's better to just put him on ignore. he has gone out of his way constantly since he moved away to come on here and bash this place every chance he gets. people need to quit quoting him so i don't have to see his posts as well lol

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
it's better to just put him on ignore. he has gone out of his way constantly since he moved away to come on here and bash this place every chance he gets. people need to quit quoting him so i don't have to see his posts as well lol
"Ignore" it is......Ahhhhhh...I feel SO much BETTER! Thanks!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:02 AM

Quote:
I think there's a place somewhere else you can spew your negativity if that's what you need to live with your decisions but you don't need to spew it here.

This should be a place that respects healthy dialogue about the community we live in and care about and it's clear you don't live here or care about it so kindly pack the rest of the baggage you left here in Winnipeg and head back west. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Please take Ozabald with you and never return. Nobody cares about your life in Ontario or how you feel about the city any longer. Between the both of you, your constant trolling posts are tiresome and no one wants to read them anymore.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:07 AM

Anywho, we should probably end the metachat and right this ship back on to Winnipeg's burgeoning population haha. If we keep adding two Steinbachs a year, we're definitely going to need some help from the province on critical infrastructure. This won't be sustainable for long. The province needs to seriously examine how to direct more immigrants to places like Brandon, Selkirk, Steinbach, etc. Spread the load a bit.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Anywho, we should probably end the metachat and right this ship back on to Winnipeg's burgeoning population haha. If we keep adding two Steinbachs a year, we're definitely going to need some help from the province on critical infrastructure. This won't be sustainable for long. The province needs to seriously examine how to direct more immigrants to places like Brandon, Selkirk, Steinbach, etc. Spread the load a bit.
I think part of the reason why the city is already committing to more proposals and plans, as well as the imminent system change of Winnipeg Transit in preparation for the next phases of Rapid Transit, is because of what we are seeing now. If the population growth trend accelerates any further, we would have to fast track on transit, and increase funding on road repairs and upgrades.

As I mentioned before, now is the perfect time to increase growth by building up, and not out. Renew older neighbourhoods like what the city is planning with Point Douglas.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Please take Ozabald with you and never return. Nobody cares about your life in Ontario or how you feel about the city any longer. Between the both of you, your constant trolling posts are tiresome and no one wants to read them anymore.
You sound triggered. Keep your head in the sand like an ostrich. Winnipeg and Manitoba have a net loss with respect to inter-provincial migration. A prudent approach would be to address the reasons why. But, folks like you in your Winnipeg bubble think everything is grand.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
You sound triggered. Keep your head in the sand like an ostrich. Winnipeg and Manitoba have a net loss with respect to inter-provincial migration. A prudent approach would be to address the reasons why. But, folks like you in your Winnipeg bubble think everything is grand.
Why do you care so much about what goes on in Winnipeg?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan